PDA

View Full Version : FAA Flight Training in UK

flyafts
22nd Apr 2005, 15:18
You can not train students in your N registered aircraft for pay of any kind, under any circumstances in the UK. The owner (in the case of Trust aircraft, up to four owners at a time) may get permission from the DFT to be trained in their N reg aircraft for a limited time only. I was the first and last to be granted permission to train other people in my N reg aircraft , as well as the only person to ever get permission from the DETR (now DFT) to do this. I am the first person to even ask permission. Although the DFT has not officially withdrawn it, the writing is on the wall. The original permission stated 'as long as there are no objections from British flight schools'. By the way, I am a British Flight School!The Objection officially came from Mr Tony Gunn, Flywatch Ltd UK after I have been trading for nearly six years. It's alleged that after being fired from Naples Air Center and Ambassador in Florida, and most recently Willow Air at Southend in the UK, Mr Gunn is now working on bringing down yet another US based company, London Aviation, in Naples Florida. Contact Rachael Maddison at the US Embassy in London for more information about this individual.

Even with the DFT's permission, YOU CAN NOT FLY FOR HIRE ie: instruct, IN THE NON JAA registered aircraft with out the commercial and instructor's licenses issued by the country of registration. It's specifically worded in the ANO and the DFT can't change that. Having CAA/JAA licenses makes no difference and is not required.

Also, YOU CANNOT FLY AN N REGISTERED AIRCRAFT across international boundaries with only a JAR license regardless of the fact that it may be into another JAA country. Although it was indicated in a Flyer article last year that you could, it's not true. This frequent mistake is about to cost a whole bunch of pilots a lot of money in fines.

I am an expert in this area and just to be sure have verified this with both Bob Lynch at the New York FSDO and Ian Weston at the CAA legal department. Both agree, the rules are clear as a bell.

I would also like to point out that although Martin Robinson and Pat Malone of AOPA UK have produced an endless supply of so called N registered and FAA information as fact over the last few months, both in AOPA mag and News from AOPA UK in Pilot mag, I have yet to see one shred of FACT in anything either of them have written about the current situation. The CAA and the DFT are not cracking down on N reg and GA, Martin Robinson and Pat Malone are! If everone stops this AOPA UK sponsored slagging off of the CAA and the DFT, I think we might just make a bit more progress in promoting general aviation instead of killing it off. By the way, if you ever have an aviation legal problem, don't discuss it with any one at AOPA UK. This Ex member won't make that mistake twice.

For more Information contact:
Tom Hughston, CFII
PH: 01603301902
Fax: 01603423733
Email: [email protected]

BillieBob
22nd Apr 2005, 16:45
Well, there's a nice, balanced post from someone who clearly has a chip on both shoulders. Quite what the relevance is in this forum, however, escapes me.

dickon
24th Apr 2005, 06:11
I believe that you can train in your N reg as long as you are training an FAA student and you are an FAA CFI.

You can also train FAA students in your G reg plane as long as you have JAA CPL and FAA CFI (Grey Area).

I don't understand your problem as there are loads of clubs in Europe that do American Training with N reg planes.

Good luck anyway, I understand the frustration which is why I now instruct in the US. :ok:

porridge
24th Apr 2005, 18:03
Although I don’t quite understand the relevance of this post in this specific forum (I would suggest IMHO that it would be more appropriate under Private Flying and/or Flying Instructors and examiners). Mr Hughston does make some valid points which are:
1. One cannot train in an N-reg aircraft without DofT permission
2. To be paid for the instruction the instructor must hold the Commercial licence and Instructor rating of the state in which the training is conducted
3. One cannot fly an N-reg aircraft across international boundaries if one does not have a FAA pilot certificate
4. The CAA and DofT are not cracking down on the training for a FAA Pilot certificate and the GA operation of N-reg aircraft.
As to the allegations against Mr Gunn I do not see the relevance of these allegations of Mr Gunn’s previous employment either to this post or what effect this has on FAA operations and training in the UK. If Mr Gunn has chosen to exercise his right to object to AFTS’s operations then if that is his right and I see no relevance to the post or this forum.
I think a revised post leaving out the allegations against individuals in Instructors or Private flying with a cross link would be not only appropriate but quite helpful to persons looking at these specific forums who may be involved in FAA training or own N-reg aircraft.