PDA

View Full Version : OzJet pilot recruitment

VH-WASA
27th Apr 2005, 04:54
For all you people out there with eyes and ears to the ground. OzJet advertised on Friday 15th April for pilots but to date have not had any word from them. They haven't even got the courtesy to reply, which makes one wonder what type of operation it is. So just wondering if anybody knows what the story is and whether you have heard anything from them.

Kaptin M
27th Apr 2005, 05:09
Chances are it`s for 1 of 2 reasons.
1) They`re the same as EVERY other airline in the world (which includes Oz), which means they have probably a couple of thousand applications to sort through.
A month or two (and sometimes 3) is par.
OR
2) They don`t want YOU! :{

(Good Luck WASA :ok: )

Buster Hyman
27th Apr 2005, 05:39
It's standard practice in all industries not to reply to applications. You'll only get one if you get an interview.

Howard Hughes
27th Apr 2005, 07:18
It's standard practice in all industries not to reply to applications.

Not from my experience, every other industry I have worked in with the exception of aviation, has sent me a reply even if I did'nt get an interview.

I have worked in a number of industries too!!

I think it's rude not to reply, having said that I would'nt expect a reply from Ozjet for quite sometime given the large number of applications.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

BankAngle50
27th Apr 2005, 07:44
Great! Another company driving down conditions for the rest of us.:yuk:

Howard Hughes
27th Apr 2005, 07:59
Great! Another company driving down conditions for the rest of us.

What about the "rest of us" who may actually improve our condition's? I've never seen the more advantaged worry about bringing the less fortunate's condition's upward, in order to protect their own condition's.

Think about it...

Cheers, HH.

amos2
27th Apr 2005, 10:53
Don't get too concerned. New start up, allow 3 months then give them a ring!

F111
27th Apr 2005, 11:42
VH-WASA,

Today is the 27th, so it has been a total of 12 days since they advertised for pilots. Take away the two weekends, plus the ANZAC public holiday, OzJet have had a total of 7 working days to look at a couple thousands CV's plus continue to work on their AOC application. I would say they are a tad busy at the moment. At a guess it would be 4-6 weeks before anyone would be contacted regarding an interview.
I think it's a bit harsh to say "They haven't even got the courtesy to reply, which makes one wonder what type of operation it is".

All the best.

Point0Five
27th Apr 2005, 12:27
For all you people out there with eyes and ears to the ground. OzJet advertised on Friday 15th April for pilots but to date have not had any word from them. They haven't even got the courtesy to reply, which makes one wonder what type of operation it is. So just wondering if anybody knows what the story is and whether you have heard anything from them.

Are you for real? As F111 quite correctly pointed out, these people aren't sitting there at your beck and call.

If you're lucky enough to get a job with them, who is doing who a favour?

Fair go mate, I suspect that their "operation" is being run for the passengers and not you. :cool:

Casper
27th Apr 2005, 20:30
Just can't imagine anyone busting a gut to fly a geriatric B737-200 minus PDCS, minus FMC, minus auto-throttle and minus R Nav for peanuts. Is B & D a requirement for the job?

VH-Cheer Up
27th Apr 2005, 21:31
Just can't imagine anyone busting a gut to fly a geriatric B737-200 minus PDCS, minus FMC, minus auto-throttle and minus R Nav for peanuts. Is B & D a requirement for the job?
PDCS?
R Nav?
B & D?

maxgrad
27th Apr 2005, 22:30
You never know, some people might enjoy the challenge of a steam driven flightdeck.
Some people may yet to be blessed and use the latest and not so latest technology.
They might want to earn more money than they currently are on.

Why don't we wait for the bl**dy operation to start before shooting it down

Kaptin M
27th Apr 2005, 23:35
Ansett had the B737-200 "Advanced", which had the PDCS, RNAV (with the "Space Invader" - a movable + that allowed you to find a hole in crappy wx, and track direct to that # waypoint...something that was, imo, a great innovation that was discontinued) superimposed over THE (one and only) colour wx radar, and A/T.

