PDA

View Full Version : Tiger has Arrived

Wonderworld
29th Apr 2005, 05:33
For those Mac users I have installed Tiger Mac OSX 10.4 on both my Powerbooks and it is excellent!!

Well done once again Apple :D

Evo
29th Apr 2005, 05:48
My copy should be arriving some time this morning... :8

Engineer
29th Apr 2005, 07:47
Does Virtual PC version 7 works ok with the new OSX 10.4?

Evo
29th Apr 2005, 15:59
Well, it arrived, installed easily, and it's a very cool upgrade. Everything that I use works fine*, Dashboard is cool (especially the ripple effect when you drop a widget onto the desktop :)) and Spotlight is really, really, seriously cool. Very fast, very accurate and digs up all sorts of stuff - the kind of tool that changes how you use the computer. XP suddenly looks rather old in comparison.

only gripe is that it really wants to sell you a .Mac account when you install. "Oh, go on, go on..."

* can't comment about VPC - did it ever work ok...? :rolleyes:

WaldoPepper
10th May 2005, 08:12
Installed it and as above posts said, it's fantasic. Just one thing though...

Apple still has this problem with java and web browsers. I gave up on Safari with one banking site and used Firefox. After the 10.4 update Firefox won't run the site either. I can't view it with anything at the moment, I have about a month to sort it out before more bills are due.

My only option looks like to use VPC and see if that works.

Come on Apple ! Everything else you make works !

Evo
10th May 2005, 08:26
I've found an annoying 10.4 problem with 802.11g/WPA-PSK (with a Netgear 834G). My iMac drops the wireless connection if it's left unused for "some time" (overnight, or if it sleeps) and it's impossible to reconnect, reselecting the old network connection always fails. The only way to restart it is to click on the airport icon on the top right of the screen, click 'other' and re-enter the SSID and WPA keyphrase; when I click 'ok' the connection is usually refused, but after a few clicks on 'try again' it connects.

This very occasionally happened with 10.3.x, but happens every time with 10.4 :{

As for internet banking, i've never seen a problem with Firefox on 10.3 or 10.4 - worth dropping an email to your bank?

goates
10th May 2005, 14:51
There is a patch in the works already for Tiger. Looks like it fixes about 3 dozen issues.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1058

The problem with web browsers other than IE and banks is usually due to the bank not wanting to support anything else. Although maybe something changed in Tiger that broke FireFox.

goates

Narada
15th May 2005, 18:19
Engineer: Yes, Virtual PC 7 - with updated patch 7.0.1 available free - works "OK" on Tiger. For networking, the "Virtual Switch" may not work (doesn't, for me), but the "Shared Networking" works, with VPC accessing the network like an OS X application, not the network card directly.

Engineer
15th May 2005, 21:24
Narada :ok:

Evo
17th May 2005, 09:05
10.4.1 is out now ... and fixed my WPA problems... :)