PDA

View Full Version : mobile phone unlocking

ekoja
1st May 2005, 03:03
I seem to recalll (and I think it was in this forum) that there was a site that was available free to unlock mobiles
Could anyone assist?:D

Bigwings
1st May 2005, 09:35
Or you could try here (http://www.unlocker-forums.co.uk/index.php)

Bigwings :ok:

Coconutty
2nd May 2005, 07:40
Depends what you mean by "Unlocking" ?

You can get your Mobile "Unlocked" so it will work on any Network. Usually when you buy a handset it is locked to the provider who sold it you - "Vodafone" for example, so you can't then use it on the "Orange" network even if you put an "Orange" SIM card in it.

The various companies are obliged to give you instructions on how to unlock the handset to be used on other Networks if you ask ( and if you are free of any committment to them such as the handset is rented, or you are tied in to a fixed term contract that hasn't expired ), but they can and will CHARGE you for the privelege.

Unlocking software has been developed that lets you generate your own unlock code that has to be typed in via the keypad. The software is available on eBay etc. for minimal price but you do have to be aware of the following :

1) You only get a limited number of attempts at entering the unlock code before your handset becomes BLOCKED. This can then only be unblocked using a data cable and other software from your local dealer and will cost even more !
2) There are no guarantees if trying it yourself that it will work !
3) To generate the Unlock Code you need the Make & Model of the handset, The name of the Network Provider it is currently locked to, and the IMEI Number of the Handset. ( This is the handset Serial Number and can be obtained by typing *#06# (STAR HASH ZERO SIX HASH) on the keypad.
4) Some handsets are not compatible with some Networks, especially the latest "3G" services so you need to check with the intended service provider first.

Some people will suggest that unlocking handsets is illegal - it isn't, well not in the UK anyway, providing you own it and you have no contractual obligations relating to it.

Recent legislation in the UK is only concerned with the illegal UNBLOCKING of stolen handsets, and the changing of their IMEI number ( a bit like putting false number plates on a stolen car !).

If you want any further advice PM me with the info mentioned at 1) to 4) above.

:ok:

ExSimGuy
4th May 2005, 19:23
Does this apply to the Blackberry?

I was told that the Blackberry comes "harware locked" to OneTel, and cannot be unlocked. (I use 4 different SIMs for wherever I am, and a "locked"phone is useless to me)

I was told that the new Seimens "blackberry compatible" was "unlocked" but, trying the thing in a store in Bahrain, I found that having the body of the phone in the middle of the QWERTY keyboard made it a real pain to use.

Any ideas?

(soddit - there's always Martin Baker!)