PDA

View Full Version : RAF Police, waste of space or not?

monkeybumhead
22nd Apr 2005, 18:30
Just been sat enjoying a cold beer with Mrs MBH when to my supprise a couple of the RAFs finest filth appeared. What were they doing? I asked myself, was it a matter of important station security? NO. They were walking along the quaters patch checking peoples tax discs. What with that and ticketing people trying to park for work, now that lean is in full chaos mode at lyneham, as there are more people with cars than there are parking spaces. I guess we can all sleep at night knowing our unit is safe from expired tax discs and dodgy parking. Suppose station security takes a back seat in these days of mad Abdullah O'Riely et al.
Any takers on this one?

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Apr 2005, 18:50
I feel sorry for them really.

The dream of doing Police work in interesting, far-off locations being crushed by the realisation that the trade you've just joined is being cut by 50%. On top of that, because OC Sec is a Rock (and by defult someone who hates Snowdrops) he's making you keep the station tidy (something else bored Rocks seem to like)by moving all those messy badly parked cars.

As for the tax disc thing, if the car is parked on a patch outside the fence there is nothing more they can really do than you or I.

ps, I loved it when a 'baton instructor' copper came into my clothing stores to ask for some 'black combats'.

Me - "Why do you think you need them?"
SWAT team member Max - "Because of Health and Safety".
Me- "How so?"
STMM - "Because if someone enters a lesson when I'm teaching they'll know who the instructor is."
Me - "You'll be the one out the front."

:rolleyes:

L1A2 discharged
22nd Apr 2005, 18:51
In the relatively near future we will look back with fondness at the RAF Police. *we* are moving towards a tri-service, nondenominational police force. Would you rather deal with a relatively sensible RAF Copper, whio has been taught RAF ethos etc, than a redcap who can only just manage to walk and talk in the same week.

As to tax discs etc, *most* criminal activity is carried out in vehicles untaxed or insured, its just one indicator.

and I am not a copper! ;)

spekesoftly
22nd Apr 2005, 19:00
DVLA now automatically issue a largish fine to owners of vehicles that have either not renewed their tax disc or declared SORN, within a few weeks of expiry.

So presumably the RAFMPs were simply trying to warn potential miscreants! :rolleyes: :}

BEagle
22nd Apr 2005, 19:04
Treat them right, they'll treat you right......

Mind how you go, Sir....

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Apr 2005, 19:05
Good point L1A2.

Monkeys seem to want to crack skulls when there is any trouble in a Naafi whereas your average Snowdrop will wait for the dust to settle and pick up the pieces.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Apr 2005, 19:29
DVLA actually towed a car away from outside an OMQ at Lyneham. It was properly notifed as SORN and they had no juristicion around OMQ. After being torn off a strip they returned the car and then promptly seized it again as it was now on a public road.

Further strip torn off them and threat of reporting to police as the car was 'stolen'. The prats had delivered it back to the wrong quarter (deliberately?) and left it on the public road!

Car eventually returned and they apologised.

I have just had a similar problem. Took car off road, sent in SORN and got refund of tax. $ months later, why is car not taxed?

Told them they said OK, SORN effective 1 Feb 05. Yesterday got letter to say not pressing charges for late notification. Why? Swansea told car off road, some other area sent money, and jockland then threatens fine! Joined up government scattered around Prescott land.

monkeybumhead
22nd Apr 2005, 19:45
It's all well and good them sitting back and waiting for the dust to settle, but try telling that to a poor unfortunate who got lamped in the bop a quite a few months back, decided to leave and was followed by some of our army lodgers. Feds saw the situation arising and did nothing till the poor lad had to defend himself from the professional thugs in green. Subsequently he got nicked but they couldn't make the charge stick (thank heavens for the right to self defence). If the truth be known they were probably scared of the thugs. But then I suppose every car park needs an attendant or two.

captainjet
22nd Apr 2005, 19:52
I am always amazed when I hear people castigating others who happen to have different jobs to themselves.

I remember attending an international air show at Fairford, not far from Lyneham, which had dozens of propeller driven aircraft based there, which were generally used to haul baggage and boxes around the skies.

Some of the drivers of these aircraft were visiting the show, and were pontificating about their misfortune not to have the wherewithall to be offered a job with BA. They had such high opinions of themselves that we 744 jetliner pilots, and one Concorde pilot, almost felt inferior. Gosh, these prop a/c drivers were good, at least according to themselves. So gullible too.

Ah well, everyone has a purpose in life, I suppose..............

Safety_Helmut
22nd Apr 2005, 20:14
Does anyone actually serving in the RAF actually refer to them as Snowdrops, because i have not heard it in my 20ish years to date, It's almost like a term of endearment ? :suspect:

Safety_Helmut

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Apr 2005, 20:20
Does anyone actually serving in the RAF actually refer to them as Snowdrops, because i have not heard it in my 20ish years to date, It's almost like a term of endearment ?

That'll be me then.

:O

Skylark4
22nd Apr 2005, 20:30
In my day, I came out in 1970, RAFP were universally known as and referred to as "Snowdrops", in the Ranks anyway.

Mike W

ZH875
22nd Apr 2005, 20:35
Been in for 28 years, always have and always will, call them snowdrops.

Always_broken_in_wilts
22nd Apr 2005, 20:58
How long Zulu..........sprog:rolleyes:

Apart from my formative years I have heard the them referred to as a whole host things, but never "snowdrops'.........but as most of us forward thinking folks have moved with the times that should come as no surprise to you:p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

ZH875
22nd Apr 2005, 21:02
ABIW - maybe its a groundcrew/bluntie thing

Safety_Helmut
22nd Apr 2005, 21:25
ZH

I think you're right, Snowdrop :yuk: is probably a growbag thing. Thanks ABIW, we had much more imaginative names for them than "snowdrops".

Crewroom banter and bravado I know, but I always have this vision of people showing their ID to the mutt (brain on a chain).

Safety_Helmut :E

Guern
22nd Apr 2005, 21:25
Out of the three snowdrops I know two didn't pass the tests to join Civvie police when they left!

Safety_Helmut
22nd Apr 2005, 21:29
Guern

Most wouldn't pass the tests at Key Stage 1

TAPS !

Safety_Helmut

Controversial Tim
22nd Apr 2005, 21:33
I hope none of the RAFP reading this attribute the replies to genuine Pilots. It's such a shame that these forum have been hijacked by the pondlife.

Go and get an education before you start to type.

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Apr 2005, 21:37
Military Aircrew
A forum for the professionals who fly the non-civilian hardware, and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here

Why would they assume the replies are from pilots?

Controversial Tim
22nd Apr 2005, 21:39
'Cos it's called PPrune, and used to be good before the rest of you joined. Doesn't take much to work it out.

Like I said, go get an education.

Zoom
22nd Apr 2005, 21:42
captainjet
Not sure what you're blathering about, but it takes only a couple of mouse clicks from here to see you lot moaning about how much more you reckon you ought to be getting paid. Endless chapters of it.

Safety_Helmut
22nd Apr 2005, 21:43
Fully agree with you Helpful Stacker, just keep those half dozen roles of Kimwipe back, remember, someone might need them, ha ha.

:( Contoversial Tim ? how apt !

Sense of humour failure is it, ex plod maybe.

What do you class as an education then ? Surely you're not one of that dying breed who think only the officer classes can be educated ? (apologies in advance to the rest who don't share CT's point of view)

Safety_Helmut

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Apr 2005, 21:43
Jesus, I hope you don't fly with those eyes,

......and the backroom boys and girls without whom nothing would leave the ground. Army, Navy and Airforces of the World, all equally welcome here

Anyway, I don't think anything particularly vicious has been said about the RAFP, no more than you'd hear in a rugby club or Naafi which when all is said and done is what a forum is to the internet world.

effortless
22nd Apr 2005, 21:47
Is there still such an animal as an Air Ministry Policeman? Absolute arissoles so I was told.

Safety_Helmut
22nd Apr 2005, 21:56
Steady effortless

with spelling like that, (arrisoles) Controversial Tim will be suggesting an eduaction for you.

SH

Controversial Tim
22nd Apr 2005, 22:01
Ignorant and offensive criticism of guys who normally only try and help us in uniform stay OUT of trouble.

Please. Refrain yourselves. Try and post only when you know you are making sense to the whole world - not the little bit you see when you occasionally open your eyes.

Compass Call
22nd Apr 2005, 22:04
In the 70s at Wyton we used to call the RAFP 'Snoops', which they didn't seem to object to. Then some wag started calling them 'Spoons'. They were totally confused, couldn't understand where 'Spoons' came from. Apparently OC security was confused as well.:E

CC

kippermate
22nd Apr 2005, 22:30
My sister married an RAF Policeman.

Can I join in?

;)

kipper

I once met the Provost Marshall of the RAF.

Had the honour to be the staish\'s obediant servant the next day.

:O

kipper

But the Kimberley tikka is very good!!!

Pontius Navigator
23rd Apr 2005, 06:30
Plods is another term of endearment.

One plod, can't remember his name said "Never make friends with a policeman."

He was deadly serious. Their duty always came first. If you transgressed in anyway then they would feel obliged to report you.

Mind you, it works the other way too. I found a plod who had falsified a security check sheet. Got him right between the eyes. Naturally I had to report him just in case it was a reverse check.

Worked a treat and we had a very good rapport afterwards with the section - the offending plod was given a right Royal but not charged. Had he been charged it would hav ebeen a branch change offence.

Argus
23rd Apr 2005, 06:48
"Elephant Trackers" was one of the more polite epithets for said gendarmes as I recall.

Then there was the throwaway line about what's blue, with a white top, and has an IQ of 144? A gross of RAF policemen!

But even Betty Windsor's finest light blue suited crustaceans were no match for US Navy Shore Patrols in Singapore and Honkers during the Vietnam War!

Megaton
23rd Apr 2005, 06:50
Before I left last year I was feckin' shot at by Plods at Cranditz with air rifles. Reported it to the feckin' plods who "investigated" it only they took so long the bloke had left. Oh, and all they could find to charge him with was transgressng SSOs!

Bravess
23rd Apr 2005, 07:34
:)

Just one point. When military pilots among you are in places of conflict, and you're tucked up in bed with yer biggles teddy bear in your 'hotel' or wherever, who looks after your aircraft?

It's nice to be nice, thought we were all on the same side?

NIWorker
23rd Apr 2005, 07:46
We are all on the same side.......Some just put themselves on different sized pedestals, and think they know other peoples jobs better than they do!

The Swinging Monkey
23rd Apr 2005, 07:51
I am forced to say that RAFP head the top of my list, and are a total waste of valuable oxygen.

Bravess - you are talking utter tosh - I remember well the nice little Plod who thought it would be a good idea to drop a log every night, whilst he was 'guarding' my flying mushroom. Only thing is, he thought it would be best dropped in the paper towel holder.

Yea, we all felt safe knowing that a nutter was looking after the jet.

And Tim, what station have you been at for the last few years??? help you stay out of trouble. You need assessment dear chap.
Rant over.

Kind regards to all (but NOT RAFP)
TSM

ivrytwr3
23rd Apr 2005, 07:59
From a "Plod" "Snowdrop" and er...."Filth" i think was one of the less endearing terms used for the RAF Police.

OK deep breath………………

I hope none of the RAFP reading this attribute the replies to genuine Pilots. It's such a shame that these forum have been hijacked by the pondlife.

Thank you for the support. However, regarding some of the other users comments, I appreciate and agree that there are quite a few undesirables within my trade. However, can you say that everyone in your chosen profession is perfect?

Secondly:

As for the tax disc thing, if the car is parked on a patch outside the fence there is nothing more they can really do than you or I.

Not true, the RAF Police have CLE forms which are basically a statement and which is used to record the persons and vehicles details. Once issued and then submitted to the DVLA, the vehicle owner will receive a bill for any unpaid road fund licence. This paperwork is used “outside the wire”.

Thirdly, the comments regarding the Air Rifle, why let the truth get in the way of a good yarn eh? With all due respect Sir, I know all about this case and you were not shot at. As I said earlier there are some undesirables within the trade and you had the misfortune to walk around a corner when said undesirable was taking pot shots at a tree. And I add this not in his defence, but the said Station was on stand down and as it is normally only Police/MPGS/Orderly staff who know what a Station looks like during a stand down, he wasn’t expecting someone to be there. Said undesirable is quite rightly no longer a member of the RAF.

Further, why did you feel the need to demand the man be charged by another RAF Policeman? You are an Officer of the RAF, the person concerned was an A/Cpl. You do know that you are allowed to charge person subordinate to you don't you?

In summary, my philosophy is that we are all military and we should help each other out as much as possible. With this in mind, I will always try to find a positive solution when dealing with people. Be it an officer too drunk to drive, yet still wants to; I’ll offer him/her a “blue light” taxi back to their home. But reading some of the past comments and the obvious contempt they have for the RAF Police, why should I bother?

PS Monkeybumhead, if the RAF weren’t so over subscribed with multi engine aircrew, then perhaps there would be more money for parking spaces.

FJJP
23rd Apr 2005, 08:13
I guess the replies could be broken down into those negative [had a bad experience] and the positive/indifferent [helped/had little contact].

I've had good and bad contact throughout my service. They have a job to do, and, like any branch, if you meet a moron it is likely to sour your view of the whole lot.