Who knows, perhaps these aircraft of OzJet's may have similar systems.

Abeles started Ansett New Zealand with clapped out 737-100 series - reported to have cost him only $1 mil. each, and grew it from there.
Tarted up, the punters who paid didn't know the difference - they looked great outside and in, and the extra service that Ansett N.Z. provided over Air New Zealand's "candy service" brought customers to Ansett in droves.

Good Luck OzJet - I believe there's a niche market that has been ignored by the incumbents for too long.

Laikim Liklik Susu
28th Apr 2005, 01:36
I wish them well! That colour scheme though - let's hope it's temporary to refelct Stoddart's lineage only!

Nothing wrong with steam either! I think it would be a humbling experience for some of the spoilt young guys to learn how to actually scan a bunch of instruments, instead of the silver platter cathode tubes!

I certainly do hope they opt NOT to use the damned BAe 146 though!

John Citizen
28th Apr 2005, 03:44
You say Just can't imagine anyone busting a gut to fly a geriatric B737-200 minus PDCS, minus FMC, minus auto-throttle and minus R Nav for peanuts.

I say get real.

There are many GA/regional airline pilots doing that right now, and also working for peanuts.

Many regional airline pilots (metro, B1900, Bandierante, Brasilia, Jetstream,...) today fly geriatric equipment without FMC, auto-throttle, RNAV...etc. Many don't even know what an auto-pilot is.

I am sure many would jump at the opportunity to fly a geriatric B737 compared to a geriatric metro.

Ozjet might even pay them a few more extra peanuts than they are now earning.

Normasars
28th Apr 2005, 04:27
Casper, gee that really sounds like a spoilt cadet mentality there. But then again you have probably just come out of your dad's bag and know NOTHING about real aircraft you primadonna!!!

VH-WASA
28th Apr 2005, 05:23
Thanks guy's for your input. I had a really rotten day that day and unfortunately took it out on OzJet but can now see how busy they must be sorting things out. Love to have a crack at that steam driven machine, must be good for your scans etc. instead of relying on computers all the time.
I've had the same problem with Asian Express Airlines who are looking for 727 crews to be based in Auckland or Melbourne. They advertised on the 4th March, but as you say they probably don't want you if it has been this long.

Captain Sand Dune
28th Apr 2005, 06:07
Haven't got the add in front of me, but I believe it stated that the airline was aiming at the business class end of the market on the East coast. Does this means an all-business class config?

Are OzJet planning to offer the whole package, ie business class lounges etc like their competition?

In any case I wish them all the best.

As for flying an aircraft without automation up the yin-yang - makes it more interesting, doesn't it?!:}

(Showing my age again.......:ugh: )

Howard Hughes
28th Apr 2005, 07:05
Many regional airline pilots (metro, B1900, Bandierante, Brasilia, Jetstream,...) today fly geriatric equipment without FMC, auto-throttle, RNAV...etc. Many don't even know what an auto-pilot is.

FMC?
Auto what?
RNAV?

I do remember reading about these things once, waaaaaay back when I did the ATPL!!

Who has this stuff? Surely only the US military!!;)

Cheers, HH.

maxgrad
28th Apr 2005, 07:50
isn't that auto throttle when you tell your FO to adjust power
and FMC is aimed at the FO too. For My Captain.

Laikim Liklik Susu
28th Apr 2005, 08:07
Yep, the ultimate in CRM - use your resources, aka YOT (You Over There), aka the FO :p (Then again, FO sometimes stands for F-ing Ordinary as well!)

Captain Sand Dune
28th Apr 2005, 09:50
Well now I'm waiting for the "duck and the FO joke":} :}

Cpt Chaos
29th Apr 2005, 00:48
Hi Boys,

I got a letter from them yesterday applogising for delay and saying inundated with applications. Those selected for the 'panel interview in june' will be advised in a couple of weeks. For your info I am current on one of their types so that may make a difference

The Enforcer
29th Apr 2005, 02:44
Great to hear Chaos but unfortunately the airline itself appears to take after your title.

