PDA

View Full Version : Password woes on Windows

BOAC
26th Apr 2005, 17:58
I'm having all sorts of problems with DUN passwords getting 'garbled' after a successful connection (Dual-boot W2000 PRO and XP). My ISP (adsl4less) is being quite excellent in helping solve it but so far we have not cracked it! Temp files/cookies etc and DUNs have come and gone but to no avail.

Can anyone tell me where 2000 and XP store p/words please? I cannot find any .pwl files as in 'old' Windows systems.

Phoenix09
26th Apr 2005, 18:58
I am not sure where Windows stores the actual password files but this site (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/index.html#password_utils) has some useful free utilities for recovering lost or forgotten passwords from your system.

BOAC
26th Apr 2005, 19:18
Phoenix - thank you - that is one USEFUL site! My problem is not forgetting a password but getting Windows to 'remember' it correctly!

Mac the Knife
26th Apr 2005, 19:25
Thanks Phoenix99, for your pointer to NirSoft - some really nifty little utilities there:ok:

Mac (inverterate collector of code odds and ends)

Background Noise
26th Apr 2005, 21:48
Are you having problems connecting or does your password just appear to be wrong. When I connect my password appears incorrect - I have twice as many blobs/asterisks as there are characters in my password - but it connects fine.

BOAC
26th Apr 2005, 22:16
BN - funny you should say that!! but while my No1 son was on the phone this evening (he runs a company IT system), and I was explaining that the password (extra asterisks, as you say - I think it does that to stop anyone counting the digits in a password?) did NOT connect, giving an 'error' message - it did - and it does!! - and I am completely confused as to what went wrong (that's Windows for you!!)- but WTH, it is now ok - until the next time. :{

Thanks to all for the help.

maxy101
27th Apr 2005, 16:35
All true BOAC, it's a security method of protecting passwords

BOAC
27th Apr 2005, 16:56
Ta Maxy - as I said, I was aware of that - it was why the connection WAS failing and then wasn't, with the same settings, that was throwing me. Anyway, I'll log it as another 'Gates Mystery'.