PDA

View Full Version : Grrrr theres a tiger at large

Buc Driver
27th Apr 2005, 09:26
230 squadron have painted up one of their pumas in a full wrap around tiger scheme. If you have access to BBC1 Northern Ireland or UTV there should be coverage on both channels tonight from 6pm.

PICKS135
27th Apr 2005, 10:29
http://www.aeroimage.co.uk/LH/tiger.jpg
For those without Irish TV coverage. it's here.

Matt Skrossa
27th Apr 2005, 10:44
Nice picture of the Puma with the latest top-secret stealth rotor blade technology. Great tactically, but a bugger when trying a confined area landing!

Onan the Clumsy
27th Apr 2005, 12:48
But not if you're landing amongst the latest top-secret stealth trees.

Wait a minute though... :confused:

FORMER PIONEER
27th Apr 2005, 13:29
What's the point of putting the latest stealth blades on an aircraft that's been painted by a 6 year old with limited access to colours?:D

Flap62
27th Apr 2005, 14:24
Hmmmm!

Makes it a bit difficult to complain about overstretch when you see things like this doesn't it!

Safeware
27th Apr 2005, 14:32
Makes it a bit difficult to complain about overstretch when you see things like this doesn't it!

Presume it was either 'irreducable spare capacity' or, as FP said, a 6 yr old was drafted in.

:)

sw

ShyTorque
27th Apr 2005, 18:24
Just 23 years ago we did the same thing at Gutersloh, possibly using the same airframe..... must look out my old photos.

Can't remember for certain as I was Officer i/c beer for the duration....

It DID have a main rotor gearbox in '82 though... cos' we flew it.

charliegolf
27th Apr 2005, 18:26
They've been painting them up like that for years- got 'em into tiger meets.

Don't think they ever twigged that all the others were jets, and they were convenient taxis!

CG

ShyTorque
27th Apr 2005, 22:41
CG,

No point in letting the facts get in the way of a few sour grapes, eh, old bean?

Taxis or not, in my time, 230 Sqn and the other "non-jets" were usually the only ones allowed to fly during the meets.

ORAC
28th Apr 2005, 04:59
Gotta a photo at home, taken in Belize back in 79, of a tiger cub sticking it's head out of a puma cockpit window. :O

Tiger_mate
28th Apr 2005, 06:10
Excellent!!

It is a similar scheme to the 82 colours but painted better. Lets hope that the personell attending bring home the silver tiger, as they have got very close to it in recent years whilst unable to paint any of the cabs beyond the nose panel.

For the bah humbugs that think it a waste of taxpayers, every other NATO nation contribute a paint scheme every year. I would imagine that like the 1989 paint job, this one has only been allowed because the airframe is due a total repaint in the near future anyway, which will put it green again before the airshow season is out.

10/10 Tick VG

Duncan Bucket
28th Apr 2005, 09:07
CG

Don't think they ever twigged that all the others were jets, and they were convenient taxis!

You mean the others like the SK 6 (now stripey Merlin) of 814 NAS "The Flying Tigers", or the Czech Hinds?

ShyTorque
28th Apr 2005, 11:44
ORAC,

Are you sure it wasn't MANCUB looking out of the window? ;)

Zoom
28th Apr 2005, 11:58
I think it looks pretty cool, although I would prefer to see the scheme adorning some punchy fast jet.

bluetail
28th Apr 2005, 17:47
Hang on a minute.................isn,t 230,s sqn badge a Puma........stretching it a bit aren,t they going the whole way like that,... I know..... they have done it before though just to get invited to the P1## Up

Zoom

If you plan a trips to this years RIAT at Fairford, you should see loads of them painted up, 'cos one of this years themes is "Tiger Meet 05"

engineer(retard)
28th Apr 2005, 18:04
"Hang on a minute.................isn,t 230,s sqn badge a Puma"

No but he's been a bit ill :\

ShyTorque
28th Apr 2005, 19:21
>Hang on a minute.................isn,t 230,s sqn badge a Puma........<

A Puma?