On balance, my experience has been that the good by far outweighs the bad; they've got a job to do and by and large if they weren't there you'd soon notice the difference.

- Who would guard your ac on det in an 'at risk' location?

- Who would give you advice on security matters and help you set up your section security prior to the annual inspection?

- Who would the local plods liaise with to gain agreement to deal with the lad that got drunk and disorderly on Sat night in the local town [magistrates court or CO's bollocking]?

- Who would enforce the speed limit on camp [quarters, kids, springs to mind]?

And so on...

PPRuNe Pop
23rd Apr 2005, 08:25
Guys. Getting a tad personal - had one complaint but I'd rather get on with Saturday jobs, if you see what I mean. Did a small edit.

Btw. The PPRuNe rule laid down by Danny last July still stands. No swearing of the real kind or **** these.

Have a good day.

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 09:13
ivrytwr3
In response to your comment about the over subscription of multi engine aircrew being the cause of so few parking spaces I think you need to know what has happened at Lyneham. Some senior EngO decided to merge both fleets sets of maintainers, thus creating larger shifts. These shifts were moved to operate out of hangars with little enough parking at the best of times (J2 & J3)and with so many people who live out having to drive in these spaces don't hang around. It isn't a question of money but space!

FFJP
Just days before crimbo a small select few from eng wing here at lyneham were tasked with the job of guarding an ac in an at risk location which was broken.
Are the RAF Regiment not good enough to advise on security? They are, after all, the ones who train up the station guard force. The drunken yobs should take whats due, just like any normal person would. Just cos we wear a uniform it doesn't give us the right to get drunk and fight with the locals.
Yes they do enforce the speed limits on camp, behind the wire. Not once have I seen them enforce the speed limit on the quaters patch where I live, and there are some idiots who think they are the next Jenson Button.

I did have to chuckle, as did most of the rest of the station, when one night the guards were doing their bit on patrol and noticed the door on the cricket pavillion wasn't shut properly. Upon investigating they found a dog handler (not an aircraft electrician) curled up, snoozing, with the dog. With security like that I feel safer than a safe thing in a safe place.

redrex
23rd Apr 2005, 09:21
HI all,
Well I had to write in reply to this topic. So took the time to register and trust me I will read other topics and no doubt join in with the general banter. OK first off I am a RAF copper. If you have decided you don't want to read on then fine See ya.

So you have decided that you want to know more, good well read on.

First off if you have had a bad experience with a RAF copper then sorry but just think on, we are not all like that Pratt who wound you up so please don't generalise. Most, if not all you military drivers, will have spent time at Valley and I spent many years there too and now that there are a lot less RAF coppers there some of you guys may well be wishing they would post all the RAF chaps back because the MPGS may well be a lot less understanding of 'High Jinks' than we would be. What with you guys riding Harley's around the inside of the mess and abseiling from the balcony on a Sunday morning! much to my amusment I have to add. I was wrongly informed that all pilots where pillocks when I joined up. I say wrongly because I got to know many of you guys very well during my time at Valley and I discovered that you drivers and back seater's are actually not all bad. We had a great time. As I am sure that the guys who played in our station band and the guys who discovered the joys of drinking straight vodka all night with me and then going to work in the morning will tell you that we are not all bad. There are of course idiots in your line of work as well and I think I had the miss fortune to meet many of them as well. My point is don't tar us all with the same brush and you may find that the next time you come across a RAF copper who has been told by the boss to stop every grow bag and check their sideys (trust me that is the last thing we want to be doing) that he/she is just doing what they are told and would rather be doing something less pointless like jobbing scroats who have actually committed a crime. You will be seeing less of us anyway as we return to core policing duties rather than standing on the gate. O yes and one other thing, I did things the wrong way round and was a civvie copper before joining the RAF and trust me you guys get away with a lot that you would be in court for if the home office lot got hold of you, and you can't play the rank card with them either. Most of us will do what we can to get you out of bother (like getting you back to your room to sleep the drink off rather than jobbing you) so it works both ways people.

Griz
23rd Apr 2005, 10:03
Go go ivrytwr3! Good on yer!

This whole topic reminds me of the time I first had my collar felt by the RAF fuzz. Unfortunately I was playing rugby for Finningley at Newton in the late eighties. There was a whole rent-a-crowd of baby fuzzettes on the side line. I had chipped the ball over their last man and was doing my best Billy Whizz impression down the line to collect the ball when one of the bl00dy spectators grabbed my collar and pulled me down! Oh how I chuckled at their jolly jape! :hmm:

ivrytwr3
23rd Apr 2005, 10:39
monkeybumhead

Thanks for the explanation regarding the parking problems. However, I am dismayed that that was all you deemed worthy to comment on.

As you can see your original post has provoked quite a reaction from both your flying colleagues and the RAF Police. I was hoping for something reminiscent of an apology for your stereotypical view of my trade.

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 10:53
Admittedly not all RAF rozzers are bad, there are a couple here at Lyneham that are ok. It's the ones who go out of their way to give the rest of us a hard time and being complete jobsworths. For example, imagine going to your car just to pop to the post office on camp to renew your road tax on the 1st of the month only to find it was ticketed at about 1:30am for expired road tax.
On the subject of coppers on the gates, they don't do it at lyneham apart from the odd occasion first thing when it is busy (unless it is absolutly hammering down). And is it too hard to walk the 200 yards from the guardroom to the mess when you have to eat?

AlanM
23rd Apr 2005, 11:01
Whatever next - pick on the chefs..... the suppliers.... MT Drivers....?

They are what they are - and the ones I have encountered have generally been OK (no greater proportion of numpties than any other branch!!)

The only run in I ever had was when we played the plods in the Gutersloh footie tournament.... and I broke a chaps ankle in a wild challenge on the P&SS Sgt's son (Well he was through on goal :)) Mass brawl followed by apologies all round next day. NFAT!

DSAT Man
23rd Apr 2005, 11:22
WIWA RAF Stafford, then protected by the MOD Police, they nicked the Stn Dental Officer with a speed gun on camp doing more than 25 mph coming down the hill past the rugby club......

........on his cycle.

Nice chaps, they were.

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 11:30
I suppose with the MoD police you know you are working against the new nazi party.
Where speed checks are concerned I would like to see the RAF police doing it on the quaters patches before a child gets hit. I know the parents should keep an eye on their offspring, but when you get some idiot trying to see how fast they can go between speed humps it becomes a bit of an issue. How about it?

tablet_eraser
23rd Apr 2005, 12:51
Right....

Controversial Tim, you've added nothing of any worth to this argument. Before complaining that people in this forum are "uneducated" maybe you'd like to consider learning some decent debating skills?

Ivrytwr3, thanks for weighing in. I'm a scopie and am aware of incidents concerning the RAFP which are both good and bad.

At Buchan last year, the orderly officer had to deal with a massive "incident" on the station. Some civvies had been invited to the Sgts' Mess and started fighting. The fight - apparently of riotous proportions - spilled outside, and was spotted by the OO, some poor Plt Off who'd probably not done more than raise and lower the ensign as OO before this event. Nonetheless, he tried to separate them and couldn't. So he called the scuffers. When they arrived they did a fine job of keeping warring factions apart while waiting for CIVPOL to pitch up - in the process, one of the scuffers had his hand gashed open on the broken rear windshield of a RAFP vehicle, but refused to stand back from the fight because he thought someone was about to hit one of the female civvies involved. These scuffers managed to maintain the Stn's security, at the same time keeping people apart and administering 1st Aid. The same guys (and OO!) managed to save a civvie from hypothermia as he lay in the snow outside the Stn with a broken leg later the same year. Clearly, these are good RAF policemen who dealt with situations that they could just as well have left entirely to CIVPOL.

Fast forward to Boulmer earlier this year. Some prat left his bag outisde the R3 cottage with no label on it, and was hauled over the coals by the RAFP who, despite said officer's immediate contrition and admission of guilt, nonetheless "formally investigated" the incident. From what I understand, they read him his rights AFTER taking a statement which, I believe, makes his statement null and void anyway. These same coppers then sat back and did nothing after two serious incidents at the All Ranks' Club involving... err.... human waste. I would class these as jobsworthy, bad coppers who relish the opportunity to have an officer bollocked for a mistake, but avoid the challenge of dealing with people who have actually broken the law.

Don't let a few bad eggs spoil your overall impression of the RAFP. As with every single trade or branch, most of the RAFP are hard-working individuals who are genuinely concerned with the security of the Service.

A good RAFP friend of mine, Flt Lt Nick Finn, tragically passed away last weekend. He was the best ambassador the police had, I think it's fair to say that anyone who met him ended up with a better attitude towards his fellow "stazi filth" (his words, not mine). The RAF is an emptier place without him.

mensamember
23rd Apr 2005, 13:07
Well, well, what a load of hot air blowing around!!

Here at Mensa, we would like to remind you chaps that several years ago our President / Chairman/ Head Honcho, etc, was actually a serving RAF Police Corporal at the time. Did you miss his interview on the Jimmy Young Radio 2 show??? or not read the articles in the 'broadsheet press'???

Never had any growbag wearing airplane drivers in the post though. Mind you, our top person has to have a very high IQ to get elected, and growbags are not known for that sort of thing.

Whereas, Corporal Wilf Middleton, RAFP, did. :cool:

A few years ago the Chief of the Air Staff, Sir ******* *****, was travelling along in his limo to some station or other, accompanied by another senior officer. Sir *******, who knew a thing or two about military matters, said,'' You know,***** the only branches which have good leaders in today's air force are the Police and Regiment.'' :cool: :cool: :cool:

NIWorker
23rd Apr 2005, 13:09
MBH

You confuse me, You want us to do speed checks but moan because we check tax on vehicles? Do you know that if a vehicle has no tax, this invalidates the insurance? so when god forbid a child gets run over theres no insurance to cover extra medical expenses etc. You cant bump your gums about coppers doing their jobs then in the same sentence moan that they dont do another part of their jobs!

Tablet

Reference Nick Finn we have a thread running about him at our site and you are indeed very correct about him, very sad loss!

Zoom
23rd Apr 2005, 13:53
Other nations have some bad cops even if ours doesn't (!). During my exchange tour to a frozen, northerly airbase, we used to 'plug' our car engines into the mains to operate low wattage engine block heaters to stop them freezing solid. The permitted temperature range was, I think, -10C and below. Of course at night the temperature would sometimes creep above -10C, at which point the plods would drive around base disconnecting the cables. The temperature would then plummet to -God knows and cause all sorts of problems when motorists tried to start their now-frozen engines the following morning. Yes, we used to get a real chuckle out of that one.

Tourist
23rd Apr 2005, 15:15
Micromember,

oh dear oh dear oh dear. Where to start. Firstly let's all take a moment and reflect on the sort of character that defines himself by the ability to do well on a highly specific paper test, famously tailored to allow white middle class train spotters to feel better about themselves. Let us remember, with perhaps a dignified silence, that one of the many areas covered under the broad umbrella of the concept of intelligence (rather than the highly specific area covered by a mensa IQ test) involves social intelligence. The ability to avoid looking like an absolute 'member' on a public chat forum for example.

Uber Snowdrop
23rd Apr 2005, 15:19
I would like to see the RAF police doing it on the quaters patches before a child gets hit.

As much as we would like to do such things, the fact remains that we are limited 'ouside the wire' in some respects. The main issue is that MQ's which are not in our remit fall under public roads and therefore in Civ Pol's remit. (unless the Chief Constable permits us that is)

For those of you who do not know how our trade works let me give you a little insight...

Firstly, we have all types the same as ANY trade, the good guys, the Jobs-worths, the back stabbers, the keen as mustard types you get the picture. Our personallities are exactly the same as any other section out there, the only differnce is that our job leads to people being prosecuted.

Half the jobs you complain about us doing, we complain about aswell, mostly because they will be pointless. The other half we have to do, as it is what we signed up for and involve the prevention and detection of crime. If you don't like being pestered after you have commited an offence, then don't commit the offence. Its not rocket science.

Please don't have a go at lads, who for most of the time have been intructed to do pointless tasks by thier own HQ. If you wish to complain about OC Police's men then take it up with him, as it was likely under his own instruction.

The bottom line is that in this modern age if a NCO does not report an offence (no matter how trivial) and it later comes to light then that NCO is risking his career for being nice. Sorry, if it comes down to you or me, I will always watch my own back first. That said, I will still take a bullet for anyone on my stations. I am here to protect you all if I can.

Lastly before I go, ever annoy a LAC on a gate somewhere and suddenly find your section is being vicitmised by speed checks, tax checks and the like? A bit of politeness and respect from you will glean you more assistance than if you try and be a high and mighty tit.

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 15:39
I must take this opportunity to apologise for my actions & those of the rest of my trade.

I apologise that our counter intelligence people keep your computer systems secure, keep your PMM safe & sound and recover it when you've balls'd it up.

I must apologise for the actions of our special investigations teams, how dare they investigate thieves, bullies, drink drivers and rapists (yup, the RAF has their fair share).

The station feds who routinely double up as a "yellow pages / don't know where else to turn to" post. How dare they put up with abuse from scruffy personnel who who may as well wear a sack rather than the uniform they're provided.

