PDA

View Full Version : B&B during brush-up with Bristol

menikos
25th Apr 2005, 09:57
Hi guys,

could it be possible to have the address of the cheapest B&B around Cheddar during the brush-up and also in Gatwick or where you get your exams.

thanks for your help guys.

Fly safe.

PilotOnline
25th Apr 2005, 10:37
Hi,

Have you seen the accommodation list on the BGS website? The cheapest and probably the best geared toward students are on there, along with distances from the school. I stand to be corrected but the cheapest I've heard of are in the £15/£16 per night band. I stayed at Maxmills Farm recently for the brush up course, just perfect for studying.

Also, check out the BGS forum on their website as there are plenty of comments from students on accommodation experiences etc.

G SXTY
25th Apr 2005, 11:53
I’d suggest that the priority shouldn’t be on finding the cheapest place – it should be whichever place gives you the best studying environment.

Time will be at a premium, particularly if you’re mod 1, so ideally you want somewhere close by (walkable or a short drive away – even a half-hour drive eats into your study time). If they offer an evening meal you will save time not having to cook for yourself or go out for food. These things might sound minor, but they really do make a difference.

I’ve heard one or two horror stories, such as people trying to live off cheese sandwiches and pot noodles for two weeks, or students being forced to give up their rooms and sleep on the couch because relatives are visiting – cheapest isn’t always the best.

PM me if you like & I can recommend a great B&B in the village.

maxwell4065
25th Apr 2005, 13:56
I concur with PilotOnline.

check out www.maxmillsfarm.co.uk

Max

nosewheelfirst
25th Apr 2005, 14:12
Mary Sproats is £20 a night and includes an evening meal, with wine and a continental breakfast. She is in Thule which is 15mins from the school. The rooms are spacious with good study facilities. Highly recomended.

Lee Frost
25th Apr 2005, 15:04
I stayed at 'Anela' B&B for both brush-ups. Very comfortable rooms with TV, en-suite + good shower, tea and coffee etc.

Best breakfast I've ever had from a B&B, and well priced, from £17.50 per night.

Tina and Howard are lovely people and will make you very comfortable / allow you to concentrate on getting the homework done. I have heard of a few other places (no names) with a somewhat 'Gulag' atmosphere.

There were a few others there for my last stay, and we all felt the same, so maybe they will add their recommendation as well....

Lastly, Anela is 10-15 minutes walk from the BGS building, and also very close to the centre of town.

Tina is contactable on (01934) 743 806

Best of luck & I hope you enjoy the brushup.

:)

YYZ
25th Apr 2005, 16:40
I second Mary Sproats place, good food, clean & quiet. And as a plus it has a swimming pool and a barn conversion with a pool table so if you get time you can relax with the others.
She is on the BGS accomodation list.

YYZ

Megaton
25th Apr 2005, 16:51
Mary's was absolutely fabulous. Definitely worth the drive.

menikos
26th Apr 2005, 08:58
Many thanks guys,

in fact I've forgotten to mention that we'll be two so I hope we'll find a two beds room.

If you have more feedback feel free.

thanks.

Lee Frost
26th Apr 2005, 12:38
'Anela' (Tina's place) has a choice of double bed or twins.

I have heard consistently good things about Mary Sproat's place as well.

PaddyMcGinty
26th Apr 2005, 12:56
Defo Anela B n B, Great place, and the people are really nice, will even let you cook your own stuff and will do washing for you. its about 10 to 12 mins walk to the school which wakes you up in the morning. Cant recomment Tina and Howard enough.

WX Man
27th Apr 2005, 11:23
Cheddar, being a climbing/caving area has got a few youth hostel style things around. Expect to pay about £3-4/nt. Caving places will be raucous at weekends, and dead during the week (unless its outside of term time and you are there at the same time as a university group or the scouts or something).

Not the best types of places for studying in, but cheap... yes. Nearly all of them will have kitchens too (so no Pot Noodle feasts).

High Wing Drifter
27th Apr 2005, 11:44
PilotOnline,

I have to agree, Maxmills is ideal - very relaxing and peaceful. I had the Cottage for my Jan brushup with a nice real fire place and the flat next to the duck pond for my July brush up. When it all gets too much, a nice stroll in the country to clear the head is very welcome before the next bout of homework.

IMHO, the extra is worth it :ok: