PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada vs Cathay as a career

Captain Over
22nd Apr 2005, 22:02
I hope to be joining CX or AC as an "Off The Street" (non-regional) with ~ 6,000 hours, ~ 3,000 jet (over 2,000 medium jet > 70 Tons) plus management time, etc.

Base preference: Vancouver (or Hong Kong if CX) #1, Toronto #2.

Pension = ? Which is the better of the two?

Pay = ? (Overall, I mean. The first years are known but will one pay better than the other in terms of pocket cash? Taxes a big factor, of course.)

Time to command = ? All I can find out is at CX it is about 4 to 5 years on the freighter side to command.

All things considered, gaze into your collective crystal balls and help my look down both streets from the cross-roads here. And just the facts as best guessed, please. The bashing and naysayers have already spoken. I would appreciate best speculations on the above. Thanks very much.

Saltaire
23rd Apr 2005, 02:29
It's a simple answer............whomever hires you first. You could make a case for both, depending on if your married, kids, lifestyle, etc..........you will make more money at CX.

Sawbones
28th Apr 2005, 00:27
I would probably question your wisdom if you give any serious consideration to anything you read on an anonymous forum ... however:

At AC there will be lots of retirements. Depending on your age, which you don't state, that will be a factor. If you're very young, you'll benefit, if you're pushing 40 ... don't expect much.

Do you want to live in Canada or HKG? That should solve it for you. If you're intent on getting a YVR base with AC, expect to get your AC career on the slow track (ie: cruise pilot/long time FO/much longer to left seat).

Thirdly ... nothing, but nothing, is ever guaranteed! Today's situation is subject to change, and existing conditions are only valid for today. Who might have predicted the demise of Pan Am, Braniff, TWA, Eastern ... not to mention the fact that the mightly Air Canada was in bankruptcy protection.

Roll the dice, and take a chance. Enjoy every day you get paid to fly airplanes.