The service police dog handlers who patrol the ASP's, they have no right to moan when they get wet or frozen. The drugs detection chaps, tut tut, what are you doing? Couldn't you do something more constructive with your time, like catching real criminals? The arms & explosives search teams, rubbish. We could get rid of them too, I mean, what use are they?

The tactical teams, is there really any need for us to escort aviation fuel up and down Iraq?

And air transport security, the shoe bomber wouldn't have done much damage would he?

The field security teams who had to rummage through the aircraft wreckage during TELIC to recover body parts, thats another bunch we get get rid of.

The covert teams, the child protection sections, the forensics teams & scenes of crimes officers could all be binned.

I mean let's face it, according to the only people that count in the RAF, you, the highly trained, highly paid aircrew, we're not worth the effort!

So once again, I sincerely apologise for our actions, appalling, utterly appalling!
Oh yeah, one last thing, abide by the regs that the government & RAF lay down, and hopefully our paths will never cross!

For those of you who are the not only law abiding servicemen & women, but are actually nice people to boot, I & my colleagues salute you. We shall endeavour carry out our jobs in the friendliest, sincere & most efficient way possible.
Take care one and all.

Uber Snowdrop
23rd Apr 2005, 15:53
The same guys (and OO!) managed to save a civvie from hypothermia as he lay in the snow outside the Stn with a broken leg later the same year.

Sorry it wasn't the same guys. As I dealt with the fireman who broke his leg.

However the ethos is the same for all NCO's.

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 16:21
For those of you who do a worthwhile job then well done. I would also like to add that it isn't only dog handlers that get cold and wet at night. What about the groundcrew who work tirelessly, in all weathers, and at all hours, just to make sure that plod have an aircraft to guard in some far away country. Then spare a thought for the aircrew who have to fly you to said far away country to guard the aeroplane, which incidently is not the property of the aircrew.

NIWorker
Yes I would like to see speed checks on quaters so that the mindless few can be made aware, and will hopefully exercise a bit of caution in the future. As for checking tax discs, WHY, the propper plods can do that (who knows it may improve their statistics for unsolved crimes) so leave it to them.

Controversial Tim
23rd Apr 2005, 16:49
mensamember,

So let me get this right. You believe that RAFP have a high IQ, and aircrew have a low IQ.

Best you choose a new username. :rolleyes:

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 17:00
monkeybumhead

Big hand to the guys and gals who do their job, but after all, they're only doing their job! And we're doing our job whether the frame is u/s or not, regardless of location.
Spare a thought for the aircrew, why? All trades do a great job, as do most of the armed forces. This isn't about us & them, it's about blinkered toe-rags who moan about trivia, pointing their fingers because they can't keep their admin squared away.

It's not a case of the RAF Police, waste of space, it's more a question how do we keep our knobbers in check? (RAF not trade)

And have a word fella, tax discs? Shall we just hand it all over to civpol? Tell me where the line is drawn for what we deal with and what civpol deals with, oops, silly me. It's already there, that'll be MAFL, QR's, AP's, SSO's & SRO's, common law, statute law etc etc.
Forgive my ingnorance, but by signing on the dotted line & entering an RAF station, where does it say that YOU don't have to abide by the regs laid down?

Got to agree with Controversial Tim, why are we generalising again? Isn\'t this how this absurd thread started?

tablet_eraser
23rd Apr 2005, 17:23
mensamember, I appreciate your interest, but you make a poor argument. If you're concerned about people making the blanket accusation that RAF police are in some way stupid (an assertion I haven't seen anywhere in these posts despite all the invective), fair enough. Surely you realise you shouldn't qualify this argument by making the equally tenuous suggestion that all aircrew have a low IQ? You've totally invalidated your own line of reasoning.

As for the story about CAS, I'd be interested to know what your source is.

TE

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 17:42
aes
Cars outside wire not on camp, therefore should it really be your problem? Anyhow, seeing as many of us get sent to some god awfull holes on this planet, for long periods of time, it may just be possible that our tax expires whilst away. It could also be possible that our better halves are taking the opportunity to go away and visit friend & family for extended periods during this time, it does happen, and the renewal is overlooked untill return. Not all of us are lucky enough to have a garage in quaters, and not all quaters are behind the wire. It's a bad enough world that we live in, why make it worse by trying to fcuk over our own? Would you like it if you were in the previously mentioned situation, only to come home after 4-6 months away to find someone with too much time on their hands reported you for not having your car taxed?

Uber Snowdrop
23rd Apr 2005, 17:51
As it is, with the new DVLA system if you haven't got a new excise licence before the old one runs out, and you have not made a SORN, they automatically send out your 80 quid fine and possible further action.

What if my vehicle licence (tax disc) is due to expire while I am abroad?

If you are going to be abroad when your tax disc is due to be renewed you may apply for a new disc up to 2 calendar months before the existing disc expires. Advance applications can be taken or posted to a main Post Office® branch or a DVLA Local Office. Applications must be made on a Vehicle Licence Application form (V10) available from Post Office® branches and DVLA Local Offices. If you are making a postal application you must also submit a letter explaining why you are applying to license your vehicle so far in advance. If you have an address abroad you can ask for the disc to be sent to you there.

If you are abroad when the tax disc expires but your vehicle is being kept off road in the UK, you can make a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN).

If you are temporarily taking the vehicle abroad with you, remember to speak to your insurer to check that you are properly covered for the use of the vehicle. You will also need to fix a GB sticker to the back of the vehicle.

Really there is no excuse for not having your car taxed. Likewise it is now pointless due to the new system for us to check your vehicles for discs. DVLA will get you instead.

The Helpful Stacker
23rd Apr 2005, 17:53
monkeybumhead - Well said.

I was going to say something similar but was struggling to find words that didn't make it sound like I was 'slagging off' the police trade.

In my previous post (with those RTR lads in the West Mids) we often spent long periods deployed away and there was nothing better than returning from 4 months in Bos or watching MTV in Ulster and finding a 'report to guardroom with vehicle docs' note slapped on your windscreen (with that glue thats a b:mad: d to get off), even though there is a nice big note inside the windscreen informing any wayward job worths of your OOA status. Obviously I'm talking pre-SORN.

:*

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 18:06
uber plod
In your last post you state " it is now pointless due to the new system for us to check your vehicles for discs". So why the hell were the Lyneham plods wasting their time doing so? There is no justification for this if I understand your last post to be correct, so they are meerly out for brownie points, and who knows, promotion to substansive CPL.

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 18:09
Cars outside the wire, on quarters? If it's a designated patrol laid down by the Stn Cdr, then yes.

Away for extended periods, I'm a member of TPW so I know exactly what thats like. But my admin and that of my colleagues is in order.

Fair play though, mistakes are made. But is it such a drama to go to the Police Flt with a valid explanation? And as for the poor old feds having too much time on their hands, jeez, do you think before you post? Do you honestly think the LAC/SAC/A/Cpl's finish their brews then make a conscious decision to screw members of the RAF, who by the way, are contravening several orders? They are ordered by their seniors to carry out vehicle checks. Should they disobey those orders? Should the SNCO's or officers just overlook certain aspects of their job just because it may inconvenience or upset you?

Big Unit Specialist
23rd Apr 2005, 18:14
Being of Regt persuasion I have a moral duty to wind up all and any RAFP. However, they have a job to do and for the most part do it well, and just like our bunch there a some bad apples.......

But winding them up is sooooooo much fun. Furthermore, the return match attempts are amusing too!:}

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 18:22
aes
I take it you haven't read, or taken in, uber plods last. He clearly states there is no point the RAF police checking to see if a car has a valid tax disc as the DVLA will be able to nab you with their system. It doesn't matter how well you sort out your admin, if you get extended for any period whilst OOA this may take you past your tax expiry date. If none of your friends have access to your vehicle insurance then plain and simple IT CAN'T BE TAXED! Just because someones insurance says they can drive any vehicle, it doesn't mean they can tax any vehicle.
Oh and by the way I wasn't upset or inconvenienced in any way by the tax inspectors, I was just highly amused by such a good use of time and resources.

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 18:24
mucho respect o gunner type.

But I am puzzled, who typed the message for you?

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 18:30
could have been his mum.

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 18:38
Regardless of what has been posted previously, the tax issue is of importance to the stn authorities. A ticket is placed to ensure the owner reports to the RAF Police as soon as practicable. If you're OOA, then so be it, no dramas. You return from det, get the car taxed, offer the valid explaination, job done.

If however, you're not on det, the car has no tax, by default has no insurance, the vehicle shouldn't be on the unit. The relevant chain of command is informed and the vehicle hopefully won't be driven and hopefully not be involved in any RTA's.

And finally we get back to your point of good use of time and resources, we should be out catching real crims eh fella?

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 18:47
Perhaps, or maybe instead of leaving someone to defend themselves from some army thugs and then nicking them you should take charge of the situation before it degenerates. Or is that too much to expect from such wonderfull people and upholders of the law.
As a wise old man once told me, never trust a RAF copper as they won't think twice about stabbing you in the back and are the biggest criminals on camp. The latter confirmed by a dog handler at Marham many moons ago, instead of feeding the dogs the chicken provided he took it home and fed it to his family.

aes69
23rd Apr 2005, 19:09
If any of my lads stood by and watched someone getting a kicking, then they'd be in for the high jump. They receive the correct trg, they have the equipment and it's their bloody job to deal with the situation mentioned. I can understand the grievance, but does that make the whole trade bad?

We've had our crooks, the same as techies that have been selling a/c parts on e-bay, the same as mechanics have used service parts for their cars, service computer parts being changed for their inferior personal ones. It goes on & on.

The RAF police can't screen potential recruits to make sure they're trust worthy, just like they can't screen for bitter & twisted individuals who believe every 40th generation story they've heard. ;)

monkeybumhead
23rd Apr 2005, 19:17
Perhaps you could come to Lyneham and re-educate our plods then as there are some who ain't doing your trade much good in the reputation stakes. Unfortunatly the good don't outweigh the bad here. Maybe your bretheren here could apply a little more common sense where parking is concerned, especially around the area of J2, J3, TTF, GEF, SES and Eng Wing Trg Cell as you have 6 sections fighting for parking.
It has been nice to see some of the plod fighting their corner, but none have admitted to being from Lyneham.

Griz
23rd Apr 2005, 19:20
Might be aircrew, definately have a brain the size of a planet. The amount of right-wing stuff that is spouted in these forums seems to be hot air. Tax evasion, driving without insurance...what next? "It's ok occifer I've only had a couple. hic"

I agree with the plods, it's your choice to break the law, tough jobbies if you get caught.

crime: an offence punishable by law
criminal: a person who has committed a crime or crimes

No tax= criminal. Ergo you are a REAL criminal. Don't pick on the guys and gals doing their job just because you are guilty. Spoke to DVLA a few months ago and they assured me that they are fully aware that servicemen may be out of the country at short notice and would take this into account.

BEagle
23rd Apr 2005, 19:24
"What if my vehicle licence (tax disc) is due to expire while I am abroad?"

Unless the procedure for sorting this out has changed recently, it is a right bugger. First you have to explain to some DVLA halfwit that you will be away on duty and physically unable to renew your tax much as you'd like to. I did this once - and then had to fax (they don't have e-mail...) a letter explaining my circumstances to the Head Post Office hereabouts. Not just any post office - only a few are allowed to hold tax discs more than 1 month ahead of the normal issue date in order to minimise the risk of theft.

Then set off for (in my case) Oxford. Park, step over the babbling drunks and asylum seekers clogging up the entrance to the post office, hand over all the papers, plus a copy of the faxed letter to the counter assistant, then wait whilst she descends to the bowels of the earth and opens up the safe to obtain a disc.....

Such an embuggerance that it is hardly surprising that many people simply can't be arsed - or don't have the time - to go through this tortuous process, preferring instead just to risk not being caught by Plod of whatever hue....

Why can't we just $hitcan the tax disc and put the cost onto fuel. It would then be impossible to avoid paying it!

JessTheDog
23rd Apr 2005, 19:50
From the comfortable vantage point of retirement, I can say that the RAFP tend to be highly dedicated and competent, in the same way that all branches and trades are - there will be the odd idiot as in any part of the RAF, but I never personally encountered one. My last station duty occurred after the roll-out of the MPGS with a JNCO/SNCO RAFP on a bleeper, and not having the on-the-spot expertise and experience in the guard room was definitely a minus point.

Checking out tax discs on FMQs is a fairly stupid exercise, but the rules are to be followed by those in uniform, and such a decree probably emanates from SHQ or further up the chain. If we all had a penny for every stupid instruction in SROs we'd all be rich!

Likewise, the suspect package incident would have generated a formal response according to the security orders and it is unlikely that the RAFP would have had any discretion whether to investigate or not. Leaving an unlabelled holdall around is fairly stupid but it is surely a case of taking the hit and getting on with life rather than blaming the system.

I have only had positive experiences in my encounters with the RAFP, sometimes in tricky situations - a burglary when I was OO and a drugs case on another OO occasion.

lineslime
23rd Apr 2005, 20:15
I recall an occurance when on guard, just a few moon ago, we were at amber and very busy. Whilst carrying out a routine patrol around the Os mess at oh my god o'clock doors to the tv room and dining hall were found wide open for anyone to enter unobserved. Matter was reported to RAFP to which they replied "it's alright there is always somebody in the building". True there is always somebody in the building, but at that time of night asleep. The patrol 2 hours later reported the same doors still unsecured. It's nice to see the safety and security of the master race is foremost in the minds of some RAFP if not those on duty that night. I for one was all for getting the authority to set off the fire alarm, or swaping TVs.