What - a stripey one? :=

Hope your photography's better than your recognition :p

http://www.raf.mod.uk/squadrons/h230.html

Archimedes
28th Apr 2005, 19:55
Off the Tiger-topic, but on the subject of badge mis-identification, the RAF yearbook has claimed for more years than I can remember that 19 Sqn's badge is a fish.

buoy15
28th Apr 2005, 20:35
Costs lots of dosh to strip and spray aircraft - plus the weight factor

Who authorised this and why ?

Better still. which living tiger has more black stripes than gold ?

Big Tudor
28th Apr 2005, 20:49
Must say I preferred the Tiger paint scheme they did circa '90 at Gutersloh. Full tigers head on either side. :ok: Although the rumours at the time said they got slapped wrists off the top brass at Rheindalen when they saw it! :sad:

bluetail
28th Apr 2005, 20:54
Whoops (my mistake)..........best get behind the lens

Still...............what do you expect from a Kipper fleet matey

BT

sweep complete
28th Apr 2005, 21:17

For f**k sake get a life.

The military are supposed to have a bit of verve and flair - I say well done to 230 Sqn, the cab looks fantastic.

Tigs2
5th May 2005, 14:53
Pic Looks awesome. It looks like 224 - is it?? this was the aircraft we did at Gutersloh in the 90's. What if we were the Taxis, we had an absolute ball!What date is the Tiger meet? and is there a POC.
Thanks Tigs2

Regie Mental
5th May 2005, 15:13
You must admit that it does look more like a catfish than Flipper on the 19 Sqn crest.

:}

SilsoeSid
5th May 2005, 16:17
In reference to ShyTorques link http://www.raf.mod.uk/squadrons/h230.html.

It was nice to read on the information about the badge;the tiger is said to have been inspired by the labels on the bottles on the local Singaporean brew. Looking at the pics, it's too close to be just a rumour!

http://www.drinksdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Tiger_Beer_330NRB.jpghttp://www.raf.mod.uk/squadrons/h_images/230sqncrst.gifhttp://www.grandesmarques.biz/images/64/23768.gif

That reminds me I have half a crate in the garage about to go out of date!!! Drinks @ Sidley house 7pm!

Cheers,

SS

ShyTorque
5th May 2005, 21:25
SSid,

I'm certain it's true. In 1982 we hosted the Tiger Meet at Gutersloh and invited a bunch of veteran ex-members who were squadron pilots (on flying boats) when the badge was chosen; they confirmed its origin.

Not to mention the BA Concorde stewardesses who we also invited. Or the sunday boat trip / booze cruise "bombing raid" on the Mohnesee with thunderflashes in cabbages, lobbed liberally at boaters and windsurfers. It was OK though, as it WAS German pilots who did that ..... ;)

Long may the "Tiger Spirit" continue! :ok:

The Helpful Stacker
5th May 2005, 21:43

Who authorised this and why ?

Yet its ok to paint up 12 Hawks for a bunch of FJ tarts to fly around in?

Good on them. 230 Sqn, a throughly nice bunch of people (though not a nice as those grizzled old 72 Sqn Wessex folk, them were the days).

charliegolf
6th May 2005, 21:11
ShyTorque

When I arrived at 230 in 83, there were apocryphal stories about a crew getting into deep ****e for dropping black footballs on the dams. Never followed it up.

Any truth in the story?

CG

SilsoeSid
6th May 2005, 22:07
charliegolf,

Are you sure they weren't filming this (http://www.wayouteast.co.uk/acting/dambusters.html#)

http://www.wayouteast.co.uk/acting/images/db_save1.jpg

also found here (http://www.canneslions.com/showcase/index.cfm?showcasefileid=503&name=john_hegarty&title=Dambusters)

No 17 in the Ch 4 '100 Greatest TV Ads'.

http://www.canneslions.com/showcase/showcases/john_hegarty/Carling_Dambusters119x85.jpg

:ok:
SS

pint'alfempty
10th May 2005, 14:08
Flap62 & Buoy15

Definitely get a life. It's sad to see that there are still small-minded kill-joys like yourselves still lurking within the service.

I'll certainly be looking out for the Tiger when I next land at Aldergrove (737).
Well done 230 for such a great job. Nice to see that most of you have still retained a degree of flair, character and 'let's do it anyway' attitude. Sounds like good leadership from the top.

