PDA

View Full Version : training at moorabin airport flight schools

hughesyd
19th Apr 2005, 20:52
can anyone advise me on which flight schools to go for at moorabin?. i am currently in the uk, looking to relocate to \Melbourne. ppl through to cpl. thanks

Di_Vosh
19th Apr 2005, 21:31
H,

Try the following website, and follow the "learn to fly" link.

www.moorabbinairport.com.au

There are around 10 flying schools at Moorabbin, and IMHO most are good to very good. There are only two that I'd avoid (PM me for names and reasons why).

Your choice may also depend on whether you want to learn in a high wing or low wing (Not many of the schools have both).

Also, you may want to consider learning at one of the satellite airfields around Melbourne (e.g. Tooradin, Tyabb, or Lilydale)

But, regardless of the opinions you'll get here, there's nothing like visiting these places, and getting a first hand feel for each school.

You'd be surprised how many people will say that they had their mind set on a particular flying school but when they got there they changed their mind because they didn't like the fleet/the buildings/the instructor who did their tour, etc.

Cheers,

DIVOSH!

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Apr 2005, 05:07
I can strongly recommend TVSA Pilot Training at Moorabin as I did my PPL there with no complaints. (www.tvsa.com.au - if memory serves!) At the time they were the cheapest and I still have yet to see any evidence (both anecdotal and personally) that I got anything other than top class training.

That's not to say there are no better schools there (but as Di-Vosh says there are certainly a couple to avoid - think - theres a reason that flying schools have new cessnas - it usually means the old ones are no longer available for training!).

Also, as Divosh says - Melbourne has some good satellite fields as well. I have experience at both Bacchus Marsh (part of TVSA) and Tyabb - Peninsula Aero Club (www.pac.asn.net) which have advantages of quieter circuits and no landing charges.

Good luck and enjoy. PM me for more info if you like.

UTR

cleggs
20th Apr 2005, 05:36
Thoroughly recommend the Royal Victorian Aero Club. Lots of international and local students, friendly staff and professional instructors and a great, encouraging atmosphere. Did all of my training with them and can't recommend them highly enough.

A1BUGSMASHER
20th Apr 2005, 07:06
UnderneathTheRadar,

The said school I think your reffering to with the new cessna's really isn't interested in the normal person off the street. The training they provide very much airline orientated. Do you work for TVSA?

I'm not sticking up for them in anyway but they are only interested in training pilots through to CPL and to graduate from there with a FATPL.

Pilots I have seen come from there on a whole have a very through knowledge base and always conduct themselves in a professional manner. But by the time I have worked with any of their graduates they have had a previous job inbetween having finishing their training.

hughesyd, I have heard good things about the Aero club. One last word of advice, check the places out for yourself as it is your money and don't listen to the many people who will bag certain large school's who are doing well. Enjoy your training!

BUGS:ok:

Howard Hughes
20th Apr 2005, 07:55
There's only one place to go at Moorabbin!

Here (www.biniflighttraining.com.au)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

v1rotate
20th Apr 2005, 08:36
hughesyd

I have a friend living in Manchester who learned to fly at Moorabbin. He may be able to help you search for the right school. I think he did most of his flying at The Royal Victorian Flying School.

I've been to a few others but if you want to know my opinion of those, give me a pm and I could put you onto my friend from Manchester as well. I'm sure he won't mind.

UnderneathTheRadar
20th Apr 2005, 12:24
A1,

No, I don't work for TVSA - in fact have stopped training with them for a number of reasons - none to do with the quality of training or service.

Point taken on the different orientations of different schools - in fact, TVSA is very CPL oriented these days too - but not one school will turn you down if you walk in the door waving dollars or pounds - hence worth pointing out that shiny new planes exist for a reason.

UTR

scrambler
20th Apr 2005, 15:07
Have to agree with HH about Bini's at Moorabin.
If you wanted to head out of town how about Stawell Aviaton Services? (About 3 hrs from Melbourne). They are not about ripping money off you and the training standard is very high.

pxs939
21st Apr 2005, 23:37
I Recommend TVSA – Really high standard of training

Ash767
23rd Apr 2005, 15:08
Bini's is the go.

I did my IFR training with them. The most professional flying school I have ever come across. They are A+.

Regards
Ash:ok:

flightsimdriver
25th Apr 2005, 05:10
"pxs939 I Recommend TVSA – Really high standard of training "

Couldn't agree more......they definately helped me in aquiring the all important skills of working for free, mowing lawns, cleaning toilets and taking it from behind :rolleyes:

yowie
25th Apr 2005, 10:27
Have to go with PBAFT,did my IF there a few years back and they were excellent.Most of their instructors have real commercial experience and that can only be of advantage.:cool:

hughesyd
25th Apr 2005, 15:26
cheers for all you feedback guys