KPax
23rd Apr 2005, 20:43
One of the worst threads to appear on this forum. I am based in Wiltshire and have not come across any of these 'rogue' coppers. From my observations including a stint as Guard Cdr, they all seemed to be doing their job as ordered. Some might be keener than others, I am sure their is the odd one who has a problem, but what trade doesn't. A final note. Yes there is a problem parking cars, however one of these days the Emergency Services are going to be held up getting to an incident because of the number of cars that are illegally parked on, double yellow, or yellow grids. The car parks nearby usually have space but obviously in this modern age some people don't like walking any distance. If the RAFP were so zealous then there would be tickets on many many cars round by J1,2 & 3. Why can't we work as a team and get on. I realise this is a rumour forum, but this is a waste of time.

glum
23rd Apr 2005, 21:49
Here here!

If you started by banning all those living inside the wire from driving to work things would improve. A lot. I know it's crap at 2am to cycle back to the block, but honestly!

Have you taken your grievances to OC Plod? Asked for help? Asked for more slots or...

A shuttle bus?

Oh yeah, they tried that and it wasn't used. Hmmm. Maybe Lyneham should taxi you in - obviating the need for a car at all! Brilliant! Lets get the plod on to it right away!

insty66
23rd Apr 2005, 23:44
I may well be missing something here
but.

"the same as techies that have been selling a/c parts on e-bay"

I cant recall a genuine non-surplus piece being sold ..........Clothing however. :uhoh:

Just one question though how does scouring MQs for expired tax discs promote team spirit between the various trades/branches?

BlueEagle
24th Apr 2005, 02:42
Were they looking for expired ones, (did they say so?), or had they been advised of forged ones, altered ones or stolen ones perhaps, thought to have been seen on cars known to frequent the MQs? If they find expired ones they may well report them but was that their primary purpose in looking in the first place?:uhoh: :confused:

NIWorker
24th Apr 2005, 06:15
Do you know what, I and most my colleagues would love to have some team spirit but there are just too many people that bitch when we do our jobs, and too many that think they know our jobs and bitch when we dont do them. Cant win really. Maybe I should have chosen a nice safe techie trade where I dont have to pick anyone up for anything and could have lots of friends and tea parties. People ho dont like the police are normally the ones who have had a run in for some minor offence, but from that moment on will tell their little tales and hate every copper no matter who the person is behind the police uniform.

redrex
24th Apr 2005, 06:33
This thread has just proved something I have believed for a long time, we are damned if we do, and damned if we don't. If we just stood back and let you all get on with your little games then I am sure the complaints would flood in about security standards etc but when we do carry out our tasking to the best of our ability then we get complaints about being over zealous and jobs worths. I for one am the type of guy that will when the situation allows give someone a second chance, and I wish to build ridges with the other members of my RAF community as I am sure is the attitude of most of my colleagues. So next time a copper wonders into your section it may just be to sit and have a brew and nothing else, sometimes it is good to meet some new people. We don't always want to catch you guys out. That will be me with my community copper head on.

spekesoftly
24th Apr 2005, 07:30
As it is, with the new DVLA system if you haven't got a new excise licence before the old one runs out, and you have not made a SORN, they automatically send out your 80 quid fine and possible further action.

You can in fact declare SORN/tax your vehicle up to 14 days after expiration without incurring an automatic penalty.

The following quote from DVLA explains:-

"The law allows 14 days from the date the licence was due in which to relicense. SORN declarations are only required if the vehicle is going to be kept off road beyond this period. However, if the vehicle is used or kept on a public road it must display a valid tax disc."

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2005, 08:31
Yes, a bit intercine.

Here are some good and bad stories:

Cpl Nelson, about 50 foot up a giraffe day after day keeping a watch over 4-Vs in Malaysia. RMAF Auxiliaries sheltering in the shade down below. If the said Cpl had been shot and fall I am sure the Aux would have legged it. He had a first rate view point if a little weak in cover from view.

Blue lamp taxies in Cyprus and Malta.

The RAFP greeting our co-pilot returning to Akrotiri on the nigh be fore a month long driving ban - "Would you like to park your car over there Sir and we'll run you up to the mess.?"

It was probably the same rozzer who had nicked him 4-weeks earlier driving the short way round the roundabout. The message there is that these guys are there all the time I get used to the wall-paper and spot the out of ordinary.

And then there was the RAFP A/Cpl/U who shot the aircraft he was guarding with an air pistol or the other one who threatened to shoot one with his pistol.

Or the RAFP who ejected a Gp Capt CMO from a no-lone-zone and was awarded 14 days .....

immediate leave.

Or all the RAFP who did not stand on ceremony during QRA alerts and would obliginly park the Q vehicle and ensure the apron was clear - except the one that did not park Jpohn Pack's car of course <g>.

On balance a long, lonely job, well done.

C130 Techie
24th Apr 2005, 09:41
If you break the rules then you are responsible for the consequences that you bring on yourself.

We in the military are not above the law and in general the same laws apply inside the wire as outside (speeding, tax discs, theft etc).

The RAFP do an excellent job both on units and in the MQ patch even though they are often very restricted in their authority. I believe they should have the full authority to clamp cars that are untaxed and more seriously to conduct breath tests.

IF YOU DON`T BREAK THE LAW IT SHOULDN`T WORRY YOU

The parking problems at Lyneham are much aggravated by the large number of lazy people who insist on driving in from the blocks or from MQs. This cannot be blamed on the police, try walking or cycling you might even find its good for you.

monkeybumhead
24th Apr 2005, 09:55
Maybe I should have chosen a different title.

RAF Police, good, bad or indifferent.

It would have given all the chance to tell tales of experiences with our much abused plod, be it good, bad or just plain amusing. It isn't a case of disgruntled techie lashing out, if I was going to do that then I would head straight for the lyneham thread or the lean thread.

By the way I cannot condone the sale of aircraft parts on e-bay, it's hard enough to get hold of some as it is without them being flogged off. As with the parking issue, if the livers in didn't drive all of 1/2 mile to work (all ranks included) then maybe the problem wouldn't be so bad. I for one don't use my car unless I have to pick up or drop off kit, it's just lazy and could go to explain the high number of fitness test failures.

So lets drop the tax issue, it has been done to death now, and bring on the tales (i'm sure the RAFP have many they would like to add).

engineer(retard)
24th Apr 2005, 10:04
We had the night policeman in the dump use our urn to boil his eggs in. Good iniative, shame about the food poisoning for everyone else.

Who can forget turd surfing due to the presents the dogs left around.

And the John Wayne playing with his gun, shooting a hole through our PIT board.

Mind you they were all doing a crap job they I would not want to do. If I was that bored, I'm sure I would have blown something up.

aes69
24th Apr 2005, 10:17
Ladies & gentlemen of this forum, my colleagues & I read some rather inaccurate and quite damning posts regarding our humble trade.

I however, after reading the last page on this topic, have been relieved to find out the RAF has some fantastic, level headed folk in it ranks.

Our people on the ground work hard, by regulations made by people in their ivory towers. Some we agree with others we don't. It is often with reluctance we carry out the mundane, sometimes petty tasks that put you, the general armed forces populus, on the spot. For the good folk, it can be an inconvenience and we apologise. To the scrotes who can't be bothered, tough. Sort your admin & attitude out or expect more.

I offer apologies for those of you who have genuine reason to feel agrieved. Hopefully our scrotes will get their come-upance!

I hope we, as a trade, fulfill our given role within the armed forces and aim our efforts more at the changing, dangerous world around us, and less at keeping discipline within the ranks.

Take care one and all and believe me when I say, I'm PROUD TO SERVE

One last thing if I may, Pontius, do you have any more gen to the no lone zone tale?

monkeybumhead
24th Apr 2005, 10:32
aes
It wasn't my intention to start or engage in a my trade is better than yours, willy waving competition. As you can see I have realised the title for the thread should/could have been better selected. I'm not one of these scrotes who can't be bothered, quite the opposite in fact. If I can abide by the law and avoid unwanted problems then why can't everyone else? Please feel free to add any amusing, or otherwise, tales to this ever expanding thread. I know there are many out there.

JessTheDog
24th Apr 2005, 10:32
I believe they should have the full authority to clamp cars that are untaxed and more seriously to conduct breath tests.

Whooah!

One has to ask - why? The RAFP are not CivPol and I don't believe that even the Old Bill clamp untaxed cars!

There are some excellent examples of good practice - the Halton partnership with a joint manned RAF/civvie police station is one - and there are many ways to introduce chaos into a finely balanced system that relies on the good common sense of the RAFP and a co-operative attitude from the rest of the blue suiters and dependents.

Keep up the good work of the RAFP behind the wire with regard to the Manual of Air Force Law and Queens' Regulations and limit the time outside the wire to clearly defined occasions and purposes concerned primarily with safety and security.

As driving under the influence of alcohol is a criminal offence, any miscreant should be reported to CivPol. Why introduce another link into the chain with the potential for causing procedural problems that could jeopardise a prosecution? There is perhaps a case for random breathalyser checks on the gate into work but not outside of the wire as a parallel system.

monkeybumhead
24th Apr 2005, 11:00
Occasionally at Lyneham the CivPol are invited to wait at the exit gate, normally if there is a function in progress. RAFP observe vehicles leaving location of said function and radio through to the gate. Vehicle is pulled over, and if required the driver is breath tested. All I can say is serves them right for drinking & driving, especially as there is the mess (SNCOs or Os, ATAF or bunk in with a liver in). Even more so if they are heading to quaters. There is no need to do it SO DON'T (drink & drive that is)! An example of RAFP & CivPol working in perfect harmony to remove idiots from our roads, and it works.

BEagle
24th Apr 2005, 11:06
In 35 years, I only came across one RAFP who was a right pain - every other encounter was entirely fine. Whether looking after our a/c, sorting out the thieving little git caught red-handed whilst I was doing OO once - or whatever.

The Plod who was a right pain had been tasked to guard the OM at Waddington when we had a conference there. Everyone was living in surplus MQs for the night and walked across to the Mess. But this Hitlerchen decided to bark out the official challenge to everyone who walked past rather than being reasonable - what's wrong with "IDs please, gents?" However, it was rather amusing watching him trying to read the ID card he'd just told a colleague to place on the ground as, trying to juggle dog leash, torch and ID card he wasn't sure which of the 3 to occupy his 2 hands with..... Aircrew being aircrew, we decide to walk past at 30 second intervals!

So stop this silly Plod-bashing; sure there'll be the odd d*ckhead, but a quiet call to the senior Plod SNCO normally gets things sorted if needs be.

And if anyone reading this gets pinched for having an untaxed car - tough. You can find sympathy in that well-known spot - in the dictionary between '$hit' and 'syphilis' and closer to 'Squadron Leader' than 'sorry'!

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2005, 11:09
Moving to a different police force, different country and arguably different rules.

One night, drunken officer departs the club and heads across the car park to get a coat and thence travel home - not in his own car - at least that was his story.

As he approached his car, keys in hand, the local politzi arrested him.

OTOH the Lyneham incident mentioned above might have been handled differently. Letting drunks drive out of the camp was questionable in the first place; why not stop them inside the camp. Letting them be booked, and reported in the press, by civpol was not exactly a good example of community relations at work all round.

Why not an obvious police presence at the venue involved, civpol too, THAT would have driven the message home far more tactfully and any idiot could then have been tested before they even left th ecar park.

monkeybumhead
24th Apr 2005, 11:29
If you is stupid enough to drink and drive then you should be man enough to take the consequences. As for giving fair warning I think a white astra with a shiny band around it, in a prominent position, should be deterrent enough. But credit to Lynehams plod, one year at the GE's bash, they went out and put warning notices onto every car in the vacinity. I think it worked. Even the idea of breath testing someone before they leave the carpark, with an obvious plod presence, is pretty much the same as at the main gate. The offence has been commited, take the punishment and learn from it. How about a simple "IF YOU'VE HAD A DRINK DON'T DRIVE" it ain't hard.

On the exit to Lyneham you have to travel about 50 yards after the exit gate before you get to the junction with the main road. This then negates the possibility of drunk drivers making it onto the road.

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2005, 11:51
The suggestion of stopping at the car park rather than the main gate has more advantages than stopping at the main gate.

The idiot might not make it to the main gate and cause harm to himself.

The road out of camp may be used by the sensible ones walking home and they are at risk from the idiots.

There is more chance of keeping the 'good news' in house.

I am really suggesting that duty of care should come first, rather than letting the offence move off base - 50 yards exit to public road - which I am sceptical about having walked it many times.

I would certainly rather not mix it with a drunk driver between mess and pickup.

KPax
24th Apr 2005, 12:37
A tale of 'clamping'. At a rotary trg base in Shropshire the Stn Cdr in the early 90's (now an AM) decided to have the RAFP clamp anyone who was illegally parked, in particular anyone who parked near accommodation, armoury etc. The punishment, probably illegal, was a donation to the CO's fund to have your car released. Young pilot on a 6 month course arrives and duly parks his car outside the armoury for 30 mins. Car clamped, tells RAFP he is not paying the release fee, Stn Cdr says ok, I am not issuing you with a car pass. You can park your car in the village and walk to camp for the next 6 months. CO's fund £25 richer 30 secs later.
P.S. I have relatives who were badly injured by a drink driver. Only one message Zero tolerance and put them all off the road for a long time.

