PDA

View Full Version : AP3003 A Brief History of the Royal Air Force

Safety_Helmut
30th Apr 2005, 11:28
Does anyone know who edited this, and how old he/she was at the time.

I wonder too if anyone has any thoughts on how much this must have cost, > £250,000 perhaps ?

Safety_Helmut

BEagle
30th Apr 2005, 18:57
yeah well like we once had some cool planes. n we did some stuf like wotever in the second war. then got jets which woz cool like. n then did something in the falkall islands like. then in suadi arabia in the gulf war of 199? when we bombed sadam bin ladin. n after then its all doin me ed in an me m8s so i dunno like blah blah wotever

Mad_Mark
30th Apr 2005, 19:13
Carefull now Beags, they may come after you for breach of copyright :D

MadMark!!! :mad:

BEagle
30th Apr 2005, 19:56
nahh - yeah loike thass so unfairr so doin' me ed in

JessTheDog
30th Apr 2005, 20:07
Does anyone have a link?

It might be quite a hoot!

I am wary of "official" histories as they tend to take a conservative perspective and not admit the normal disputes that exist in history. For example, it is my opinion that "Bomber" Harris should have been dismissed by CAS Portal for repeated insubordination - I suspect you won't find that in an AP!

I found OS a waste of time as it was remembering facts parrot-fashion rather than analysing them and employing judgement.

MovinWings
30th Apr 2005, 21:23
Makes an Excellent Door Wedge............ Beagle, I haven't 'laffed' so much in ages.... thanks

MW

AllTrimDoubt
1st May 2005, 10:49
Does it run to more than 1 side of paper then? (Perhaps it uses a large font)

:p

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2005, 15:54
Yes, I know the editor. The estimate of cost was not far out. Her opinion of the reviewers here, if they are aircrew, was 'what would you expect of a bunch of aircrew?'

Now if we want to talk analysis, who set out the requirement for Hardened Aircraft Shelters?

Which allied commander, by post, thought they were not a good idea?

Was he right?

Safeware
1st May 2005, 17:18
There's a similar CD as well isn't there? - must check the office on Tues.

sw

BEagle
1st May 2005, 17:24
CD? yeah like so uncoll me an me m8s wanna DVD ov lotsa cool jets droppin' boms an' $hit. like wotever - wanna see things go boom yeah

C130 Techie
1st May 2005, 20:00
Beags I thinks there is a job for you in RAF Corporate Communications

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2005, 20:03
C130 techie, RAF Corporate what?

Sorry no such animal.

RAF Media and Communications as of last Monday.

There was a CD with no scene lasting more that 5 seconds and noteworthy for the poor sap in the opening credits with a sceptic spot nose dead-centre.

7 year old niece "Why has that man got a spot on his nose?" Retire niece bored.

BEagle
1st May 2005, 20:17
"Beags I thinks there is a job for you in RAF Corporate Communications"

yeah like cool wotever.

Pontius Navigator
1st May 2005, 20:26
beags, you're not eligble. It's a home a home for dead wg cdrs and gp capts.

[Only joking Sir. I didn't mean it, only winding Beagle up Sir.]

BEagle
1st May 2005, 20:35
thass SO unfair it duz me ed in

i mean like yeah blah blah wotever

A good headin
2nd May 2005, 11:59
When they were delivered we noticed that our box was one of 4000. In each box there were 14 of the quality products so that makes 56000 of the damned things floating around wedging open doors and providing great amusement throughout the crewrooms of the worlds airforces.

Cost? Well we reckon they are probably worth about a £5 to make so that adds up to £280,000. No doubt the Company that made them is owned by a Ret'd Air Cdr or AVM so he probably added on another £100,000 to top up his pension:D

Jackonicko
2nd May 2005, 12:10
So who is going to send me one?

