PDA

View Full Version : Snoopys last flight

Noise_Jammer
27th Apr 2005, 10:40
The last flight of the only W Mk 2 Hercules took place today. Snoopy left its Wiltshire base of the last 10 years for Cambridge under ownership of Marshall Aerospace.
Having had its RAF markings removed a number of months ago they were rapidly reapplied at the beginning of the week, reinstating its military registration of XV208.
Rumoured to be the replacement for the sad loss of the C Mk 1 earlier this year, it is to be converted back to a C Mk 1 and "swapped" for a C Mk 3. The C Mk 3 will then become the engine test bed for the A400M.

Mike51
28th Apr 2005, 06:38
Hasn't this one been sold to the Dutch AF?

Princess La La
28th Apr 2005, 09:56
The Dutch decided against it.

C130 Techie
28th Apr 2005, 11:34
The source of your rumour regarding Snoopy is way off the mark.

Snoopy itself will be used by Marshalls to test the A400 propellor

lineslime
28th Apr 2005, 18:01
On the subject of the A400, if it took Airbus such a reasonably short time to put the A380 together why is the A400 taking so long? Silly question I know but I had to ask it.

highveldtdrifter
28th Apr 2005, 18:01
I have heard that Airbus are considering using a C-130K for the low speed A400 engine trials, and possibly an A340 for the higher speed envelope. I would have thought this was a fitting end for 208, although I hope they don't trash the airframe.

fergineer
28th Apr 2005, 23:45
I think the test bed would be a fine end for Snoops, with all the extra holes and bits and pieces that were fitted to the aircraft during its time at MRF I think trying to restore it to use as a 'normal' Herc would prove costly.....Low hours yes well used and to the envelope yes but let it be used for something like the test bed something to remember the old un by.......had fun flying in it with the flight some good tales could be told RIP Snoops and bring on them engines.........

callsign Metman
29th Apr 2005, 11:58
Indeed. Snoopy is a fine aircraft and use as a test bed would be an excellent use of her low hours (but V well used!) frame. Thanks to all the excellent crews we had over the years.

Snoopys replacement, not that she could EVER be replaced mind, can be viewed here...

http://www.faam.ac.uk/

regards

CM

SirPeterHardingsLovechild
29th Apr 2005, 18:17
I was under the impression that the Dutch had already bought Snoopy.

I could give my old Chief from 84 Sqn a ring, as he is the MAe Dutch Liason bloke, but I don't want to encourage hard facts on pprune. :}

On_The_Top_Bunk
10th Oct 2006, 17:52
http://www.asmh37.dsl.pipex.com/FTB.jpg

Snoopy? Or is it? Back to work with the A400 engine flying test bed.

Where R We?
10th Oct 2006, 18:05
I think someone has been very nifty with Photoshop as according to this quote

http://www.a400m-countdown.com/index.php?v=2&spage=6

its not being delivered to Marshalls until November 2007 to be fitted onto a C-130, almost definitely Snoopy. However, I will have a chat with some people at work tomorrow.

In addition, there is only 1.2m difference between the diameter of a A400M prop and the prop on a K.

On_The_Top_Bunk
10th Oct 2006, 18:11
The photo is genuine. (I am led to believe) Just wanted to confirm it was Snoopy.

The Helpful Stacker
10th Oct 2006, 18:19
The shadows underneath the starboard wing don't appear to be right and the leading edges of the A400M prop looks blurred, as often found in cut-and-shut photoshop pictures

mlc
10th Oct 2006, 18:22
That's definitely a photoshop!

Where R We?
10th Oct 2006, 18:32
I don't know if Snoopy was ever painted in Olive Green and I can't believe that they would just to make it a ETB. In addition, I would have thought that the engine would have had lots of words to advertise the manufacturer, its not like they would want to keep it a secret :)

10th Oct 2006, 19:48
Snoopy is certainly going to be the A400M testbed. And I don't see anything wrong with the shadows.

