PDA

View Full Version : New planes for WA Police

flametree
22nd Apr 2005, 11:22
Missed the story on the news tonight, did anyone see/hear that the WA Police were getting two news planes? If so what sort and who will drive them?

Desert Duck
24th Apr 2005, 05:12
No media statement has been issued by the WA Gov ref WA Police Air Wing

Towering Q
27th Apr 2005, 05:57
2 x XXXX, and they will.

Edited because I don't want to get my source into trouble.

Oodnadatta
27th Apr 2005, 06:28
:ok: CH9 had a short article late last week announcing the purchase of 2 x Pilatus PC12s. Some footage of the NT Police aircraft shown. Assume that they will be crewed by existing Air Wing pilots?? Good to see them get some decent equipment at last.

Oodnadatta.:cool:

Towering Q
27th Apr 2005, 08:09
Spot on Oodnadatta.:ok:
And yes, they will be crewed by current Air Support Unit pilots.
Dawny has a big smile on his dial these days.

Islander Jock
27th Apr 2005, 09:40
Dawny has a big smile on his dial these days
And to think it all started dropping meatbombs out of a crappy 182. :)

Goforit Dawny! :ok:

bjm367-80
8th May 2005, 01:38
probably not PC12s as they have had a lot of maintence problems so I have heard. not suited to the bush.

compressor stall
8th May 2005, 02:03
my oh my, some people are wonderfully miss informed. Biggest load of crap I have heard in a long while bjm

PLease enlighten us why the PC-12, of which there are about a dozen plying the skies of outback Australia day and night into all manner of ALAs and the odd road, is "not suited for the bush?"

Onya Dawnie...you'll love em. :ok: They're a top steed.:8

The Voice
8th May 2005, 02:30
well said CS.

If they were THAT unsuited to the bush, I hardly think that the RFDS and NT Police would have them in their stables .. and if it were, that they were that bad, NT POL wouldn't be getting a second one!!

Can't get much more bush than you do up there or the GAFA in WA.

air med
8th May 2005, 03:22
Some people in this forum are misguided BJM where do you get that useless information from, do your research before making stupid statements

Desert Duck
8th May 2005, 06:21
Just for info
RFDS operate 18 PC12's ( Central Section - 10, WA - 5, QLD - 3)
NT Police -2
At least 3 privately owned

Very interesting that people who have never operated a PC12 seem to have the most to say about them

Skypig
8th May 2005, 09:52
PC12's no good in the bush hey...........

Whats ARE some of these people smoking :p

Sure there were some flap drive probs in the early ones but thats long resolved and RFDS & NTPOLAIR don't have a problem with em.

Gidday DD long time no see, still flogging round the QLD outback :ok: Your SO right peole that have never driven a '12 always seem to know the most about em, why is that.... LOL :uhoh:

compressor stall
8th May 2005, 11:20
Now there's a blast from the past.... :eek:

The flap issue does still raise its head but rarely. Did not realise that there were nearly 2 dozen in the country. Good to see. :ok:

Towering Q
8th May 2005, 13:59
Stallie...I recall one of your former colleagues referring to the PC12 as a "Volvo Stationwagon", however, in all fairness he was comparing it with the B200.:E

Desert Duck
10th May 2005, 18:31
Skypig
Welcome back

Reverseflowkeroburna
11th May 2005, 03:19
I might be heading off on a slight tangent here boys, but while we've got all the "12 experts" here together...................

I was told recently (by an ex-RFDS '12 endorsed expert) that provides for a pretty rugged ride in turbulence and is enough of a handful in IMC such that it is rarely hand flown unless it can't be helped. It was mentioned that this was due to its wing loading!

This seems to be in stark contrast to the posts in this thread.

What are the thought of posters here? Can anyone verify/confirm these comments? What is it like to fly?

Thanks in advance lads :ok:

compressor stall
11th May 2005, 04:16
Its vices....