ZH875
2nd May 2005, 12:20
Jacko, try e-bay, they crop up regularly.

timex
2nd May 2005, 12:42
So thats a concise History of the RAF (x amount of £'s)
"Gucci" Typhoon trainers. (more £'s)
RAF daysacks....(even more £'s)
FAA arm badges (oh even more money)

Sounds like the best way of getting value for your / my money?

JessTheDog
2nd May 2005, 12:49
When were these fine books distributed?

Also, were they sent out-of-area as well?!?

A good headin
2nd May 2005, 13:27
We got ours a few months ago just as my service ethos and core values were flagging.

I hope they haven't been sent OOA as the lads will be even more depressed. I suppose after 4 months in the desert the very ugly waffies pictured within might just start to look attractive :yuk:

The Helpful Stacker
2nd May 2005, 13:50
So thats a concise History of the RAF (x amount of £'s)
"Gucci" Typhoon trainers. (more £'s)
RAF daysacks....(even more £'s)
FAA arm badges (oh even more money)

Sounds like the best way of getting value for your / my money?

You forgot to mention the 'Royal Air Force' badges for CS95 clothing.

Because a blue/grey beret, a cap badge and a blue rank slide aren't enough to show we're in the RAF.

:rolleyes:

Scud-U-Like
3rd May 2005, 16:52
I've quite warmed to the reconstructed Beags.

5 Forward 6 Back
3rd May 2005, 17:40
So thats a concise History of the RAF (x amount of £'s)......

... and I don't have a pair of flying gloves that fit (the size is too popular...)

... I don't have an immersion suit with the right sized feet (waiting for more stock, then staff to make them up...)

... and there's no neck roll, so when I do wear the too-small imm suit, I get nappy rash round my neck :}

But on the bright side, on my next visit to stores I'll get a **** rucksack, a bunch of green badges for my next stint on CCS, and a copy of AP3003.

Is there a chapter entitled "how good it used to be when we had a ton of cash?"

:ok:

P.S. I love my job really :E

Cambridge Crash
4th May 2005, 06:52
To answer the original question, AP 3003 was written by the previous D Def Studs (RAF), based at Shrivenham. His name appears on page iv of the introduction.

CC

Safety_Helmut
5th May 2005, 07:27
Thanks Cambridge Crash, I really must start reading from the front of a book. I am surprised that its authors/editors etc have actually had the nerve to claim responsibility for what is at best, error strewn, at worst, a shambles.

Would anyone on pprune care to own up to being one of its creators then ?

56,000 copies, i have read elsewhere. :yuk:

Safety_Helmut

Cambridge Crash
5th May 2005, 07:55
S-H,

I have managed to obtain a copy of AP 3003 and I would be interested in a list of the errors that are strewn throughout the document, so I can review it from an academic perspective (rather than from the view of those serving).

CC

BigginAgain
5th May 2005, 09:10
To be fair, I don't think the 'Typhoon Trainers' are anything other than a licensing exercise for the RAF, though I stand to be corrected.

As for the CS 95 badges, I would agree with the helpful stacker:

Because a blue/grey beret, a cap badge and a blue rank slide aren't enough to show we're in the RAF.

except that I've got a couple of mates serving with 16 Air Assault Brigade who, despite being RAF officers, are forced to wear para berets, identity patches and comedy belts to show that they belong to the Brigade. I am still not convinced this is legal, but I suppose that if the Brigadier says it must be, it must be. Don't half look silly when they visit RAF units in their pongo gear though. (I thought you had to do Pee Company to get one of those pink hats?)

On the subject of AP3003, I believe most of the SPFSs hold them (in huge stacks of brown boxes).

BA

Safety_Helmut
5th May 2005, 10:00
CC

I would certainly be willing to proof read it, not sure what the standard fees are for that sort of work though. :8

As a starter though, have a look at pages 198 and 199 and tell me if they are not the same pictures, but with different captions.

Safety_Helmut

Pontius Navigator
5th May 2005, 12:04
AHB admit that there are caption errors, one shows a IX Sqn ac when it should be XXX because they used the number 9 instead of 29.

