PDA

View Full Version : Irish in the RAF

ronnie3585
18th Apr 2005, 20:48
Does one have to be of British nationality to join the RAF?
Are there any dispensations for Irish people?
Thanks

ZH875
18th Apr 2005, 21:01
Tempting ......

18th Apr 2005, 21:06
Tempting

I know.....

At selection, would they have 3 spades lined up against the wall and ask them to take their pick? :D

Pub User
18th Apr 2005, 22:09
Ronnie

I know of an Irish bloke in the RAF, so it must be possible but I don't know the details.

Clearly you would be subjected to enhanced levels of banter, so if you can't take a joke - don't join.

Training Risky
18th Apr 2005, 22:23
There are to be sure, so there are.

Do you like dags?

Topsy Turvey
18th Apr 2005, 22:29
Ronnie

Irish Nationals can join the RAF, only difficulty used to be that the Irish government would not allow you to travel on an Irish passport when serving in the British armed forces, so you had to take out dual nationality and obtain a UK passport Not sure if this has changed with EU legislation.

MarkD
18th Apr 2005, 23:09
ronnie

plenty of paddies served with distinction, especially in WW2. Never heard of this passport thing but I never got further than applying for Glasgow UAS so I might not be the best authority.

Blacksheep
19th Apr 2005, 02:13
I was welcomed into the RAF despite not being a British Citizen or entitled to a British passport. Not Irish though, South African and still not a 'Commonwealth Citizen'...

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2005, 07:01
Transport Command's only VC was won by an Irishman - Flt Lt Lord from Dublin.

HM Forces used to be littered with lads from the South - perhaps the only reason there are less now is down to the econimic situation - the Irish economy has grown significantly in the last 15-20 years.

teeteringhead
19th Apr 2005, 09:31
Many from the Free State join UK services ..... the Irish Guards wouldn't manage without. Special rules I think, like being able to vote here.
Any reputable 118 number (oxymoron?) will give you the name of your nearest AFCO, which can supply the authoritative answer.

ORAC
19th Apr 2005, 09:44
Nationality

For most RAF jobs, you must have been a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland – or holder of dual British/other nationality – since birth.

For security reasons there are extra nationality requirements for some jobs. These requirements may change to reflect the international situation. You will find details of specific nationality requirements in each relevant job file.

For a few branches and trades, the nationality of your parents is also important. In exceptional circumstances, it is possible that some individuals who do not meet these requirements exactly could still be considered for service.

If you are unsure about your eligibility you can call the RAF enquiry line on 0845 605 5555 or contact an Armed Forces Careers Office for further information.

Residency

Candidates, whether or not they are of UK origin, should normally have resided in the UK for the 5 years immediately preceding their application. However, provided satisfactory enquiries can be made in your country of residence, we may be able to consider an application even if you have never lived in the UK.

An Teallach
19th Apr 2005, 10:51
If I remember rightly, you apply through AFCO Belfast.

ronnie3585
19th Apr 2005, 10:58
Thanks for that ORAC.
Much obliged

Pilgrim101
19th Apr 2005, 13:18
Airborne Artist

Did you mean to say ""econimic"" or did you coin a new phrase ?;) :E

How are the Jump arrangements going ? Good Luck !

Roland Pulfrew
19th Apr 2005, 13:23
Ronnie

Despite ORAC's last post I believe nationality requirements have now changed. You now have to be a British Passport holder/citizen to join the armed forces in some (if not all roles). If NI then OK, but if you are "Eirish" you may need to apply for dual nationality. I believe it has more to do with coalition operations than UK requirements. Many of our ops are now joint so you have to be able to meet the UK/US Eyes Only requirement, the US get very twitchy about RAF/RN/Army personnel who are not UK nationals. I suggest a phone call to OASC at RAF Cranwell, or any careers information office would be your best course of action.

airborne_artist
19th Apr 2005, 14:56
Did you mean to say ""econimic"" or did you coin a new phrase ?

Pilgrim - just finger trouble. Jump on course for 11/06.

buoy15
19th Apr 2005, 15:12
Often wondered why the Iirish (Eire) can vote in UK but I don't get a vote on Irish affairs in Ireland (north or south?)

Perhaps it's because they are entitled to UK benefits and I can't claim over there?

Any suggestions?

Love many, Trust a few, Always paddle your own canoe!!

ORAC
19th Apr 2005, 18:03
United Kingdom citizens already enjoy full voting rights in the Republic of Ireland (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm199900/cmhansrd/vo991215/debtext/91215-12.htm)

Flatus Veteranus
19th Apr 2005, 18:36
The highest ranking Irishman in the RAF that I have heard of was Air Marshal the Earl of Bandon, who was quite a legend. A bachelor but, I believe, well acqainted with the ladies.

The best known story was from when he was AOC 205 Group in the Suez Canal Zone in the 1950s. He held a brthday party in the Fayid Officers Club and invited reps from all the squadrons. A really wild hooley ensued in the upstairs bar overlooking L. Timsah. A guards regiment were having some sort of formal commemorative dinner in the dining room downstairs and their ritual was disturbed by the noise. An emissary was sent upstairs to quell the disturbance. The Guards officer, in all his mess kit finery, damanded to know who was the senior RAF present. A bedraggled figure without jacket or badges of rank, detached himself from the scrum on the floor, and replied to the guards officer:

"I am, I suppose, and who the hell are you?"

"I am Major the Honourable Blenkinsop-Braithwaite" (or somesuch)

" Well I am Air Marshal the Earl of Bandon, which has you f***ed on two counts. So pi$$ off!"

ChristopherRobin
19th Apr 2005, 18:43
<drops bacon sandwich>

the funniest one I've heard in a long while! thanks

dogstar2
19th Apr 2005, 19:07
So can you join the Irish forces if you have previously served in HM forces?

MarkD
19th Apr 2005, 20:38
Irish Dept of Env Voter Registration (http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/7b0f5af65995bd3980256f0f003bc80e/$FILE/areureg.doc)

To save you the trouble, here's the pertinent bits:

Your citizenship determines which elections you can vote at:-
(i) Irish citizens can vote in every election and referendum.
(ii) British citizens may vote at Dáil, European and local elections.
(iii) Other EU citizens may vote at European and local elections.
(iv) Non-EU citizens can vote at local elections only.

gravity victim
19th Apr 2005, 21:43
..and as they used to say over there, "Vote early. vote often."
(although might have to bin that joke following recent events in Birmingham :(

keeks
28th Apr 2005, 15:13
Hey Ronnie,

I'm from Co. Wicklow and am currently a student pilot on a University Air Squadron in England. Until recently citizens of the Republic of Ireland and the Commonwealth were eligible to join the RAF. That rule has now been changed. I was able to join because my dad is English which entitles me to British nationality.

If you are serious about the RAF then I would highly recommend getting yourself a British passport. It will make life much easier.

As for life on the squadron, its one of the best things I've ever done. I get a lot of banter but its all good natured and for the most part Irish people are well equipped to dispense abuse of their own.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.