PDA

View Full Version : Schofields Flying Club

zepthiir
20th Apr 2005, 07:34
Hi all,

I am thinking about changing Flying Schools to Schofields Flying Club at Bankstown as I am a little unhappy with some things that have happened at my current school.

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the quality of instructors/training at Schofields. If I am going to change schools it would be nice to be a little better informed before I give them my money.

Thanks,
Zepth

Avgas172
20th Apr 2005, 07:39
G'Day I'm an outstation member of Schoie's and have always had only good dealings with both the Instructors and staff. The girls and boys (members) at the club are a happy lot too.
cheers :ok:

zepthiir
20th Apr 2005, 13:12
I thought that may be the case.

I have had very good dealings with them in terms of private hire and general friendliness and chatting with the staff and members.

I just wanted to make sure the quality of training was as good as the rest of the service there. If it is I would prefer them to my current trainers who I am finding more and more that I cannot trust what they tell me. It seems to be that the instructors at my current school are more in the sales side of things rather than looking after what I need and want out of my training.

Zepth

centurionII
20th Apr 2005, 14:08
Go elsewhere mate,
Schoies is just a bunch of wannabee's with instructors that need to get out into the real world of aviation and do some charter gigs. Who'd want to be an instructor hanging around BK getting your 2.5 hours a week bashing around runway left doing circuits all day long.!! Get a life. :ouch:

Xcel
23rd Apr 2005, 05:02
What school would you expect to have charter guys milling around??

what more to expect from pprune, except as per usual the pilot bashing and negative attitude that is tearing this industry apart.

To answer your question however, if your looking for quality instruction chase an instructor you can trust instead of a school selling bs and your pocket...

Biggles_in_Oz
23rd Apr 2005, 05:17
Xcel
The problem is in finding such an instructor.. :ugh:
A school will have a 'culture' and policies (written or not) that will tend to mold the
instructors instructing style.

centurionII
The instructor at Schoies who taught me my IFR had a charter/freight background.

zepthiir
23rd Apr 2005, 05:33
Xcel,

That is exactly what I am trying to do at the moment.

I am currently looking at changing to either schoies or GFS at Bankstown, im thinking that if GFS have got the Qantas Cadets contract then they are obviously doing something right although the higher cost there is a bit of a turn off.

But in the end that cost may be worth it if I know I will end up with quality training from a school whose reputation wont hurt me in the future.

Zepth

Xcel
23rd Apr 2005, 05:51
gfs although they do have the qantas cadets, may not be all they seem. Again wihtout trying to slag off another organistaion, it is morrabbin that has the qantas cadets and bk that has the rear end of instructor ratings. look around and find somewhere that suits your needs, walk aorund the airport and make some phone calls. pprune is a good forum to ask some questions although the number of people that will give quality replies is clearly outnumbered by those who are angry at a system tehy helped to build.

SsaKcaj
23rd Apr 2005, 06:01
zepthiir,

are you currently at crane air?

Matt-YSBK
23rd Apr 2005, 12:12
Scoeys is an excelent outfit. The have lots of info on there website at http://www.schofields-flying-club.com.au/