The guy in the pressure suit is a bit light, the suit is empty.

etc etc

She knows there are errors and would like to update these in a reprint. There are also lots of omissions as 'my' favourite story, operation, exercise or whatever, has been omitted, but there is too much call on space.

Red Line Entry
5th May 2005, 13:37
Best bit is the photo of OC 617 with caption describing him as OC IX (page 291)

I hear he wasn't happy (and quite understandably really!)

Safety_Helmut
11th Jun 2005, 21:11
The cost of producing the 60,000 copies of AP3003 was asked and answered in the house: £100,668.

Much less than I think many of us expected, but, money well spent ?

Safety_Helmut

PhilM
13th Jun 2005, 23:23
Did anyone read the article on Page 11 of the Mail On Sunday??

Looked remarkably like this thread.......:{

Mind you, come to think of it, thats not the first "PPRuNe" story I've seen hit the papers....you saw it here first kids :ok:

weeny
14th Jun 2005, 10:08
The 3003 is'nt particuarly absorbant but does make an average doorstop or a great wobbly table/chair rectification device. If you have not received one then it is probably sat in my office with the other 17 copies that have accumulated there in various hidey-holes over the past few months.

On the rucsack subject I have heard in conversation from at least two people how they walk to their car in the morning using a normal civilian rucsac then either on reaching said automobile, or when reaching their place of work, they shove the civvy one inside the RAF sack to complete their commute. Something to do with the high viz wording and birdy on the top flap....

I still smirk to myself when I think back to the time everyone was 'issued' a CD that you could pop into your PC and be enlightened as to where our assets were the previous year and what they were all supposed to do...within minutes of opening the packaging and realising how utterly pants it was every office in my squadron had some lovely new coasters for our expensive personalised mugs.

JessTheDog
14th Jun 2005, 10:32
I still smirk to myself when I think back to the time everyone was 'issued' a CD that you could pop into your PC and be enlightened as to where our assets were the previous year and what they were all supposed to do...within minutes of opening the packaging and realising how utterly pants it was every office in my squadron had some lovely new coasters for our expensive personalised mugs.

That's not the History of Air Power one, by any chance?

It made a great frisbee and was thrown around the Mess and various ops rooms in quiet moments...

sooms
14th Jun 2005, 20:46
I have yet to see this book but await it with anticipation, having read about it in the MOS.
Why are we wasting money on stuff like this- are our leaders really that out of touch? Even £100000 could have been better spent on a new SLAM unit or doing up a few rooms in the Mess or a couple of MQ's.
I remember as a recruit at Swinderby having lectures on the history of the service and having to pass an exam on said subject- do we still do this?
Likewise, whats all this mission statement guff? Even when I was a spotty 17yr old LAC I knew what I was in the RAF for, and what my units role was- do we really need it spelt out in 12in high letters? Is communication in the service really that bad?

I guess it is as my wife came home from work today and told me that the GR4 force (of which I am a member) is taking over Afganistan from JFH next year, according to a bloke at work who reads Air Forces Monthly. Assuming this is true, it would have nice to have heard it from someone in a green or blue suit, rather than grumpy wife contemplately yet more separation!

Archimedes
14th Jun 2005, 21:28
Sooms,

Air Forces Monthly says:

" The JFH deployment is expected to continue until December 2006, when Kandahar will be able to accommodate the fixed wing community and allow the RAF Tornado force to take over the detatchment".

It doesn't say who expects this...

philrigger
15th Jun 2005, 11:02
As this is an Air Publication, can we expect a series of amendments to correct all the crap in it?:*

FatBaldChief
15th Jun 2005, 15:08
I have AL1 to the said AP. It is a chapter entitled
'We haven't got a clue how many troops we have got, or for that matter, where they are'.
This is in reaction to my F765 submission after I received 3 copies with my name on!!

Fatbaldandonlyneedonemorecopytoraisemycoffeetable
:8