PDA

View Full Version : Last B 757 Delivered.

seacue
2nd May 2005, 19:03
The last B 757 has been delivered, it was the 1050-th in a production run of 23 years. Boeing claims that over 1030 757s are still in service. That's over 98% of the total production.

Argonautical
3rd May 2005, 08:15
Would anyone know if Boeing actually made a profit with the aeroplane ?

Read somewhere that they never will make a profit on the B767.

Dr Illitout
3rd May 2005, 08:47
The 757 in history and nostalgia I feel so old!
The 757 was the first "Modern" aircraft I worked on. I remember going into the flight deck and thinking how "High tech" it looked compared to the Wessex and Seaking!.
It's still the best looking Boeing ever though (IMHO)

Rgds Dr I

treadigraph
3rd May 2005, 11:44
Still remember seeing it at Farnborough in '82 and the first BA examples in early '83 - doesn't time fly?

Have to agree with Dr Illitout that it's the best looking Boeing - so long as we are only talking about jet airliners!

Argonautical
3rd May 2005, 13:12
I reckon the best looking Boeing was the 720B. It simply oozed power.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd May 2005, 21:17
It's still the best looking Boeing ever though (IMHO) Well if you mean jetliners, but then again, how many of them are there to choose from?

It is pretty smart, but not as much as the 707 :ok:

It simply oozed power I think that was actually Skydrol :}

Irish Steve
3rd May 2005, 23:45
I think that was actually Skydrol

Even more likely it was Racasan:E :E :D

757's are pretty notorious for that as well, and with the access point being right under the centre of the belly, a toilet service can be a trial by degree, especially on some of the older FCA 757's:D . Blue ice takes on a whole new meaning once you've been near one of these. ;)

airsmiles
4th May 2005, 20:04
Anyone know which airline it was for. There was a Shanghai Airlines B757 at Boeing Field on 22 April. Would that be it ? The only other B757 there that day was the prototype N757A.

airsmiles

Worf
4th May 2005, 21:53
Airsmiles

That would be it - the 757s are actually made in Renton, where I base my Cessna.

Saw the China Airlines jet there and it was pointed out to me as the last of the line.

BTW Rentons sole runaway is 5000 ft, so the 757s and 737s made there usually only make one flight (their first) to Boeing field - after a couple of hours of testing. They have a very predictable flight routine - including cycling the gear just off the end of the runaway. Nice to watch.

Will miss the 757 flights.

Worf

airsmiles
5th May 2005, 20:53
Thanks WORF.

I had a quick look at Renton as well but only saw an all white B737-700 (PH-XRV), a Futura B737 (EC-JGE) and 2 bare metal B737's which had the same rudder colours. i.e. red with a white flash across it. Didn't recognise those colours so couldn't say which airline they were for.

My main reason for visiting was to look at the Everett plant and look around Kenmore's Beaver and Otter float-planes.

airsmiles

brakedwell
10th May 2005, 14:39
The 757 course at Boeing Field in February/March 1983 seems like it was only yesterday. Particularly the baffling map shifts in the simulator, the ninety degree crosswind during base training at Moses Lake with no pitch reference from the deep windscreens. Boeing's Dick Curry so laid back in the RHS, chain smoking his way through my attempts at a greaser. It was a shiny new world!

Georgeablelovehowindia
20th May 2005, 16:11
The 757 was the most pilot-friendly jet transport I ever flew and I liked it a lot. However my favourite was the 720B, which went up even better than the 757. I suppose my judgement might be coloured by the fact that I was a young(ish) first officer when I flew the 720B. It might be a culture shock going back to it now!

Blacksheep
24th May 2005, 07:34
I find it astonishing that it was twenty years ago that I stood on the production line at Renton and watched them joining the right wing onto the centre section of our first aircraft.

She's still with us - parked in the hangar next door, awaiting a buyer.

What really astounds me is that she's almost as old as Lancaster PA474 was when I worked on the original restoration at Waddington in '67.

Nostalgia! - what would we do without it?

Red Four
24th May 2005, 21:54
And all being well, you can catch both PA474 and a B757 displaying along Southend Seafront on Sunday/Monday.:ok:

Blacksheep
25th May 2005, 03:22
Unfortunately not. I don't arrive in UK until next Thursday morning. :(