PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry FM (Flight Manual) on board A320s

yaverona
27th Apr 2005, 14:54
hi,

Do you carry FM (Flight Manual) near by FCOMS on board A320s? If you carry, any idea why do you carry FM, when there is no Airbus procedures to go FM and take some actions?

I can not find any good answers, why there is FM in cockpit.

Also, same type of question I have. Do you carry Weight & Balance manual in cockpit?

I would like to hear different sounds.

Best Regards

Busdrvr
27th Apr 2005, 15:08
We carry both the FM (we call volume 1), and the weight and balance (volume 2). Oddly enough, about 8 months ago the company started removing all the FM's from the aircraft, but the crews started to complain. So they quickly put them back.

I like it there so I can use it to study for recurrent ground school. Also once we had an issue on take off, the #1 oil pressure was normal around 260psi, but the #2 was around 315psi. It was still green, but it was odd to see such a split. The only place that listed any numbers for max psi was the FM.

yaverona
27th Apr 2005, 16:32
hi,

thanks for reply. I see you find very good method to study for re-current. FM just good summary for FCOMS.

Do you have a company procedure which is pointing to FM for any abnormal or emergency near by normal procedures?

For us, all procedures are pointing FCOMS.

brgds

FE Hoppy
28th Apr 2005, 07:46
Legal requirements.
Check with your National Aviation Authority.
You will find a list of the required documents. AFM is one of them.

mutt
28th Apr 2005, 09:46
As FE Hoppy has stated its a legal requirement and is also a requirement of the new IATA standards. But I've yet to see a crewmember use it.

Mutt.

john_tullamarine
28th Apr 2005, 11:15
Minor point of order in respect of variation with jurisdiction ...

Australia, for instance, permits the use of an operations manual in lieu of the AFM (which need not be carried) provided that all the AFM information is included in the ops manual (not necessarily in a similar manner or format) and the operation is under the provision of an AOC.

Reference is CAR (1988) 139 (3) (http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pastereg/0/51/0/PR004510.htm).

Similarly, the OEM weight and balance manual may be, but is not usually, carried for Australian airline operations .. the data being included in the ops manual to an extent appropriate for crew needs.

yaverona
28th Apr 2005, 15:20
hi,

we are jar operator and jar does not give any list of documents. It says only neccassary documents to make safe operation.

Why FCOMS are not enough to make safe operation?

Old Smokey
28th Apr 2005, 15:22
John_T,

A good point for Australian operations. For one Australian operation for which I hold a substantial degree of control, the AFM and it's supplements is still carried, although the FCOM (which was the originating document from which all data was developed) is the only approved reference document.

It has been necessary to add rather stern warnings in the FCOM "Do NOT use AFM data". (the unspoken words being....at risk of conflict with the AOC).

Regards,

Old Smokey

Blacksheep
29th Apr 2005, 01:05
In most legislations it is a legal requirement to carry one copy the Certificate of Airworthiness aboard the aircraft. As a point of law, the Flight Manual is part of the Certificate of Airworthiness. Ergo, it is a legal requirement to carry the Flight Manual on the aircraft.

Whether or not you use it for reference is for the company's own Flight Operations Department to decide. You should be aware that not all aircraft in the same fleet have the same technical and operational specifications. The differences are to be found in the AFM which is particular to an aircraft by manufacturer's serial number. Most companies edit the aircraft specific AFM data into the company Operations Manual as generic data applicable to all aircraft in the fleet; the AFM itself is not used as a live document.

Thridle Op Des
29th Apr 2005, 03:27
At EK we are also required to carry the FM on board the aircraft.

An interesting (if slightly anal) aside is the variation of statements within the FM as to whether TOGA will be selected in the case of an engine failure after V1. We operate the 330-200, 340-300 and the 340-500 as MFF

In the case of the 332 and the 345 there is a statement which says 'you MAY select TOGA' whereas the 343 says catagorically that 'TOGA MUST be selected'.

While these variations are not highlighted in the FCOM and airmanship would suggest that with a 343 TOGA is appropriate at all times, it is these little things that will either be used in court against us or give us an adjacent view of the houses getting bigger.