In severe turbulence, the a/p seems to disconnect earlier than a B200 for similar bumps, but it still holds on OK. It might also move around a bit more in the bumps due possibly due to its single engine central thrust point or more likely the fact that it's up to 1.5 tonne lighter than its aeromed competitor so its pretty hard to draw effective comparison.

Yes, she's heavy on the aileron, (out of interest is the PC6 or PC9?) and x-wind landings over 10 knots are best served by limiting the amount of flap.

However, there is nothing in the above that is bad nor a huge issue. Lots of people with lots of unfounded prejudice like to spread rumours.

The PC12 is a great machine, perfectly suited to a vast array of work, bush inlcuded! It requires quite a change in mindset to fly well...even coming from an EFIS B200 background. You can still fly a B200 like a B58. You can't fly a PC12 like a C210.

And finally no plane is perfect (except maybe a Shrike).

the wizard of auz
16th May 2005, 01:01
Hey ya TQ and Stallie, how goes it guys.
Hey Dawny, you owe me a can of bourbon for talking you into getting that comm and trying out for the airwing. :ok:
Hope you enjoy driving the PC as much as I enjoyed driving it. :}

Towering Q
16th May 2005, 13:06
G'day Wiz.

Forget the Bourbon, bring on the Cubans!:ok:

the wizard of auz
16th May 2005, 15:15
Gotta agree with ya there mate!:ok: and a nice mellow aged port to enjoy them with. :ok:

Dawn Raid
18th May 2005, 06:17
TQ and WIZ

I concur.

Stallie

Are you back on the mainland yet?

Dawnie

compressor stall
18th May 2005, 09:57
Yeah mate, been back for a couple of months now, although took some leave and went overseas with mrs stallie to be....

How's things for you in the big smoke...?

Dawn Raid
18th May 2005, 10:19
Hi Stallie

Love it down here. I've been back to KG a few times since leaving though - it was good to me.

Caught up with Towering Q a couple of weeks ago.

Doing my Navajo endo in the next few weeks. Stuck at JT at the moment waiting for the weather to pass.

Are you in the big smoke?

compressor stall
18th May 2005, 13:20
good to hear mate. Yep, settling in Melbourne for a bit. Good to be back after a few years kicking around oz :ok:

Mind you, I do miss the afternoons at the ski club in Darwin, the Woolshed in CNS, and Kal's pub crawl.... :ugh:

Might be over your way in a month or two for a wedding, have to catch up for a beer too many :}

Not_Another_Pot
18th May 2005, 23:13
Well let me know when and I'll come along.

The Voice
18th May 2005, 23:51
in a month or two for a wedding mrs stallie to be....

:D

really? Well done that man!!! I know a couple of shielas who'll be a bit put out :E

Towering Q
20th May 2005, 04:17
I know a couple of shielas who'll be a bit put out

And possibly a few blokes...:E

the wizard of auz
22nd May 2005, 08:18
Bwaaaahahahaha, onya TQ. :E
Hey Dawny, I'll be back down your way next week. we should catch up. beauty on the Nav/chief endo. lucky you had a start in a real aircraft. :E
Hey Stally, give us a yell when you lob, we might be able to catch up for an ale or two. tell Mrs stallie to be, I have a ripper photo of her coconuts on the lake. :}

compressor stall
22nd May 2005, 10:43
Have to catch up to see the pic. They are hanging on the wall now in the lounge room here in Melb... (the coconuts that is... :E )

Voice...the sept wedding aint ours, that's next year! :ok:

The Voice
22nd May 2005, 22:38
nice one Stallie .. beat you to it by about 12 months !! ;)

Towering Q
24th May 2005, 08:26
OK, now that we are permanently off topic...Stallie, please explain..what are Mrs Stallies coconuts doing on the lounge room wall.??:uhoh: :confused:

Desert Duck
30th Jul 2005, 05:25
flametree was a little early

WA Police have just advertised to lease one PC12