ShyTorque
10th May 2005, 14:35
>When I arrived at 230 in 83, there were apocryphal stories about a crew getting into deep ****e for dropping black footballs on the dams. Never followed it up.

Any truth in the story?<

Yes, in the late 1970s but it was an 18 Sqn Wessex crew wot did it.

Hueymeister
10th May 2005, 14:58
Where can I down load the Carling Ad? Must give the Sqn a brief tomorrow, and that would set the mood nicely!!!

Nopax,thanx
11th May 2005, 12:50
If you think they're stretching a point; IIRC, LeKG43 of the West German Air Force used to get to go to Tiger Meets; and their badge was a dog!!

beardy
11th May 2005, 16:59
It was nice, to see said stripey machine out in Corfu the other day.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
11th May 2005, 18:03
Good to see some spirit. I bet someone still had a sad-on when SEngO asked for an SD.

A few memories of 230:

A ripsh*t fg off (now OC 28) steaming across the dispersal at warp 9 in a yellow and black VW Beetle to meet any visiting 'Tiger' pilot.

A rather unusual (inverted) departure by a CF18 after a tiger meet.

A joint SH/Harrier beercall where 230 chose to arrive in style and with a bang, 'flying-in' despite the short journey across to 4(AC) Sqn.

Some rather sheepish viff viff nozzly types whenever 230 were entertaining.

The battle to end all battles after 18 Sqn 'pinged' 230's runabout.

HOODED
11th May 2005, 18:39
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No it's because of overstrech! The Blades and MRH have been Robbed/canibalised! Dont worry though they'll rob em back from the SAR cab in time for the tiger meet.:E

ShyTorque
12th May 2005, 00:03
"A joint SH/Harrier beercall where 230 chose to arrive in style and with a bang, 'flying-in' despite the short journey across to 4(AC) Sqn."

If that's when we roped down, I was the last one out and having gone hand over hand down the full 60ft of rope and hanging onto the leather bit at the end, still found myself about 15ft agl. I let go when the duty pilot began to move the aircraft forward!

Also when we had the "Green Marrows" bicycle formation display team (complete with cardboard "rotor discs" atop flying helmets and JS playing the upright piano in the back of the Landrover, trailing orange smoke from canisters tied to the rear bumpers(actually completely IMC in orange smoke, due to the crewman i/c smoke canisters not realising that the smoke came out of the BOTTOM of the can and sending it forwards).

In those days we worked hard but were allowed to PLAY hard too. Apparently not so these days...... :rolleyes:

Kestrel_909
26th May 2005, 09:58
Digging up this old thread,

Here's a picture of the one from 230sq

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/846441/M/

ORAC
3rd Aug 2005, 15:26
As promised a while back.

Photos (http://groups.msn.com/LatinFlyersAirportBar/orac.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1614)

SmilingKnifed
3rd Aug 2005, 18:22
Nice one ORAC.:ok:

How nice it would be if we were to once again have more than one tiger sqn.:{

oldbeefer
3rd Aug 2005, 19:33
I still have vague recollections of a Tigermeet at Cambrai in 1986 (?) - great fun apart from the shambolic French organisation. Remember finding ourselves in a small french town at 2 in the morning (having refused to sleep in three tier bunks in something resembling a cowshed), Nice man in hotel gave us a bed each - and the mini bar took away the pain. Kita Chari Jauh (which is as close as I can get to the motto after 20 years away from the Sqn!) - but I seem to remember it means 'we search afar'. And yes, the badge was based on the Tiger beer motif

ladyfly
4th Aug 2005, 10:15
For those of you who haven't seen 230 crew room, it has more stripes than that helo, they certainly like their tiger theme. I wonder what else they paint stripes on?

AsleepByMidhurst
4th Aug 2005, 20:05
My guess is that the paint job was nothing to do with tigers - I reckon that the cab was grounded and the Health & Safety Officer declared it a 'trip hazard' !

Sven Sixtoo
4th Aug 2005, 20:41
There was once a tiger Sea King (78 Sqn FI) which caused a near heart attack in the hierarchy of HQFI. Amazing what you can do with large amounts of coloured paper and a camera.