I hope it does get in the air but from what I hear the team with the dream aren't exactly up to the task.

I'd be more worried about the AOC, than which aircraft they will fly at this stage.

ROCKSTEADY
29th Apr 2005, 03:27
Please elaborate Mr Enforcer? Why not share with us all what you 'heard'!

With a name like 'The Enforcer', you wouldnt happen to work for CASA by any chance would you?

After reading a couple of articles in the latest Aircraft and Aerospace magazine, my major concern is for CASA and their bag of tricks and its repercussions towards the state of aviation in Australia.

It is pathetic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, there are many successful operators of 737-2 and 146 to this day, if aircraft are kept shmick, and I bet OzJets are, goodluck to OzJet. Good to see some new players amongst our shores no matter what their strategy.

OZ Junglejet
1st May 2005, 02:22
Yes, care to explain.

I believe a number of experienced jet drivers have applied to OzJet, including some currently flying OS. I think they would want to know more as to why you don't think they will get an AOC.

DeltaSix
2nd May 2005, 00:48
PDCS ? FMC ?, Auto throttle ? R Nav ?.............. oh you are talking about Microsoft flight simulator....... :}

I dont even have a wx radar that works......... I fly a contraption that was born in 1979.

D6

bushy
2nd May 2005, 09:40
so do most of our military pilots.

ROCKSTEADY
2nd May 2005, 14:12
Hey guys, got an interview for early June. Anyone else???

EngineOut
2nd May 2005, 20:39
Rocksteady, if you don't mind me asking, how many/type of hours have you got?

ROCKSTEADY
3rd May 2005, 13:43
Just Kidding,

It was fun posting but!! :}

yyeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Giddy up boy!

DeltaSix
4th May 2005, 01:40
bwahahahahahaha.........rocksteady - you kill me.

D6

Chris Higgins
8th May 2005, 23:27
I have several concerns about this model. I am surprised by the reaction my short posting made several weeks back.

I am in LAX waiting to go through Chicago in my "regional" jet (?), so I'll be brief and promise to be more expansive at another time.

1. The 732 is an old frame, with old engines and has seen it's day. Southwest has taken all of their's off line, even on the "Texas two-step" where they kept a large assortment of spares and line mechanics to keep them running.

2. Fuel. Fuel cost and fuel burn.

3. Frequent Flyer program. With whom? Where to? Do you think that QF, JQ and DJ don't have those markets cornered? Who's going to do your international feed? Business travellers, in a global economy need international connections, seamless travel?

4. Old product with premium pricing? An oxymoron.

5. Predatory pricing.

6. Paying higher prices to be treated better? I can't see the Aussie battler mentality buying in on that.

7. Scales of economy: Fuel prices, staffing, covering sick time, training events are all going to be more expensive.

8. Management: From where? Are they going to leave an existing carrier with a proven track record to go work at a start-up?

9. History: Ansett, Compass and even Impulse.

10. Perception: Old aircraft don't wear out...try telling that to the Aloha crew that had that 73' turn into a convertible.

Chocks Away
9th May 2005, 03:23
Some good points Chris.

Many would have been/are being tackled right now and answers released in due course no doubt... as things wouldn't get to this point of start up, without having those questions answered.

Worth another look and research into Paul Stoddards' aviation background (maintenance/engineering assets) possibly, Chris?

Good luck to them, Australia needs an alternative.
:D

Chris Higgins
9th May 2005, 16:30
Chock's Away,

I know that Mr Stoddard has produced excellent results with individual prowess, but somehow, I think the odds are not stacked favourably in any new start-up using this as a model.