C130 Techie
24th Apr 2005, 13:26
Sorry , I may have been a little ambiguous, I was reffering to the RAFP being able to use the breathlyser with the bounds of a unit. If a positive sample is given then the civil police could be invited to take over

Outside the wire it is clearly a Civil Police issue.

The civil police do clamp untaxed vehicles as several people found to their cost in the MQ patch at Lyneham about 18 Months ago.

Big Unit Specialist
24th Apr 2005, 16:38
Ah, the memories of Police Flt at Boulmer: The Copper who went to get pizzas in Alnwick on night shift illegally (allegedly) and in his rush to get them back still warm put the car into a field upside down (he got out okay albeit covered in pizza!).

And the other one who drove a brand new car (the replacement for the above) through a ford usually only passable by Land Rover (and it was this time too) who very, very nearly made it out the other side but didn't as the engine went bang (you can't compress water). Said car was up to its windows in the raging torrent........

How we laughed......:}

aes69
24th Apr 2005, 16:48
Although the RAF Police did use the breath test kits in RAFG, the were not routinely issued within the UK and then fully withdrawn sometime ago.

One of the major differences between civpol & military cops, is that we can only stop & search on suspicion of certain things, ie drugs or going equiped.

Civpol are allowed to stop folk on suspicion of almost anything.

Scenario:- people leaving major function at the end of the night.

Unless RAF plod have seen the said folk drinking intoxicating liquer, or had reason to speak the the individuals thus being able to smell the intoxicating liquer, or can prove as an alleged expert, through their actions & gait that they've been drinking intoxicating liquer, we cannot stop them from driving their vehicles.

If we were to speak to everyone leaving, then follow them to make sure they weren't going to drive, then happy days.

So going back to letting them drive to main gate to be stopped by civpol, it's a poor solution to a poor scenario.

Invite civpol onto the unit I hear you say. One, civpol don't normally have the manpower to sit at our gates for 2 hours, and second, a lot of Stn Cdrs won't allow them on. He might have some high ranking people on civpol charges by Monday morning otherwise.

There are other ways of doing things, like having a dedicated function car park. Hand your keys on the way in, and sign for them on the way out. To be allowed out of the car park you'll have to have had a close up with the key controller & then again at the car park exit. Drain on manpower, not if it potentially saves lives or careers.

Pontius Navigator
24th Apr 2005, 18:08
AES69, a good response, thank you.

BEagle
24th Apr 2005, 18:52
I seem to recall that exit from RAFG bases on Friday nights used to require 'signing out' at the guardroom - and anyone acting doubtfully was required to hand over their car keys?

joe2812
24th Apr 2005, 19:29
Can I just say...that while reading this on-going thread over the last few days, how petty the anti-RAFP brigade sound.

They have a job to do... at least they're RAF and not Army, then you'd really have something to moan about.

They have a job to do and I find it sounds rather unfair when such comments are directed towards them. Sure you have your little Hitlers and whatnot, but what trade doesnt.

They pull you over for drinking, invalid tax, or have a go for some other petty thing and you moan. Lets hope some friend or loved-one isn't hit by that same lunatic in a car, then you'll really have reason to moan.

In my experience RAFP were nothing but nice, got a blue-light taxi home when getting separated from parents at Gutersloh, aswell as first aid from a passing rozzer when falling off my bike at Wildenrath.

Will follow the thread still, but I cannot believe that the so-called elite come on here to bitch and moan about others working towards the same common-good.

Spotting Bad Guys
24th Apr 2005, 19:42
As an ex-colleague of Nick Finn, I'd apreciate it if anyone in the know could please PM me with more info regarding this sad loss to the RAF.

Thanks

SBG

C130 Techie
24th Apr 2005, 21:12
Totally agree with your post.

Rank doesn`t make any difference when it comes to drink driving the consequences are the same. I would hate to think that any CO could be capable of such a narrow minded action trying to protect the reputation of an errant serviceman of whatever rank leading to someone being killed by a drunk driver.

tablet_eraser
24th Apr 2005, 21:22
SBG and all concerned,

On Monday 18 April I received a telephone call from Nick's sister, Louise, informing me of his sudden death. At the time the circumstances were not clear, but they have now been confirmed.

Nick, a 38 year-old Provost Officer based at AWC Waddington, had been white water rafting at the National Water Sports Centre, Holme Pierrepoint, Nottingham. A keen sportsman (he played rugby regularly and had only recently returned from a walking holiday in Wales), Nick was no stranger to knocks and spills, so when he fell out of the raft he and his friends were having a great time. On returning to the raft, however, Nick complained about having something stuck in his throat and fainted. His friends attempted to resuscitate him but he was declared dead at 5.45pm, Saturday 16 April. From what his sister said to me, the post mortem uncovered a tear in his aorta which might have been there for some time. In effect, Nick didn't stand a chance and sudden death was almost a certainty.

Nick was one of the most gregarious, constantly up-beat men I have ever worked with. As my 'R' Flight Commander at Cranwell, it is no exaggeration to say that he made me who I am today. Those of us who he pulled through Cranwell have a lot to be grateful for. As one of my friends put it, "Nick restored my faith in the people I work with. Without him, I'd have given up on IOT." I also worked closely with nick following graduation at Cranwell Exercise Plans. Not much achieved in terms of officer development, but it does count as one of the most riotously funny periods of my career to date.

Nick maintained an ongoing interest in his former students. I spoke to him a few weeks before his death, and he was, as always, keen to find out about what I and other former flt members had been up to. He also sounded tremendously happy that he was playing rugby again after a long-term knee injury.

Nick's loss will be felt across many areas in the Service. He had an immensely varied career, one which took him to Sarajevo, Thumrait, Northern Ireland, and other troubled areas of the world. I don't know anyone else who managed to get chased out of Radovan Karadic's back garden by an Uzi-wielding bodyguard. Most recently he was working closely with the Int community at the Air Warfare Centre, something of a trailblazer for his branch.

His funeral will take place with full military honours at St Luke's Church, Hickling, on Tuesday 26 April. If you knew Nick and would like more details about the service, please PM me.

TE

Taffwales
24th Apr 2005, 23:50
Well, I remember Battle of Britain night at BZN in 1976!!!

Drunk Flt Lt not quite old enough to have served in the battle decided to drive home at about 0100 hours but did a U turn at the traffic lights in centre of Carterton to return to the gate, guard asked for his ID card, but he said he could not show it as he was ''the intelligence officer'' and nobody was allowed to see it!! Guard telephones RAFP for assistance, I was diverted to the scene, and found F/L slumped over the steering wheel. As he was still outside the gate I called for Civ Pol to attend, and I removed the car keys from vehicle. F/L got stroppy and refused to get out of car, threatening me with all sorts of things, (I liked a challenge!!)
PC arrived very quickly and I was requested to help get 'IO' out of his car. After considerable aggro he was arrested and taken away.

An hour later I was in the office for a spell, writing up the incident. Phone rings, ''Good evening Corporal, Wg Cdr ******* here, regretably one of our officers has been arrested for drink / driving. I want you to telephone Superintendant ***** in Witney Police Station, give him my regards and mention that I am a member of the same Freemason's Lodge as him, and ask him if he could possibly sweep this one under the carpet''.

To save the Wg Co further embarrassment, in the form of Stn Cdr having him in for interview without coffee on Monday morning I chose to disobey his order.

But, later the following week, I thrashed the Wg Co at squash, as a punishment for trying to put me in an embarrassing position with the local police! Gave him a right run around the court, he nearly collapsed. But he never knew it was me who he spoke to a few evenings previously! The pillock!

F/L had his day in court, fined and lost his licence for a year.

On another occasion local PC came to seek assistance in locating a 'suspect' for something or other, we felt he would be in the Families club, just 'outside the wire'. We were asked by PC to go and help him. On arrival we found a number of officers present including Wg Co Admin, who strutted across and said, '' Get out, we have not asked you in here''. PC said he was authorised to enter as he was seeking a felon and did not need an invitation. The Wg Co spluttered and said,'' Well, you (meaning we 2 Cpls) can leave''. I said, ''We have been requested to assist the Constable''. Wg Cdr says, ''I don't care, leave now''. The PC said, '' They are assisting me and if you persist in obstructing me in the course of my duty, I will arrest you and take you to the Police station''. That shut him up. Did what we had to do and departed.
Wg Co had to have a chat with the Stn Cdr next day, who reminded him of his responsibilities!

glum
25th Apr 2005, 00:11
Steady, we'll be bashing the officers next!

I have several stories, all of them put the RAFP in a good light. I've been caught untaxed, bollocked and allowed to renew without further ado.

Been stopped for a light out, breathalized (bit OTT) and allowed on my way.

Been woken at 1 in the morning by Plod informing me that my vehical had just been vandalized in the NAAFI car park! They saw the geezer do it, and chased him to the adjacent block, where they waited for bloody ages trying to get in. He'd vanished though, and they later used some interesting tactics to get him to own up!

Over all, had no probs, and they have been nothing but polite whatever the contact.

Scud-U-Like
25th Apr 2005, 04:49
The RAF gets a lot of bang for its buck from the RAFP. They are a remarkably adaptable bunch and run on a fraction of the budget of most police forces.

During Op Telic 1, for example, when the Mod Plod found themselves completely out of their depth, providing security for the B52s at Fairford and some very high level flapping ensued, the RAFP were called in by VCDS himself to sort it. They did.

lineslime
25th Apr 2005, 09:48
I rember an incident involving an aeroplane driver, won't say what squadron, who decided to do the stupid & lazy thing and attempt to drive to quaters after a night on the lash. Got as far as the camp gate, RAFP stopped him then called CivPol over. The following sight was one to behold. Out of car steps driver dressed in T-****, shorts with RAF shoes & socks whilst being very unsteady. Needless to say he was nicked and carted off to spend some time in the local cells. RAFP had to move the car to a safe place, unfortunatly the copper couldn't find 2nd and the throttle must have stuck open as the engine wasn't half screaming. Still if you are going to be stupid enough to drink and drive you must be prepared to accept the fall out. I wonder if his boss tried to get him off the charge?

Uber Snowdrop
25th Apr 2005, 10:10
A read of the recent posts shows a feeling that you would like us to do more on units, sadly at present this impossible.

A lot of units have changed to core policing, so no copper on the gates etc and indeed many units only have 1 or 2 coppers on shift and probably on a pager at night as they work days too.

Theres only a few units where we have the manpower to do the job we want to do, I am sure you know which ones they are.

I don't like the thought that we can have junior Cpls attending an incident on their own, which can be anything from a Naafi riot to a fatal road crash or worse. However that is our lot and we have to get on with it.

With regard to Impaired driving, some units still have breath kits and use them and you are quite correct there is no excuse for drinking and driving no matter the rank. I have lost friends to such idiots and no sympathy will be forthcoming from me.

As for stopping a suspected drink driver leaving the unit...well you can look at in two ways. If you know that he/she has been drinking then he should be stopped if possible otherwise the NCO will be condoning the offence. On the otherhand whilst on unit the offence is contary to orders and although Harry won't be chuffed its not a hanging offence, outside the gates it becomes a civil offence and I am sure I dont have to explain the ramifications of being stopped by Civ Pol after a 'tip off'.

Of course I am not suggesting that is common practice, but sometimes it is just impossible to stop a vehicle before it leaves the confines of the unit. (Especially if your somewhere on a pager...)

One last thing, when you're overseas (Cypus, Gib, OOA) the RAFP will very quickly be your best friends as we are there to help you more than 'do' you. So the next time you have been caught out by a Strip bar Scam, Beaten up by russian mafia taxi drivers, arrested by the local plod....just remember that a lot goes on behind the scenes to enable us to smooth things over and indeed get you justice or released!

FJ2ME
25th Apr 2005, 10:52
Unfortunately, my impression of the RAFP is that they are jobsworths who have no concept of what is important and what is not. They are only interested in 'easy' convinctions (tax discs, speeding etc) because these mean the minimum of work. If this sad case of affairs is indeed not truly indicative of the fine work these people do, then the unhelpful, lazy ones should be weeded out because they give your service a bad name. I cite a number of examples;

Firstly, at a previous station many moons ago, I had my car broken into on base, in the same evening as a number of other livers-in had numerous items stolen. The garages are not 100yds from RAFP station and armed personnel. I reported the stuff gone, as did the others, not a dickie bird. Fine, bad luck, I thought.

Some days later, had the displeasure to share my lunch break with a number RAFP from home station and A. N. Other. Took about 20mins of listening to them bemoaning that they were only allowed to use their speed camera on base, and various other inter-station speed camera bragging, until I politely inquired about leads on my stuff. (Let's not forget this is a base with armed guards, several personal, and an extremely large inventory of expensive aeroplanes- I would have thought that unauthorsied intrusion, theft, and damage to property were fairly important cases for these people.) No leads alas, still, caught OC Admin doing 22 MPH the other day! Ha ha. To$$ers.

