PDA

View Full Version : DH89 at London City

Fried_Chicken
2nd May 2005, 22:20
Hi all,
Noticed DH89 GAKIF sat on the GA apron at London City today, presumably a first visit to type to the London aerodrome (unless one has visited during one of the LCY Fundays) as the type hasn't got full certification for City ops. Presumably it was an emergency diversion, does anybody have the full details?

Fried Chicken

Avman
3rd May 2005, 10:59
Sssh, it's a secret but, it's in the process of obtaining full certification for the new AVMANAIR LCY-MST shuttle. :cool:

Fried_Chicken
4th May 2005, 16:36
Cheers Avman,
I would have thought the DH89 would have suited a LHR-MST route better?

FC

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th May 2005, 17:08
Jeez.... the first REAL aeroplane to visit LCY?

AlanM
4th May 2005, 17:45
Not exactly a planned visit.

Unless when they left Duxford on Sunday with their punters for a view of London they expected the word MAYDAY to be used when one of the donk's stops! (Well it was the 1st of May!)

Nice tight circuit to visual runway 28..... lucky the airfield had just opened.

Well done to the crew. No snags and a well excuted landing. (A nice addition to someone's logbook!!!!!) But yes HD, a nice change to get a real Classic Wing into the docks.

Fried_Chicken
4th May 2005, 20:54
Almost as nice as the few classic warbirds that were at the LCY Funday last year!

Quick question & drifting off topic, what service does LCY Tower provide on these fundays? How high are display aircraft allowed to go (presumably 3,000ft as I believe Heathrow inbounds are being dropped to 4,000ft around here?)

MTIA
Fried Chicken

AlanM
5th May 2005, 06:09
FC

It is an A/G or FISO service...... as at least one non-LCY person is on the airwaves.

Yes, 3000 feet is generally the max. however, if LHR are on Easterlies then a bit higher may be given.

I heard that there wasn't to be a funday at LCY this year (Yeah, I know, everyday isa funday at LCY!!:)

treadigraph
5th May 2005, 06:40
Jeez.... the first REAL aeroplane to visit LCY?

LH's JU-52 operated some flights out of there several years ago... THAT must have startled the neighbours! :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th May 2005, 07:22
Ahh yes.. the JU-52.. remember that at Heathrow. Brilliant machine.

They're not going to start trips in the DH89 at LCY are they? Now what was the lady's name who used to do that at Heathrow.......??

Seloco
5th May 2005, 07:56
I think you must be referring to Monique Agazarian, HD. She ran Island Air Services off the grass where T1 is now located at LHR. I had my first ever flight at the age of 4 in DH89 G-AGJG (now restored to flying at Duxford too), piloted by my great uncle who worked for Monique at the time. I remember we flew down the Thames and over the docks that have now become LCY.

The same great uncle (Gordon Carey) went on to be an instructor at Biggin Hill with the Surrey and Kent Flying Club in the 60s, where he taught me the rudiments of flying in Aircoupes. Sorry and Bent also had a Rapide in which we flew together a number of times. It was G-AKIF, which brings us neatly back to the thread!

ELondonPax
5th May 2005, 12:29
AlanM.
Next funday is Sat 16 July. Advertised on airport web site and on posters on the back of the shuttle buses.

AlanM
5th May 2005, 12:58
Yippeee!!!

Same weekend as RIAT.... hope that doesn't impact on the tattoo's participation list too much!!

Zlin526
5th May 2005, 15:43
lucky the airfield had just opened.

Hmmmm.....I think I would have landed even if the airport had been firmly closed. Not many places to land around there other than a nice big runway (for a Rapide) or some wet stuff..

AlanM
5th May 2005, 17:27
Hmmmm.....I think I would have landed even if the airport had been firmly closed. Not many places to land around there other than a nice big runway (for a Rapide) or some wet stuff..

Unless of course there are vehicles inspecting/maintaining the runway that aren't expecting you. (Yes, including Jenson "two weeks off" Button/JCB's etc)

Not to mention the fact that the Fire and rescue teams were manned for them.

That was my point!! And as someone with an emergency I would imagine the call from Radar "You are cleared to land runway 10 or 28" is better than "At your discretion, I haven't a scooby WHO is on the black stuff......."