PDA

View Full Version : When to use pitot heat ?

John Citizen
17th Apr 2005, 10:39
When are you supposed to use pitot/static heat ? or when do others use it ?

- always in IMC ?
- always. including day VMC ?
- always at night ?
- icing conditons only (your definition of it is) ?
- always above freezing level (including VMC) ?
- anytime in visible moisture (rain/cloud), even with high outside temperature (ie 25 C) ?
- anytime in visible mositure in temperatures below about +10C ?

I am interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Thanks.

EngineOut
17th Apr 2005, 10:59
I use it in visible moisture below 10 deg C below 10000ft, generally speaking always on above 10K, and on in heavy rain at any temperature.

That is just when I use it. My opinion as requested. Before other start telling me I'm wrong, as tends to happen on these forums.

Massey058
17th Apr 2005, 21:28
In both our Cherokee's and Senecas Pitot heat is seleceted on once takeoff clearance has been received on IFR flights

flyby_kiwi
17th Apr 2005, 23:55
Once lined\lining up. Stays on until taxiing clear of rwy after flight. Same too with strobes, mode C etc etc.

Capt Claret
18th Apr 2005, 00:24
Turned on in after start scans. And turned off in after landing scans.

In my whole flying career (20+ years) I've not expereinced a pitot heater failure.

I have however experienced iced up pitots as an F/O flying into cloud in a twin transport category tubo prop because the captain in his infinite wisdom didn't want to turn the heat on so as to prolong the life of said heater. Needless to say, when we flew into cloud at night, the heaters weren't on and the airspeed readings were, shall we say, erratic! :uhoh:

flying ginge
18th Apr 2005, 01:54
I'm with engine out. +10C and below with vis moisture present. Then I watch the turkey timer on the cockpit window to see if it's accumulating ice. Usually the first indicator for me.

DVDA
18th Apr 2005, 03:57
On line up clearance with strobes etc. Any earlier and ours get to hot.turn em off in after landing scan.

EngineOut
18th Apr 2005, 07:26
Capt Claret,

I don't know if I'm unlucky, but I have had 2 pitot heat failures, both worked during pre-flight, and broke sometime between when i next turned it on and when they was full of ice and airspeed (indicated) was decaying quite rapidly(an alarming site).

Luckily this particular aircraft had to pitot systems and 2 ASI, so I used the co-pilot's side for the remainder of the flight. The other one was in an older [read normal GA age] piston twin. This one didn't have 2 ASI's, so just had to use standard rates of descent and normal descent power settings to get back down below freezing safely. Not much fun.

Basically in turbo-props I have flown, as soon as you hit IMC, eyes flick to OAT gauge, if less than 10, all engine/prop anti-ice goes on, and pitot heat (that is just my method). Then you just keep an eye on the wings until you need to make the leading edge go bumpy to get rid of that ice!

Howard Hughes
18th Apr 2005, 23:09
I'm with Kiwi, from line up to vacating. I must say though that this is mandated in the POH of my aircraft.

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

v1rotate
20th Apr 2005, 08:30
On the Fokker F27:

Pitot Heat goes on during the After Start checks and off after landing during the scan. We've never had a pitot burn out during taxi even at Paris CDG with a 40 minute taxi and temperatures of 15 plus.

clear to land
20th Apr 2005, 14:11
From more than one manufacturers manual 'in visible moisture with OAT<10C. Having said that, most turbine aircraft I have flown have been 'ON' in After Start and 'OFF' in shutdown scans. Cheers:O

psycho joe
24th Apr 2005, 04:53
I agree entirely with the <10 deg AND vis moisture line of thought. Having said that I believe that pitot heat is anti-ice and not an anti rain/cloud device. I've flown in some pretty nasty down poors in northern Oz, PNG, Solomons etc and have never seen a pitot blocked by rain let alone cloud. Lastly I think leaving heat on when it's not necessary is just plain lazy.

TheOddOne
24th Apr 2005, 16:15
On some light a/c I've flown, I've seen up to 7 deg compass swing with pitot heat on/off. I believe compasses are swung with all services on, including pitot heat. Thus, even on a warm day VMC flight, I select pitot heat on to ensure compass is within card readings, THEN align DI with it as a part of the vital actions before t/o. This ensures minimum time on the ground with heat on, but aligned DI and compass within limits. Then, final cross-check of DI, compass and runway QDM once lined up and before rolling. This only takes a few seconds but all this drill was how I was taught it for the IMC rating years ago.

Standing by for more disagreement!!
The Odd One

Capt Claret
25th Apr 2005, 18:45
psycho

Perhaps you should write to Messers Boeing, Airbus, deHavilland, BAe et al, and tell them their procedures are "just plain lazy" ;)

psycho joe
26th Apr 2005, 02:34
Claret,

I most humbly apologise for not mentioning every specific aircraft type, nor every operational scenario however I was trying give an opinion without excessively pontificating.

Certainly when you line up in your McNorthrop Grummen Douglas you'll turn on a host of anti-ice protection.

The topic is Pitot/Static heat and is representive of a real conundrum at the GA end of the spectrum. I've seen quite a few pilots turn on pitot/static heat in an un-pressurised aircraft as a matter of routine and oblivious to the fact that they were in the tropics on a stinking ISA +50 day.

Quite a few pilots could be forgiven for thinking that pitot heat is there for rain/ cloud protection. Why else would light aircraft manufacturers put pitot/static heat in an aircraft that has no other anti-ice device? (eg Qiute a few singles and light twins).

My opinion is that in a nill icing cond aircraft, the pitot/ static heat is there to provide acurate ASI Whilst negotiating out of an inadvertant icing situation. em tasol

Capt Claret
26th Apr 2005, 06:37
psycho

Where do you go for an ISA +50 day? What aircraft are certified to ISA +50?

Finally, please note: ;), repeated for clarrification, ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

psycho joe
26th Apr 2005, 07:08
DEF'N: ISA +50 (colloquialism)

1. Hot, damn hot, f#%king bastard of a place hot.

2. A normal day in the Kimberley.