When I had the bad luck luck to draw orderly officer duty during a large officers' mess function, I completed my task of the key check in the guardroom. In the guardroom I found SNCO RAFP with a number of his civvy mates. When I casually inquired if they were having some sort of police party, they said no no, just invited the civvies along so, if there is any trouble at the function, we can get a proper criminal convinction rather than a slap on the wrist from the Staish. Good, thanks for that, lads.

Another one. When going away on short overseas detachment to benign EU country, we had to have the obligatory Int brief from SNCO Police. (A different one to that described above) On congregating in the agreed lecture theatre, no policeman to be found, and after 20 mins, still no-one turned up. Decided to de-camp to police station (as they weren't answering the phone). On arrival RAFP Sgt T. Osser, 'explains' to Sqn Ldr IC detachment that, as brief contains classified material he couldn't possibly remove it from the police station. Never mind that he agreed to the original meeting place and never said anything about a problem, he then admitted, after heavy 'questioning' from said furious Sqn Ldr, that in fact he couldn't be bothered to get himself across camp as it was raining and he knew we'd turn up at the Cop Shop in the end! Unbelievable.

These indescribables should be put out to pasture where they can do other jobs that they are eminently qualified for such as parking warden, tea boy &c, as they are, on the whole, an over-empowered bunch of wasters.

The prosecution rests, m'lud.

Uber Snowdrop
25th Apr 2005, 11:27
Firstly, at a previous station many moons ago, I had my car broken into on base, in the same evening as a number of other livers-in had numerous items stolen. The garages are not 100yds from RAFP station and armed personnel. I reported the stuff gone, as did the others, not a dickie bird. Fine, bad luck, I thought.

Before you conclude this case, lets look at the evidence. Was there any?

I mean an investigation of any kind is the collection and colation of information. Without that the investigation stalls.

Did they find fingerprints? Have any witnesses? If you have no leads then you cannot waste time trying to make some up just to apease the complainant. The sad fact is that some crimes will never be solved due to lack of evidence.

As for Civ Pol being on station, did the function contain civillians as well?

I ask as many an incident has occured on camp by non-service visitors and the SNCO may be seen as prudent in asking Civ Pol to stick around just in case. As for them dealing with service personnel, on base, sorry it would never happen, as we retain primacy in that respect unless of course it was a serious civil offence (murder, rape etc) and we would offer it to them to deal.

As for the SNCO who couldnt be bothered to visit you, well if that is true then there is no excuse. It shows a lack of interest and professionalisim.

It seems that from a few incidents your opinion has been clouded on our trade. Which is has to be said is very narrow minded.

As people have previously mentioned, every trade has the 'rotten apples' and the 'good eggs' and just because I have met some other trades and indeed officers who are a complete waste of space, does not mean that I am ignorant enough to think that their whole trades/branches are like that.

caught OC Admin doing 22 MPH

You seem to miss the point about discipline, rules are there to be followed even if you are one of the people who set them. Irony is a pretty common.

If you can't maintain discipline, then how do you expect the troops under you to act. Leading by example springs to mind.

The Helpful Stacker
25th Apr 2005, 11:34
If you can't maintain discipline, then how do you expect the troops under you to act. Leading by example springs to mind.

At a unit I was previously at we had to remove the keys for Clothing Stores from the main supply bunch and entrust them with the duty supplier as the RAFP patrols were helping themselves whilst out checking blisters at night, and not just the odd pair of socks either.

Back to the old 'few bad apples' is it?

Uber Snowdrop
25th Apr 2005, 11:46
"bad apples'?

Certainly, theft is theft and should be dealt with accordingly.

Was it? If not why not? Was it reported?

FJ2ME
25th Apr 2005, 11:47
Sorry Uber Snowdrop, for upsetting you there. Addressing a few of your points:

EVIDENCE

The RAFP didn't even try to collect any from the car, and my statement was the only thing they took. (which took ages because the uneducated oik kept trying to correct my English, so I first had to teach him the language)

CIVVIES AT EVENTS

To my knowledge there were only 1 or 2 civvies at the whole event, and they were civvy MOs from the med centre. Trust me, problems involving those individuals were not in the minds of the RAFP bod I spoke to. As to RAFP retaining primacy, now I'm stumped. If the civ pol could do nothing I know not why they were asked to attend.

RULES &C

I agree wholeheartedly that rules are there to be followed, no matter who you are. But I think it may be you who missed my point. If you agree that limited resources must be directed at the most important problems (do you?) then I'm sure you will agree that speed checks on a base with not one speed-related accident recorded in my time there takes a far second place to solving a known and regular intrusion/theft problem. My stuff being stolen, I was told, was merely one of a host of incidents involving off-base people coming on-base and committing theft and/or vandalism. So why are 3 plod (out of around 4 on station at one time) stood on the main drag in their nice fluro vests radar-gunning personnel? My point is that there are more pressing concerns for these people to be addressing.

I cannot help developing an impression on MY exposure to the RAFP can I? If the guys I have dealt with have given a bad impression of their ilk, that is not my doing. I am more than willing to admit that there are wasters in every branch, my own is no exception and I could list many.

However, it is the overall impression we are dealing with here. In my experience OC RAFP on a station is usually a very decent fellow/lass trying to do an honest job with far too few resources. Unfortunately for him/her, the type of people attracted into the RAFP NCO role are part of this poor resource in my opinion. They seem to me to be the sort of person who finds speed cameras extremely interesting, and is inexplicably excited by the prospect of pi$$ing someone off.

I'm sure, and I do hope, that there are some decent folk in the RAFP, and not just the officers, but please take the powers away from those who are not fit to hold them.

Just as you have an opinion of aircrew fostered by the encounters with enebriated vandals, or drunk-drivers &c, I have an impression of RAFP. I apologise if this seems narrow minded but each time I move to a new station and am prepared to give the new bunch a fair go of it, invariably I am let down by the same attitudes.

And just for the record, drunk drivers should be hung, drawn and quatered. I am not at all seeking to justify their actions in this forum and such miscreants deserve the full force of the law.

Uber Snowdrop
25th Apr 2005, 12:39
FJ2ME, far from upsetting me, I just like a debate.

My stuff being stolen, I was told, was merely one of a host of incidents involving off-base people coming on-base

Which means Civ Pol would (should have been) be dealing with your case. The suspicion of local people means we wouldnt deal with it, unless we caught them in the act.

(which took ages because the uneducated oik kept trying to correct my English, so I first had to teach him the language)

Statements do take a long time if they are done properly, the recording of which is a two way 'interview'. To achive the aim of the statement serveral parts have to be included, most of which do not sound like they are part of the Queen's English.

If you feel that the NCO recording the statement was not upto scratch, you can always write it yourself. Remember it is your statement. We only write is as we (should) know what we need to get into the statement from the legal aspect.

To my knowledge there were only 1 or 2 civvies at the whole event

Well then it sounds like they were in for a 'brew' and a joke was being made. Civil Police visit PHQ's regulary for liason visits and for the dissemination of local intellegence. Its nice to know the faces you may have to call upon on day.

limited resources must be directed at the most important problems

Limited resources indeed. You want us to deal with the more important issues, like perhaps personnel walking on the grass? Or is it anything that does not impeed you in your day to day activities?

Who is to say what is important? Speed checks are important to a degree and it could be argued that there were no speeding related accidents at your Unit due to the fact the Speed checks were acting as a deterrant.

Which comes under one of our main roles...The prevention and detection of crime.

Now please bear in mind, that we have limited resources, 90% of our day to day duties are set in stone by OC Police or his representative. Therefore if we get told we have to do say, speed checks, or indeed any other 'non-important' duty then it takes us away from patrolling the rest of the camp for that duration. The bottom line is that we cannot be everywhere at once, no matter if we would like to be.

This of course is likely to get worse as we get smaller, but still have all the jobs we used to do with say 5-7 on shift but now with 1 or 2 NCO's.

And I reitterate, most of the 'menial' tasks we are given to do come from OC Police, we are just the face of his direction. So you can conclude that he thinks that perticular task is important at that time.

I myself like to use a bit of common when it comes down to minor offences and usually find that it works wonders. However I would be quite with in my rights to report someone for an absolute offence , and the attitude of the offender bears a lot on my decision.

Unfortunately for him/her, the type of people attracted into the RAFP NCO role are part of this poor resource in my opinion

Again, narrow minded. I know a vast amount of people from my time in this trade and I can say, minus a few exceptions, that they are intellegent, dedicated and professional. Personally I couldn't care less about speed cameras, what I find interesting is people. I don't go out of my way to piss them off, I am here to assist the majority and deal with the minority.

JessTheDog
25th Apr 2005, 13:01
As for stopping a suspected drink driver leaving the unit...well you can look at in two ways. If you know that he/she has been drinking then he should be stopped if possible otherwise the NCO will be condoning the offence. On the otherhand whilst on unit the offence is contary to orders and although Harry won't be chuffed its not a hanging offence, outside the gates it becomes a civil offence and I am sure I dont have to explain the ramifications of being stopped by Civ Pol after a 'tip off'.

Surely responsible adults should stop someone in theircompany leaving the Mess/NAAFI/bar if it is thought they are unsafe to drive and they may be intending to do so? It may be seen as loyalty to turn a blind eye, but what about the consequences if someone ends up dead or seriously injured? Stopping someone could entail the threat of a telephone call to the guardroom or to the local nick. The issue shouldn't be ducked and left to the RAFP.

KPax
25th Apr 2005, 13:02
I see with regret that some people are still bashing the RAFP. I wonder if FJ2ME has ever done an OO at Lyneham. Did Guard Commander for a couple of weeks, had an exceedingly good working relationship with the RAFP. The 3 Guard Cdrs main gripe was that part of the OO's duties were to pay a visit to the Guard Force a couple of times during their duty. 3 Grd Cdr's saw 3 OO's in 4 weeks. Main excuse, couldn't be bothered. SWO then OCA dealt with. As I have stated we can all come up with tales of woe for any trade. It would be nice to hear about some of the better tales from the different trades.

BEagle
25th Apr 2005, 13:23
On several occasions, as VC10 DetCo in Incirlik, I was very grateful indeed to our friendly RAFP for interceding when the steroid-chewing iron-pumping gun-toting red-necked crew-cut uberfascists masquerading as Spam cops had any dealings with one of our lot....

Funniest ever was the 'Indecent Exposure' incident. One of the groundcrew ladies was returning (on foot) from some function with a colleague when she tripped and stumbled into a tree, covering her blouse in sticky buds. Perhaps hardly surprising for a lady with an obviously high centre of gravity and reduced stability caused by an affluence of incohol..... So she decided to remove said blouse, under which she was wearing a black lacy bra of epic proportions. Halfway through removing the buds from her blouse, along came Dimwit and Thicko in their patrol car......Whoo-ooh - "Freezanassoom the position.....!"

The RAFP were true ladies and gents compared to the mindless, robotic cretins of the Spam cops.

BootFlap
25th Apr 2005, 14:25
Got stopped once by a RAF Copper for riding the wrong way up a one way cul-de-sac on Stn!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Took me 10 minutes before I worked out I was in the middle of an almighty wind-up!:ok: :ok: No bad memories to post I am afraid.

Pontius Navigator
25th Apr 2005, 19:34
Bad one first, at Nav School the night security round was done by an RAFP and an RAF. As the RAFP was regular they got in the habit of nicking the odd Mars bar from the coffee bar. The 'even' bar was given to the RAF guy thus implicating him.

Eventually the losses became unsustainable and we had to lock the shop. Sad but true.

Now good news. The latest Strike Command bulletin features Force Protection and gives the RAFP a very good write up and doing a job at least as sharp as the Regt.

aes69
25th Apr 2005, 19:40
Oooo oooo that's me! Well, me & my 180 odd muckers! erm the good stuff by the way!

Once again Pontius, I salute you (possibly for real one day)

Taffwales
25th Apr 2005, 22:12
Bad apples in every trade / branch.