In our work at Netjets, we are often called upon to assist in sales demonstrations with high profile clients. Confidentiality clauses do not allow me to disclose individual particulars, but there is an enormous amount of commonality.

1. Age of aircraft.

Some insurance policies now are dictating the very age of airframes for their VIP company personnel.

2. Average pilot experience.

Our most recent intake of new hires had an average experience of 8,000 hours. Our background checks extended back to age 18, and included national driving, FBI, searches of local courts and credit checks.

3. Training Cycles.

By going to a third party (Flight Safety) and maintaining independent audits outside of those offered by the FAA, the operation has grown to allow over 500 aircraft, or more than one third of the world's business jet to be listed on its certificate.

For VIP travel, the clientele are very smart and extremely discerning.

The point I'm making is this:

1. You can be a brilliant entrepreneur with high personal standards, but the equation has to stand up to those that don't know you.

2. You have to offer something that has not been tried before, or better than it has ever been done before.

3. The product has to look, smell and feel new.

4. You have to separate yourself from the masses, so as to be considered as offering something of real worth.

Jetstar actually did this by alowing a new brand name, in a new airframe between some differing city pairs with some controversial, but again, new ways of doing business. Jetstar will be successful because it has established a brand identity that is separate from others.

Ozjet is well advised to establish it's own identity and do so with an established business class clientele, but the description of it's equipment does not lend itself well to this model.

I have a 737-200 type rating on my Australian ATPL, but I wouldn't advise them to use this aircraft type for this kind of operation. Freight perhaps, but there are noise issues there too.

I think that a fresh airframe from Brazil with low operating costs would be ten times better, particuarly in times of $50 plus a barrel of crude.

Th next big issue is the "go it alone" mentality of many of these start-ups. Sure they might find a niche, but restricted market. Where's the opportunity for growth and the ability to retain customers who want a vast array of networking services, such as airport lounges, frequent flier programs, hotel points, baggage transfer services, international check-ins etc?

Chocks Away
10th May 2005, 01:01
Yeh, I totally agree, with your last point especially.
The smart money IS on a feeder network (either Regional or International) for Ozjet.

It was Stoddards' huge Aviation Engineering/Spare parts company I was eluding to...able to back such airframes.

In Australia a backlash/hatred of the QF product (lack thereof and aka JQ substituted flights) has been sensed by the business end, as evidenced on other threads. There's no doubt about the abundance of low airfares though, which keeps the lower demographic happy.

Many forget, it is a service industry so the publics wants/needs should be served, not dictating what they GET, as Dixon does.
The consumer needs a choice and in Aust. they currently don't have it.

Only problem being population size here, compaired with your market Chris.

Time will tell but I wish them the best of success.

Chris Higgins
10th May 2005, 01:13
Chocks Away,

Indeed sparse population provides a problem. I would like to think it is "our" problem. My kids all have Australian Passports and I still help with a family farm in Wauchope, near Port Macquarie.

Chris Higgins
13th May 2005, 17:31
ON another thread, there has been discussion about a former Impulse founder and I haven't met him, so I stayed off the thread.

The one thing to point out about this is that there is an opportunity to feed QF domestic services from Lord Howe, to Port Macquarie, Coffs and Newcastle, and perhaps even Tamworth.

Again, I say, you have to work in conjunction with the established network, have a specialty and stick to a low cost of operation. In addition, if you are not leasing, you have to have aircraft worth something to offer as collateral for expansion when they are being paid down.

RYAN TCAD
14th May 2005, 15:38
Isn't it amazing to think that out of 2000 or so applications, if they only need 100 pilots at the very most, you only have a 5% chance to get in at the very most!

Good luck to those that apply!

Bo!

Chris Higgins
14th May 2005, 21:46
Yeah, so much for the looming "pilot shortage".

Legal_Counsel
27th May 2005, 06:46
Just noticed that Gold Airways web site has taken a turn. The employment link is interesting. They are offering A320 endorsements.

Cool.