The Helpful Stacker
10th Oct 2006, 19:59
Snoopy is certainly going to be the A400M testbed. And I don't see anything wrong with the shadows.

The shadows on the main fuselage appear to be lit as if the sun was on the starboard side of the a/c whereas the shadows beneath the port wing appears to be cast from a light source low in the sky to the port.

Of course then there is the small matter of light sheen on the A400M propeller appearing to be produced by artificial lighter rather than the natural light that is playing over the rest of the a/c.

Shall I go on?

The Helpful Stacker
10th Oct 2006, 20:03
Ooo look, a complete A400M actually in flight.
http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=11806
Must be somewhere dangerous too as its firing its flares.:rolleyes:

chevvron
10th Oct 2006, 20:20
I remember '208 when it came back from the Gulf after 'sniffing' all the oil fires started by Saddam at the end of GW1; it was absolutely filthy with streaks of oily residue all down the fuselage!
It didn't seem to want to leave Farnborough, making several visits after EFW had departed to Boscombe.

10th Oct 2006, 20:35
If you look at the shadows of the towing arm and nose, the light is from the port side. But the whole prop set looks fuzzy.

Severance
10th Oct 2006, 20:36
I dunno, how easy it is to be fooled. The above pic is quite obviously a fake, taken from the original....... :}

Sev

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m298/zahc66/1.jpg

mary_hinge
10th Oct 2006, 20:40
The URL for the "photo" is http://www.asmh37.dsl.pipex.com/FTB.jpg which looks a bit iffy:eek:

Also, the A400 prop needs to be larger to remain in scale with the rest of the picture:ok:

monkeybumhead
10th Oct 2006, 21:00
It's quite simple really. The shadow cast by #2 donk is most deffo that of the T56-A15, the size of the spinner and shape of the blades gives it away. Time to lie down now I feel all geeked out.

umba
10th Oct 2006, 21:36
Is that Neil Armstrong or Buzz Aldrin in the DV Window?

High_lander
10th Oct 2006, 22:11
It possibly one of the worst photoshop jobs I've seen.

But-meh- each to their own.

Any update on Snoopy?

Father Jack Hackett
10th Oct 2006, 22:20
I'm sure I can see the gunman on the grassy knoll in the distance. And isn't that an unmanned drone in the top right hand corner about to hit the pentagon......

Welcome to the Professional Pilots' Conspiracy website;)

Set Power
11th Oct 2006, 09:11
Snoopy is in the Hangar @ Cambridge still in the same colour scheme but with a MA logo alongside the flight deck and minus the pointy nose and external sensors. The airframe is being prepared to take the new engine and being beefed up somewhat (unsurprisingly)... The engine mounting arrived from Airbus a few weeks ago and is yet to be installed, but the crux of the matter is that the clearance between the other engine blades, ground and fuselage is somewhat reduced from the standard 'K', making it an interesting 100 hour flight test programme... Also the TP400-D6 engine will rotate the 'other way' to a standard 'K' Allison - as per the A400M design - to eliminate the possibility of significant sideways motion at higher power settings... This is one big Prop..

callsign Metman
11th Oct 2006, 11:51
We have it here in our (ex MRF) lab in the shiny new Met Office in Exeter. I hope to have it on display soon as a reminder of the old days. The nose boom is just over 14ft long and tapers from a diameter of 670mm at the aircraft end to about 30mm at the pointy end where the pitot tube was fitted. It's made from 16swg aluminium. Anyone wish to have a guess on it's weight?

regards

CM

Blodwyn Pig
11th Oct 2006, 12:15
that has to be photoshopped picture of one of the ex-RAF ,austrian aircraft, all the raf short aircraft are SF, and have lots of bits stuck all over them.
the austrian aircraft are short, that colour green, but don't have all the bits stuck to them.
they are also regular visitors to cambridge for maintenance.

propulike
13th Oct 2006, 18:10
I wonder if LM will do anything?

Perhaps a PR stunt like 'The A400 - can't get airborne without a Herc..." ;)