Supplier 'supplying' petrol to locals at overseas base. Nice 100% profit.
Accounts F/L using public money to gamble in Hong Kong, but his luck ran out.
Chef Sgt taking copius quantity of food home.
F/L Catering officer ordered cooked chicken once a month to take on picnic to nice place across the water, but they never showed up on her mess bill.
RAFP jncos at St Athan raided stores so much they almost emptied it, one geezer had dustbin full to the brim with 13 amp electrical plugs.!! And enough blankets to equip an expeditionary force. All stored at home in Somerset ready for sale at market stall some months later when he was demob. Thousands of quids worth of gear in total.
Air Marshall in NATO appointment in Holland always claimed full Rate 1 every night he stayed free of charge in residences of other senior officers who he visited throughout western europe. His personal staff were too scared of him to question the fraud. When eventually a keen newly arrived SAC Accounts clerk did so, he was told that he did not seem to be fitting in well in an 'international military staff environment'. Told to shut up.
Mess manager Sgt had more booze stored in his garage than you could find in a brewery.
FS MT who never bought oil for his car, always had a free fill up in DI Bay.
F/O Accounts at Gutersloh made a few quid by spending a couple of hours once a week re-hashing the accounts roll used to calculate currency exchange from the trooper flights. But on one occasion he used red ink instead of usual black.. Idiot made about £50 from each flight.
Cpl Gen Tech, married male unaccompanied, at coastal command med base, had habit of taking small boys back to barrack room. Jailed for 2 years.
Sqn Ldr at Laarbruch, OC Youth Club and Scouts took boys to his room in the mess. Padre who was attending the court martial tried to stop 3 of us entering the court room,, ''it was not right for Cpls to be present'' he said. Rubbish, we were in..continuation training, and it was a serious offence to try and prohibit anyone from attending a public court, as I advised the Padre, politely I might add. He rang our boss for advice and was put in his place!! Witnessed laughter in court, the one and only time.. Prosecutor said, '' I now produce exhibit H, a large jar half full of vaseline, which was found on the dressing table in the room of the accused''. Defence officer said, '' I can see nothing wrong with anyone having a jar of vaseline in their room''. Prosecutor replied, very quickly, '' What, a 3 pound jar, nothing wrong?''....... Even the JAG smirked, it was hilarious for a good minute.. Then, '' The accused has admitted that the 13 black jelly baby sweets forming a neat line also on the top of the dressing table represented the number of times a boy had been ''assaulted'' in his room''. Well, he went to jail... hope he is still there.
Sgt in Cyprus raped his daughter and got 7 years jail.
Cpl at Bruggen murdered his daughter, with axe, and got life.
USAF/RAFP guarding a 'special' plane at Laarbruch were bored rigid, one afternoon, so decided to have some fun,, both had seen John Wayne, that great Amercian war hero in action, so they practiced some fast draws of their .38 pistols. Went well for a few times, but then catastrophy, the yank pulled the trigger! RAFP died a few minutes later, before any doc or medic arrived. Daily Mirror made an inocuous mention of a death at a joint UK/US installation in RAFG. Yank went to jail for several years.
Jnr Tech, a known scumbag, stole a couple of wheels off someone's car. After receiving complaint of theft, and 2 days hard slog, including 2 whole evenings of overtime without extra pay, or time off in lieu later, myself and colleage found the wheels fitted to another car. Scumbag's car!!!!!!! Ah we thought, go to jail for 5 years!!!!. No chance, Stn had had enough Court Martials, CO wanted promotion and things were not looking good for him with all the crime and courts etc.. No, no, lets do scumbag for 'improper possession'' we think he had reason to believe that the car the wheels were attached to was abandoned!!! Highly polished car which was in daily use by the owner, abandoned??? 7 days jankers awarded.. We thought, why do we bother???
Same Stn Cdr ordered that numerous car searches were to be done over period of several days, to search for stolen goods. After the first search produced enough stolen goods to fill Aladin's cave twice over, the CO chickened out and cancelled anymore. He did not want 1 Wg Co, 4 Sqn Ldrs, 15 F/Ls, god knows how many F/Os, 2 WOs, and more than 50 FSs, SgtS, Cpls, JTs, SACs, LACs, ACs, all court martialled, and about 20 civys up in Crown Court, he issued a 'stern rebuke' to all personnel on the station..
''Avon Lady'' delivers hundreds of pounds worth of girlie stuff to the WRAF Block one evening, most of which were collected and paid for by the buyers. One package, though disappeared.. Much panic, it was worth £25 quid, a lot in 1970s.. Next day after speaking to the one who should have received the goods that were missing, I knew the little **** was lying, and demanded to search her room... Oh dear oh dear,, no no, you can't do that, she's a wraf!!!!!! We found the goods, some partially opened and used. Clear case of theft.... No, no said Stn, ''improper possession'' will do, don't want a court martial.
MO issuing false prescriptions so he could get high as a kite on the drugs himself.
SNCO aircrew x 2 said they had been robbed of flight imprest whilst walking down a city street, in foreign lands, highly suspicous, but nothing to prove they made the whole thing up. But you never know, one of them might eventually have a pang of guilt and spill the beans.
Sqn Ldr issued with outside line facility on his office telephone made about £250 worth of private calls.. Court Martialled and chucked out.
Cpl did not like doing his own laundry, so he nicked over 60 shirts from drying rooms in numerous barrack blocks. Still, he was ''ill'', so sent home to UK for admin discharge.
Sgt airframes stole an envelope containing new credit card from mess post rack, used it to order goods which he intercepted before the true card owner checked for any mail, and who only became aware of the theft when he read his next credit card statement..Jail beckoned for the guilty man, 18 months.
Air Vice Marshal 'misbehaving' in gents toilet near Trafalgar Square. Had to resign of course, after court case.
SAC 'sparks' stole an electrical razor from next room in barrack block. After much telephoning to every Phillips factory in the world (yea, yea!!!) we established that when it had been manufactured, he had been stationed on an island in the eastern med! Lying little **** finally confessed.. Ve had vays of making him!!!!! Court Martialled, 56 days and kicked out.
F/Os, several of them, set a fellow pilot on fire at Chivenor, causing very serious injuries. High spirits? Never! They went to jail.
2 males seen by me, at 0200 hrs, walking out of barrack block. No street lighting and it was very dark. They were carrying mattresses and started to put them into the rear of a van which was parked right outside the doorway. I thought it perfectly reasonable to enquire as to what they were up to. Afterall, were they going to fill the van with all manner of air force goods and vanish off base. But all I got immediately was,'' You are picking on us caus we're black'' !!!!!!!! Well, they were black right enough, but even had they been white, I would have still enquired what they were up to. That is what I was paid to do. After some exchanges, similar to that seen on the movies, I established they were unable to sleep due to noise a few doors away from them and decided to move further away to a friends block for the rest of the night. Fair enough. But next day, they and a friend barged into my FSs office complaing about my intrusion into their little excursion the night before. Of all the 100 FSs in RAFP during that time, HE was the very last one these morons should have chosen to accost about their perceived problem. Their asses nearly lost conrol as he read them the riot act. I wished I could have heard it. Those that did said they would remember it for all time. Ah those were the days, before PC!!!!!!

As you see folks,,, the bosses want their cops, but don't want them to actually do anything much, too often, which would put the stations in a bad light. Can be demoralising to say the least.

Statistics and lies!.

Million miles distance between meaning of theft and improper possession, is'nt there?

False number of thefts recorded on RAF stations. Secretary of Defence swallows the figures wholesale, and thinks ALL his armed forces personnel are wonderful, honest, decent, upright citizens. And so he tells the PM, who tells HM Majesty. Wonder what she thinks, though?

Gullible fools in MOD Government, but not HM!

Good job I kept a journal, my memoirs will fly off the shelves in WH Smith, sometime soon...............

Widger
26th Apr 2005, 12:16
Taff,

Oh dear oh dear! Whilst I do not deny the validity of your comments, I do hope you are not currently serving!

There is another forum about I wish I hadn't said that!

What's that?..................can you hear that knocking at the door?

lineslime
26th Apr 2005, 13:04
I didn't notice any comments about the movements trade, about who the RAF revolves. Is it because they are very well behaved or just good at going undetected?

An Teallach
26th Apr 2005, 15:49
Aah Taff

The long winter nights must just fly by ... :rolleyes:

Gainesy
26th Apr 2005, 16:46
Taff,
Was that lot last week or the week before?:)

Safety_Helmut
26th Apr 2005, 19:44
Looking forward to your memoirs being published Taff. It's going to be right up there on the bestsellers list.

Safety_Helmut

ZH875
26th Apr 2005, 20:12
So if Taff is the writing Policeman, who is the reading one?

Taffwales
26th Apr 2005, 21:01
Evening Lineslime,

Movements staff noting details of personnel departing UK for short dets overseas and using their car keys ((which were supposed to be held securely in OC Movements safe!!)) to ''free car hire'' for days at a time. Went Ok till one idiot crashed one of the cars, on a home visit a hundred miles away, and did a runner from the scene. We identified the culprit but he was handed over to civys and was dealt with in crown court. His colleages who were involved in the scam were '' warned about their future conduct''.
Movements geezer fiddled the Sqn 'kitty' and treated himself to some good clobber, which he was not allowed to wear when he spent his time in Colchester military prison, prior to discharge from the service.

ZH, the dogs do the reading ;)

Safety_Helmut
26th Apr 2005, 21:12
ZH, the dogs do the reading
in the interests of taking the heat off the plods:

I suppose the Leckies could help the dogs with their reading ! :E

Safety_Helmut

Taffwales
26th Apr 2005, 21:36
Safety Helmet,

Leckies read? The 4 bright sparks who played games by wiring up their private parts to batteries to see who could achieve the quickest and biggest discharge were in too much pain to do anything, let alone read:ugh:

Safety_Helmut
26th Apr 2005, 21:39
Hey Taff

These Leckies looking for a "discharge", were they male or female ?

Oooh ! We're plumbing the depths here.

Safety_Helmut

aes69
27th Apr 2005, 17:54
Source: Daily Record

A PERVERTED RAF sergeant downloaded thousands of images of hardcore child porn to his work computer. Derek Bailey, 28, is the third man at the RAF Kinloss base in Moray to be caught by the anti-child porn Operation Ore in the last six months.

But the MoD denied last night that there was a network of RAF personnel downloading child porn.

At Elgin Sheriff Court yesterday, Bailey admitted downloading and storing more than 3000 sick images of children and copying nearly 100 videos of child sex acts on to aDVD.

The court heard that MoD police were told by American investigators last June that Bailey's credit card had been used to buy child porn.

Police seized his computerlaptop and equipment. They were shocked at the extent of his child pornography library.

Sharon Ralph, prosecuting, said some of the images involved child bestiality.

She said a new scale was used by courts across Europe to assess the level of obscenity. Bailey had images across all five levels.

Solicitor advocate for Bailey, Ian Cruickshank, said his client had pleaded guilty at the earliest opportunity.

He said: 'This will certainly spell the end of his career in the RAF.'

Sheriff Ian Cameron deferred sentence until next month.

A spokesman for MoD Police said: 'There is no link between the three cases highlighted during the last six months.

And some of you lot have the balls to whine about RAF Coppers!

lineslime
27th Apr 2005, 18:01
Cut his balls off with a blunt spoon, then feed them to him. A bullit would be a waste of good lead.

Fire 'n' Forget
27th Apr 2005, 19:48
Scum, thats what i say and he deserves everything he gets.

Then again he is not the first nor will be the last, so he could do what the navy Commodore in Gib did and chuck himself in the swimming pool.........

BEagle
27th Apr 2005, 19:49
Not until they've been tenderised with a steak hammer first...

Ba$tard!!

Krystal n chips
27th Apr 2005, 20:34
RAF Police. The good

The two who I knew socially through sport---great blokes and a pleasure to be with

The Bad

Called to the G'Room at RAF xxxx mid 70's--warned by C/T in advance not to sign / say anything. The accusation. You are gay. News to me but there you go. The "investigation / questions"--off to my room and the farce began " How often do you shower?--as often as req. as I am doing fuel leaks !--and "why do you have a large bottle of shampoo / large washing powder?"--because I am on the road ?--and "why are your jeans faded ?"--er, because that's the way they are made !--said if they thought I was gay, why not contact one of the above who would verify that I enjoyed the company of a certain nurse from Wegberg--they did--he confirmed--as these two clinically brain dead assinine cretins were leaving-the parting shot--"it's best to stay straight if you can"--reply was "Never been anything else sunshine"--and was duly reminded of my lower rank--apology--no chance--and the evidence--I had dark hair and worked on a Cat 3 team--the guy they eventually got--was 20 years older than me, had a moustache and greying hair---superb powers of deduction here !:mad: --will these little gems appear in Taffs Book--probably not as he seems to think his branch is beyond reproach.

The Ugly
Going on to Q one day and some minor prob with the Q pass. Little :mad: gets very jobsworth and lays down his "law"--fine--ignore but get annoyed with the little :mad: --who was actually wearing a kids sheriff's badge with his uniform as well :yuk: About a week later, we, that's those of us involved from the Sqdn in this little "exchange" are in Roermond looking through the local "book shop" as we did from time to time--and who else is there--non other than bonzo himself---looking very avidly at the very, very wrong sort of literature--think, white, ghost, face and bowel movement when he felt a tap on his shoulder and saw a collection of Engineers behind him.

The Humourous---unintended

The expression on the plods face when the F/s former V crew chief told him to "P££s off son"--and when my mate repeated his words when asked to confirm by plod as in "P££s of or I'll deck yer"--and said crew chief nodded in agreement. Not worth trying to explain what a jet pipe fire was to the plod.

Stopped on the ring road at Bruggen for "speeding"-true--but warned for "eating an apple when driving"---stopped again at St Athan late one Friday afternoon when I managed to get to 100mph--just--on the peri- track travelling from West to East--asked plod to prove how fast I was going--said he couldn't--but is was very fast he thought !

All a long time ago now--but I have never forgotten the two "prime examples of being thick as pig manure and twice as dense" who accused me of being gay without any foundation.

Onan the Clumsy
27th Apr 2005, 20:45
a moustache was it a bushy moustache?

Ray Dahvectac
27th Apr 2005, 21:37
...accused me of being gay without any foundation

Unbelievable ! All gays know the importance of foundation.

;)

Taffwales
27th Apr 2005, 23:53
Ooooooh the queers,

One of these types was using a mechanical contraption one evening in order to get some satisfaction. Unfortunately he could not get it off. Was in great pain and went to SMC for assistance. MO attended, identified the problem and made a telephone call to the guardroom. Call out the duty MT fitter who was needed urgently at the SMC, with his tools to assist the MO.
:hmm: I know, but that is what happened, no duff!

