PDA

View Full Version : What next and with who and where ?

Leezyjet
27th Apr 2005, 18:37
I know that my question is one that ultimately only I can answer but thought I'd try and get some advice first to help me make the decision.

I have just passed my PPL in South Africa, (still waiting for the license to come through) and need some advice on what to do next.

Am I best going back to SA to hour build, then doing then rest over here, or continue on in SA to do the CPL/IR over there then convert it and do the ATPL's here, or begin a modular course and do the rest over here (I'm in the UK btw) ?.

I'd prefer to do the ATPL's here first, but can I begin them yet with just a PPL and 42hours ?.

Obviously cost is a major factor too and I'd need the most cost efficient option (not necessarily the cheapest option) as I understand that it could end up costing me almost as much to do the CPL/IR overseas then converting it as it would to do it over here !.

I've read so much info, that it's all getting confusing. :confused:

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

:)

silverknapper
27th Apr 2005, 19:22
IMHO - I await to be shouted down though!
What is your ideal first job? If the thought of some bush flying appeals then get back there, do the SA comm and fly 206s about for a while - something I wish I had done.
But if a UK licence and job is your goal I would:
1. Get over there and do perhaps 2/3rds of your required hour building. It's so cheap there and the flying is certainly as challenging as the UK. If you can do the SA night rating. It'll count towards the UK CPL but is far more challenging than the UK one. It also is much more IF based - I would say it compares with our IMC.
2. Come back and do your writtens.
3. Finish hour building here, trying to work towards accuracy on your navs.
4. CPL/IR here. This is perhaps where I'll be yelled at. But you asked for different views so this is mine. I have personally yet to meet someone who went to another country, got their CPL/IR then converted here smoothly and in min hours. I have around 7 mates who tried and none found it the easy, cost effective route it is made out to be. If you worked on the foreign licence it iis different - you have experience. But as a cost saving measure I don't think it adds up.

You can start the ATPL's here no bother with an ICAO PPL, which you have.

Enjoy

SK