PDA

View Full Version : Tail Collapse pics?

girtbar
27th Apr 2005, 17:51
Hi, am i completely loosing the grey matter? Im sure i saw pics of either an Embraer or Canadair aircraft that had a heavy landing resulting in the tail section collapsing. I might have the aircraft type wrong but its of similar size im sure and im not confusing the video of the Dc-9 as its a more recent event.

Does anyone know of such an event and if there are any pics? I have done a search here, airliners.net and airdisaster.com but nothing has shown up, but im sure my eyes didnt imagine it!!!

.....or have i completely lost it and need sectioned?

Cheers anyway

<---GirtBar--->

jettesen
27th Apr 2005, 18:14
no you haven't lost it. I have seen the one you are talking about. I will try and find it for you

mach2moose
27th Apr 2005, 18:25
Maybe you are thinking of the "bit late on the roundout, Hoskins" demo flight at the Farnborough Air Show, some years ago.

Some sort of Canadian beastie, I recall.

Slightly embarrasing, or what?

M2M

jettesen
27th Apr 2005, 18:28
Here you go. WWW.alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm

scroll down to hard landing!!

mach2moose
27th Apr 2005, 20:47
Excellent link.....but I was thinking of the "Commuter Plane Demo Crash"............a Buffalo!

M2M

girtbar
27th Apr 2005, 21:40
Thanks Jettesen but thats not the one! :{

Im fairly sure it was a small commuter jet, engines mounted on the rear. And i could swear there were photos showing the damage of the inside, thankfully if the grey matter holds out i think no one was seriously hurt.

.....i can see the men in white coats coming for me already :\

Cheers

<--GirtBar-->

PaperTiger
28th Apr 2005, 16:53
You're not wrong girtbar. Two ERJs have been written off as a result of meeting Mother Earth somewhat exuberantly, and both broke their backs. I've seen the pics too, but a cursory google didn't turn them up.
Reggies were N14931 (Continental) and PT-SBE (RioSul) if that helps any.

rhythm method
29th Apr 2005, 00:10
Paper Tiger is correct, I think the incident you are referring to is an Embraer 145 landing in Sao Paolo? where the tail end snappe doff just aft of the wing trailing edge. The crew thought it was just a 'firm' landing and were trying to taxi off the runway when ATC told them of the true extent of the damage. Saw the pictures you referred to from inside the aircraft...

will try searching, but don't think I have them anymore.. sorry

Mad (Flt) Scientist
29th Apr 2005, 00:47
It was RioSul that had the pics of the inside after the hard landing - they were in a Brazilian paper, IIRC. Don't think the tail actually came off, from what I recall, but there was some pretty significant damage, can't believe it wasn't a write-off. I think I still have the pics (on a work computer) - if I can find a way to post them I will if someone else hasn't put them up by the time I get to it.

edit: OK, I see the next poster put them up

lamer
29th Apr 2005, 17:55
crackup (http://aviationpics.de/mish/2001/crack/crack.htm)

Pilot Pete
29th Apr 2005, 21:22
Was it This One (http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/MD-80.mpeg) , from the same website mentioned above? It's an MD80/DC-9.

PP

rhythm method
1st May 2005, 22:17
lamer,

yep.. that's the one I was referring to.

RM

1McLay
2nd May 2005, 00:27
Does anyone know why that MD80 landed like that?:ooh:

747FOCAL
2nd May 2005, 01:08
Well if its the Douglas flight test video it was an FAA pilot trying to accomplish an abuse landing. Problem was he let the sink rate get away from him and touched down at like 16 ft per second if I remember right. :\

Kestrel_909
2nd May 2005, 09:00
My imagination or are there pictures of an Air Canada 747 landing and the rear left fuselage 'cracking'

Thanks for the link to the videos, love the one for the Ford :D

PaperTiger
2nd May 2005, 15:38
are there pictures of an Air Canada 747 landing and the rear left fuselage 'cracking' Yes there is, and it is a FAKE. Some (admittedly good) Photoshop manipulation of 2 photos - AC747 landing normally at YVR and the 'bomb test' 747 destroyed at Bruntigthorpe.