Safeware
28th Apr 2005, 11:07
Taffwales,

I haven't replied to this thread because I agree that in all trades there are good guys and ar$es. In general, I've had no bad experiences with the RAFP, but also no good ones. Perhaps I'm too sensible to argue with a copper :rolleyes:

However, you are now:

a) showing prejudice in the trade that everyone least wants to be prejudiced: Ooooooh the queers, One of these types

b) showing scant regard for the justice system - see post regarding Flt Lt Hague - 'RAF Odiham' top of Page 5.

So, ar$e you are.

sw

Widger
28th Apr 2005, 11:32
Taff,

I seriously hope for your sake that you have retired because you are getting very close to bringing your service into disrepute in a public forum!

and contravening your service's policy on EO!

tablet_eraser
28th Apr 2005, 16:43
Taff,

Why don't you take your prejudice somewhere where it's appreciated.

I do not appreciate the allegation that all my fellow gay servicemen are in some way perverse - and before you try to wheedle your way out, I'd suggest that saying, "ooooooh, the queers" makes an assumption that "those types" all follow a set pattern of behaviour viz use of.. ah.... personal equipment.

HUMINTer you are not!

Scud-U-Like
28th Apr 2005, 17:11
Taffwales is obviously a rather old and well retired ex-region SI FS and, in my experience, his views are completely unrepresentative of the RAFP of today. Pathetic really.

As for those using this forum to take cheap shots at the RAFP, "The coward threatens when he is safe".

I cannot believe the 'moderator' of this forum has allowed this dreary little thread to continue wasting bandwidth for so long.

Ray Dahvectac
28th Apr 2005, 18:41
I cannot believe the 'moderator' of this forum has allowed this dreary little thread to continue wasting bandwidth for so long.

It is comments like this that are becoming dreary. These forums are used for discussions between/about (aka 'having a dig at') : RN/Army/RAF of all branches and trades; movers; aircrew; engineers; air traffickers; scribblies; blanket-stackers; several other 'bluntie' trades, to name but several.

Why are the RAFP an exception? Why should this thread be closed when plenty of others are allowed to run their course, even if they do include derogatory comments about one branch or another?

This is a forum. Often defined as:
a public meeting or assembly for open discussion
or
An online discussion group, where participants with common interests can exchange open messages.

So let the open exchange continue. Several members of the RAFP have spoken in the defence of their colleagues, and have won some respect from others. I am sure they are more than capable of fighting their corner. I suspect that they neither need nor want to be treated as a 'special case'.

Scud-U-Like
28th Apr 2005, 19:01
I wasn't pleading in defence of the RAFP or inviting a platitudinous 'freedom of speech' argument. It's simply a dreary thread.

aes69
28th Apr 2005, 19:08
Ding ding, round 3!

Make sure all blows are above the belt...... but biting and slapping is allowed:}

ZH875
28th Apr 2005, 19:17
I wanted to be an RAFP, :O but I passed the exam. maybe I did too well at school.

MightyGem
28th Apr 2005, 23:36
Whilst carrying out a routine patrol around the Os mess at oh my god o'clock doors to the tv room and dining hall were found wide open for anyone to enter unobserved. Matter was reported to RAFP to which they replied "it's alright there is always somebody in the building".
A bit different to when I was at Shawbury in 91, when they found an open window into a locked room, so set off the fire alarm at 3 in the morning to get us all out of the mess. The second time this happened, as I was on the ground floor, I decided to stay in bed until smoke started coming under the door.

Ray Dahvectac
29th Apr 2005, 07:34
I wasn't pleading in defence of the RAFP or inviting a platitudinous 'freedom of speech' argument. It's simply a dreary thread.

The obvious answer would be to stop reading it then. :rolleyes:

engineer(retard)
29th Apr 2005, 07:39
"A bit different to when I was at Shawbury in 91, when they found an open window into a locked room, so set off the fire alarm at 3 in the morning to get us all out of the mess."

Thought that was a chargeable offence, I hope he did the decent thing.

Skeleton
29th Apr 2005, 15:03
All RAFP like any other tradesman are not built equally. There were a few in met in 26 years that were ok, the majority, I will quite happily not miss speaking to or dealing with again.

Home of the leaping heap, a few moons ago......

Saturday night Guard Comm/Ord Sgt/all round dogsbody.
Am summonsed to the Gaddafi to find not one but two RAFP landrovers, a dog handler and his mate, and the Duty RAFP SNCO. Blue Lights flashing, it was like a scene from the Bill.

"What’s up" says I.

RAFP SNCO "Got a problem inside, three guys have been smashing the place up"

"Ok" says I "and?"

"Well" says he "you need to go in and get them out, there quiet now"

"You want me to go in and get them out - what about your lads"?

"There busy"

"Are they? There still here sitting in there wagons"

"I’m telling you there busy"

Ok says I, puts it down to a typical helpful RAFP, grab 2 members of the SSGF and proceed to "nick" 3 extremely drunk lads from inside.

2 hours later having "processed” and safely ensconced our 3 criminals I ring the SNCO RAFP.

"Hi can you lock up the NAAFI or get your lads to please - Been a bit tied up with the paperwork"

"No" no explanation, nothing just one word - "no”

Cheers Mate thinks I, and grab one of the off duty SGSF to watch our, by now 3 sleeping beauties. Proceed to the NAAFI to lock it up and then on to the Sgt’s Mess to carry out the same procedure. It was on my way back to the Guardroom I realised that I was in fact not alone, guess what I saw when I looked back, a RAFP landrover containing two of the forces finest sitting in the main station car park, so I ambled across and asked them what they were up to. The answer “nothing much were bored” says a lot.

To cap my night off the phone rang at 6.30am, it was my friend the Duty RAFP SNCO.

“Right WTF is going on? 2 of the foot patrol have just been spotted entering the Airmans Mess – Why?
“I dunno, ill find out – for breakfast I assume, they were asked to come back here first - ill sort it”

“No you won’t I will – Ill send my lads into the mess to get them out and they can come and explain to me”

Takes a lot to get me annoyed but he just had!!

“Let me get this straight” I said to him, “You wanted nothing to do with a fight in the NAAFI, or with the locking up of the miscreants, or with the security of two buildings, but you want to interview two airman that have gone to breakfast an hour early”

His answer……

“Yes – you sound upset, why”?

Needless to say the lads did not go and see him earning me a one way interview with OC Oinks and dire threats that were only stopped when the SWO stepped in to cover my six.

I learnt about RAF policeman from that, the majority I met are oxygen thieves.

Sir Loin
29th Apr 2005, 15:07
What, no reply Taffwales?

You seem to have had enough to say for yourself earlier in this thread.

Is it because there is no defending the indefensible?

It must be very lonely being such a shining paragon of virtue in such a dark and depraved world:yuk:

Safeware
29th Apr 2005, 15:43
I think he's realised what a tw@t he has made himself look. :)

aes69
29th Apr 2005, 16:22
"What, no reply Taffwales?"

"It must be very lonely being such a shining paragon of virtue in such a dark and depraved world"

I'm not sure who's the bigger ass, you lot for tarring Taff with the same brush as the tosser SNCO RAFP, or skeleton for putting up with OC Polices attitude.

Why on earth would you need the intervention of the SWO, could you not have involved the stn authorites & had the SNCO copper hauled over hot coals? Or is it easier not to & just slag them off?

Non of the coppers who've posted on here have have declared being the master race or beyond reproach. What they have done, time & time again, is put a balanced arguement forward.

Yes the RAF Police has it's share of toe-rags, but it doesn't help that you lot treat every RAF copper as a toe-rag, hence the attitude you sometimes get!

Get over it chaps, or do you hold civvi coppers in the same vane as RAF coppers?

NIWorker
29th Apr 2005, 16:50
I think its fair to say that, as in our tradeother trades have their prats and there are those that realise not all people in a trade group should be tarred with the same brush. To those decent enough to realise, thankyou for your comments. To those who dont realise, get over yourselves :)

Sir Loin
29th Apr 2005, 17:30
Get over it chaps, or do you hold civvi coppers in the same vane as RAF coppers?

As my sister in law, and her fiance are civilian police officers in a busy city centre, and also having many friends in the civilian police force, the answer to that aes69, is NO certainly not.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for civilian police officers, and some of the stories they come back and tell me of the horrific things they put up with, night after night, week after week, would humble you, and certainly put your stories of sitting guarding aircraft, and nabbing people for tax disc crimes, into perspective. Even though I accept that that is not all you do (before you start) I would imagine that even YOU would admit that the life of an RAF Policeman/woman, is not at all comparable to the life of a REAL police officer.

It's also interesting however, to find that civvy coppers don't hold you in very high regard either, finding you, not in my words I hasten to add,

"A bunch of over zealous, amateur pretend policemen"

It seems that many of them see you as being a little self important, but not actually having all that much weight to throw around. Apparently, RAF police people are not looked upon favourably upon application to the civilian force either, due to the fact that they are too "set in their ways" and like to go about policing the way the RAF taught them. It apparently makes for a much better police officer if you start with a blank canvas.

Doubtless this will attract all kinds of responses from disgruntled RAF Policemen/women, however, this is not only my opinion (Although I wholeheartedly agree) but the opinion of several serving civilian police officers.

rivetjoint
29th Apr 2005, 17:50
Un-related question, but do RAF Police officers(I don't mean the Commisioned sort) hold a warrant card like civvy police? Are they actual Constables?

tablet_eraser
29th Apr 2005, 19:26
They hold warrant cards, but these allow them jurisdiction within the RAF ONLY. They have no more powers in civvie street than you or I, unless specifically invited by CIVPOL.

The exception is in the Falklands, where military police are accorded civilian constable status as well.

ACPO1
29th Apr 2005, 19:45
I have, until now, been a passive visitor to PPRune, with a particular interest in the Military Aircrew Forum. For what it's worth, I'd like to add my personal experiences of the Royal Air Force Police.

I had the honour to serve in the RAF Police for 7 years, before joining the Metropolitan Police. Following various promotions and senior appointments in three other forces, I am now an Assistant Chief Constable, in a busy force, in the north of England.

I still maintain a keen interest in my professional roots and personally know several ex-RAF Police NCOs, who later joined Home Office police forces and attained ranks ranging from PC to Chief Superintendent.

Having a degree of influence over the recruiting policy of my own Force, I can say with some confidence that the quality of recruits we take from the RAF Police is generally extremely high. Most have an excellent grounding in general police duties, while others bring highly specialised skills and experience with them, such as Home Office Detective Training, Scenes of Crimes Officer Training, specialist search, covert intelligence gathering, dog handling, firearms and air transport security skills.

The Royal Air Force can be very proud of its police force, which, in my experience, has the confidence of the very special community it serves. I speak not only as someone looking back fondly on my own career in the RAF Police, but as someone with first hand knowledge of the RAF Police of today.

Like any organisation (including my own), the RAF Police have among their ranks some who fall below the high standard set by the majority of their colleagues. On the whole, however, the RAF Police match the professionalism of any Home Office police force and, in certain specialisations, exceed it. As far as danger in the line of duty is concerned, the RAF Police operate in some of the most dangerous places in the world.

Incidentally, rivetjoint, every member of the RAF Police holds a warrant card, which means he or she acts with the authority of the Provost Marshal (RAF) and Chief of Air Force Police. The RAF Police have powers in relation to all service personnel that are identical to those a civilian police constable has in relation to civilians. Furthermore, the RAF Police have a very sound knowledge of their ordinary powers of arrest in relation to civilians, which, under the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984, are extensive. The RAF Police are bound by the same rules of evidence and codes of practice as Home Office police forces.

Skeleton
29th Apr 2005, 21:10
Aes69......

Point taken and yes I should have taken OC Police and the SNCO to the "cleaners" officially.

But they did get there come uppance, one was severly embarrased and the other enjoyed a long journey :}

PPRuNe Pop
29th Apr 2005, 21:20
I was thinking along the lines that this thread was losing its way! Perhaps it was time to close it. Of course, there is only so much fuel that a thread like this can run on. The latest from an ACC offers a reprieve I feel and might open the topic a little more. But no gripes or digs will help it so let us see how far it will go. For the time being ;)

MerryDown
29th Apr 2005, 21:39
So then,

Im a civvy street poliss.............I can work out what a "Snowdrop" is. RAF Cop with his wifes knickers on his hat, but whats a monkey ? Is that the regiment bods.

If its any consolation my job is full of beancounting bosses, intent on spoiling all our fun by making us "do" everyone, because thats what the current government wants................

That is until they change the way they count the beans, then we will all be moulded accordingly.

Your right though cops are knobs

And a prize to the one who guesses where I got my name from (Merrydown)........................Bye

Taffwales
29th Apr 2005, 23:18
Yep I will reply;)

ACPO1 has given the perfect answer !!!!!!!!!! so I rest my case

;)

Sir Loin
30th Apr 2005, 01:27
Taffwales,

Edited for abuse.

tablet_eraser
30th Apr 2005, 06:14
Taff,

I think people were more concerned with your evident homophobia than your opinions about civvie coppers. Remember? "Ooooooooh, the queers! One of that type...."

I think an adequate précis of people's responses would be, "why don't you take your outdated opinions and sod off?"

PPRuNe Pop
30th Apr 2005, 06:26
Oh well, I tried.