PDA

View Full Version : Wireless (again)

26th Apr 2005, 12:45
I have a wirless modem/router, which I use to connect to the internet via AOL.
Whenever I connect, I am asked for my user name and password.

But, when I click on the Internet Explorer icon on my laptop, I can connect straight to the internet, without going through AOL, and without giving any user name or password.

Could someone explain how this is able to happen.

Thanks

spekesoftly
26th Apr 2005, 13:48
I'm not an AOL user, but I expect that Internet Explorer has been configured with your user name and password, so that you do not need to enter them each time you connect. Click on 'Tools', 'Internet Options', 'Connections' and 'Settings', and you can check.

The other thought that occurs to me is that your laptop may be connecting to another wireless access point in the vicinity.

jbrereton
26th Apr 2005, 20:05
Yes I am also with AOL and the same goes for me. When you log on through AOL you can use their protection facilities for Parental Control, Spam. It also shows your other virus protection. If you bypass their log in page, as long as you have virus protection, it makes no difference.

Julian
27th Apr 2005, 11:27
I noticed this as well on AOL, I am using the Netgear wireless router.

I put it down to the fact that in the config page for the router you have to supply a valid AOL login and password, so in effect you are already logged into AOL even if you are using Explorer.

5milesbaby
27th Apr 2005, 22:32
Could someone explain then why I can log on to the net wirelessly via a Belkin router but the laptop has no ISP software on it except for Internet Explorer? The main computer (non-wireless) is normally off when the laptop is used and I use BT Internet Broadband for connection, but no passwords or BT connections are needed, just straight onto the net and still the Broadband speed!!!

spekesoftly
28th Apr 2005, 00:16
The Belkin wireless router maintains the internet connection, and is programmed with details of your ISP, password etc.