PDA

View Full Version : Urgent acreer advice FAA or JAA

rziola
27th Apr 2005, 07:10
Good morning/afternoon Chaps

I am currently in somewhat of a crisis situation in terms of planning my Career in the Aviation industry.
I would like to start a 1st Officer Program, Doing my PPL CPL INST ME CFI CFII with a total of 250 hours of which 100 ME. And a AAS in Science Aviation from UVSC.

The real crunch point as far as I can see is this. Due to cost of training, I have decided to do the training in the states, therefore obtaining FAA rating, however, since I am a European citizen (British) I would need to convert my entire license to JAA, not a financial option until at least a year later.

1. What are potential employment options around the world with an FAA rating?
2. Employment chances are slim with only 250 hours, I am therefore considering doing a type rating and paying for 500 hours left seat 737 experiences with Eagle jet.
3. Any other advice would be much appreciated.

i really appreciate any advice you may have to offer, all the books and career guidlines are nothing in comparison to real life advice
Many thanks
Richard

Birky
30th Apr 2005, 09:58
Er, I'm roughly at the same stage as you in terms of decision making...

But have you considered doing the JAA ATPL route in the USA, say at somewhere like European Flight Training (www.flyeft.com) in Florida? They claim you can get a JAA (not FAA) ATPL in 67 weeks followed by paid instructor time up to 1500 hours afterwards, over say another 18 months. It means a long time away from home of course.

You take advantage of better weather and cheaper fuel yet still have a JAA licence. To do the paid instruction bit you have top convert to an FAA CPL/IR and get the FAA CFI/CFII. Nonetheless, by my reckoning (which still needs checking thoroughly I might add) you can do the whole bloody shebang, accommodation, living and airfare expenses included, for about £45-50k.

(that's assuming you stay as an instructor until around 1000 hours TT rather than 1500 as 500 of your hours should be multi-crew so there seems little point going beyond 1000 as a single-crew pilot?)

Just a suggestion...

Good luck,

Birky

www.themightymarcus.com

englishal
30th Apr 2005, 18:00
They claim you can get a JAA (not FAA) ATPL in 67 weeks
Blimey, that seems a long time. You should be able to do zero to JAA fATPL including FAA CPL/MEIR, and including the JAA conversion course in 18 weeks........all for about £25,000 if you are clever.

...And you don't get stung for "JAA rates" while training in the USA.

...And you convert the CPL and IR at the same time, so only one trip to England (as the IR HAS to be done in the UK, most FLA schools give you 30 hours FAA training, then send you to the UK for the remaining 15....and the test....and any extra you need).

Farrell
30th Apr 2005, 18:43
Englishal

Can you break that 18 weeks down for us? I'm not knocking the idea. Just tell us how you came up with that, where you can do it for 25k and are you talking FAA or JAA?

Cheers

englishal
1st May 2005, 10:18
14 weeks in the USA to go from zero to FAA CPL/MEIR
4 weeks conversion course in the UK to convert the FAA CPL/IR to JAA fATPL.

Price quoted is £23,650 including accommodation in the USA and mandatory ATPL ground exam course through BGS.

The company advertises in the back of a well known Flyer magazine (I'm not allowed to advertise......;) )

Birky
1st May 2005, 17:49
EnglishAl,

You're quite right of course...when I said JAA (not FAA) ATPL what I really should have said was,

JAA PPL/Night/MEP/ATPL exams/CPL/IR and FI followed by FAA IR/CPL/CFI/CFII.

I should also have added that you're getting BOTH JAA and FAA qualifications...

Bit more of a gob full though eh..?

Birky
;)

carbonfibre
2nd May 2005, 14:10
Englishal

I know of many people who go through the ground school and if not mistaken even BGS quote 6 months not 18 weeks? How do potential students fit all this in with there FAA / JAA flight training?

There are FAA writtens and I dont think you get exceptions for any JAA now?

Seems a bit of a of a tough task, all that flying, written tests and flight tests in such a short time, sounds like a job for super pilot

CF:cool:

englishal
2nd May 2005, 14:49
Yea good point,

Obviously this route would be the preferred route if you already held the ATPL ground exams, then you could concentrate on the flying. Otherwise extra time would have to be allowed to complete the ATPL study via distance learning, with the mandatory GS course element.

Cheers

Farrell
2nd May 2005, 18:50
thanks englishal :ok: