PDA

View Full Version : CX go-around

Che Xindamail
20th Apr 2005, 15:11
Has the report come out yet about the CX go-around when nobody was flying the aircraft and the autopilot was off?

Happened in HKG I believe. Sounds hairy. Anybody know more details?

Canadian Beech
20th Apr 2005, 21:41
When did this supposedly occur?

cpdude
21st Apr 2005, 01:14
Wasn't that the situation in one of those airplane movies?:} :} :}

Che Xindamail
21st Apr 2005, 01:23
I think it was last summer, go-around due windshear warning which overrode the autopilot disconnect warning. The pilot flying "forgot" the autopilot had been disconnected, and the headless aircraft wobbled around for a long while, almost stalling.

Inside info from CX please!

Cpt. Underpants
21st Apr 2005, 02:38
Journo Alert!

Buy an online subscription to the Nam Wah Jo Bo and do a search. A cheaper alternative is to use the search function on this BBS.

Fr8t M8te
21st Apr 2005, 04:37
You beat me to it Captain U.

JOURNO ALERT!!!

QNH1013
21st Apr 2005, 08:43
Coming soon...
"I know what CX Did Last Summer"
Starring... Some pilots....Some cabin crew.....Some passengers
Rating.... 18+
:zzz:

petitfromage
22nd Apr 2005, 07:00
The full story is:

A Jumbo Airbus carrying a full load of 812 passengers, mostly women and orphaned children, narrowly averted disaster clearing a mountain by just 94824 inches - or only 10,000ft.

Mr Che Xindamail (no relation) a 94year blind man who once flew a kite said "it was terrifying especially when we flew under the clothesline."

An airline spokes person said that the aircraft climbed more steeply because of the unseasonally cold weather but tomorrow would be warmer.

The flight was normal until the final stages. The pilots, after receiving a warning light that a severe monsoon was approaching, took evasive actions.

Mr Yu Konfokoff a former space shuttle aircraft modeller viewed the events from his inner city apartment in nearby Macau. "The plane was almost upside down" he said, "I knew there was something wrong, I could hear the engines backfiring."

It was an inauspicious day for flying: It was the only Monday of the week and the 4th Monday since the last Monday. According to the Feng Shui calender all people are advised to keep warm and not light fires in their living room.

A large piece of metal was found in Manila. It was painted green. It is unknown if the events are related.

HotDog
22nd Apr 2005, 09:34
Sante, mon ami.

bengi25
22nd Apr 2005, 13:08
3 1/2 minutes without any control. Fly safe. Sorry, just touch control.

cpdude
22nd Apr 2005, 15:18
petitfromage,

That is the funniest thing I have ever read here on this forum. I am so looking forward to the follow-up news report.
;) :ok: :) :D :cool:

ex-knuck
23rd Apr 2005, 11:36
:ok: petitfromage, I agree that was sh*t hot, you don't work for the Sydney Morning Herald or Chanel 9 by any chance?

Dan Winterland
23rd Apr 2005, 23:40
An journo has already benn scooped. The London Telegraph had half a page on the story soon after it happened.

cpdude
23rd Apr 2005, 23:48
Oh yes, the fabulous fiction created by the London Telegraph...what a joke!:8

alf5071h
25th Apr 2005, 12:52
I think it was last summer, go-around due windshear warning which overrode the autopilot disconnect warning. The pilot flying "forgot" the autopilot had been disconnected, and the headless aircraft wobbled around for a long while, almost stalling. This sounds about right; does anybody know conclusively whether the predictive windshear warning in the 747 overrides the autopilot audio (and visual) alert, and if so will the autopilot disconnect alert sound later?
A design weakness with opportunity for human error?

cpdude
25th Apr 2005, 14:18
This story just keeps on going-around.:) :E :bored: