PDA

View Full Version : O2 cylinder

mainwheel
16th Apr 2005, 22:43
I hope this is the right forum to ask. Need some ejudication over a discussion that has come up at the coal face.

What are the IATA "packaging" requirements for a pressurised O2 bottle, say a normal crew size.

One side of the fence says a sticker, the other says it must be in a box of sorts.

Rollingthunder
17th Apr 2005, 01:17
Wooden case/box or hard plastic case + sticker.

mainwheel
17th Apr 2005, 16:00
Thanks, any reference.

Rollingthunder
17th Apr 2005, 16:16
Applicable reference is the IATA Dangerous Goods manual, which I don't have handy. Any freight forwarder will have copies and may let you have a look. A CD-ROM is available from IATA.

The DOT seems to be on the case as well:

Oxygen Cylinders Shipped by Air - HM-224B
The DOT/RSPA issued a notice of proposed rulemaking on May 6, 2004 that will dramatically increase the cost of shipping oxygen cylinders and other oxidizing gases and chemical oxygen generators. The RSPA Proposed requirement for an outer packaging would be required to prevent penetration of a flame of 1700°F for five minutes. Additionally the cylinder must remain below the temperature at which its pressure relief device would activate and a chemical oxygen generator inside the outer packaging can not actuate when exposed to a temperature of 400°F for three hours.
The outer packaging would be restricted to "rigid" outer packaging.

RSPA is also proposing the cylinders' pressure release device must have a set pressure equal to the test pressure for the cylinder. Authorized cylinders for oxygen will be limited to DOT specifications 3A, 3AA, 3AL, and 3HT. Other specification cylinders such as DOT 39 will not be permitted on board aircraft. Other oxidizing gases will be prohibited on board cargo and passenger aircraft.

The closing date for comments is December 13, 2004. You can download a copy of the proposed regulation at http://hazmat.dot.gov/69fr-47074.pdf

GotTheTshirt
17th Apr 2005, 17:22
Not sure why you would ship the cylinder pressurised :confused:

We always ship empty so have not had a problem.

Most place have O2 available - usually at a medical facility;)

Rollingthunder
17th Apr 2005, 17:33
When I was doing this, we were shipping station spares. Not all stations had the facility to re-fill O2 cyls and the logistics of having to send them out for filling plus certifying them as serviceable were not feasible. Main bases would handle the re-fill function, stations would get them shipped to them, often OPR or AOG.

Shipping is not onerous, just need the proper shipping container plus dangerous goods paperwork which after a while, I could fill out in my sleep.

Then there were the times we used to render T/X oxygen generators harmless by firing the cap and putting them in a fridge until they were expended.

mainwheel
18th Apr 2005, 12:31
RT, We've had a look in the DG manual and no mention of a box, except in the case of a cylinder below 1Kg.

Section 5.2.0 from memory.

I know it's standard practice to box the things, but is it an IATA requirement?.

OldCessna
20th Apr 2005, 00:31
Unless you are shipping inter-company you can forget shipping it with a common carrier in the USA.
No one will touch it pressurised.
Hard enough to ship empty!

Big liability repurcussions that scare airlines to death these days & with good cause considering past events!

Rollingthunder
20th Apr 2005, 01:33
I'll check the book next time I'm in the shipping dept. We always use boxes and cases, never seen one shipped by anyone without. How do you protect the valve and regulator without one? Cargo shifts and the valve gets knocked off and you have a missle in the hold. I've seen the results of a large O2 cyl at 2000psi that decided to play un-guided missle in the accessory shop. Not pretty.

mainwheel
24th Apr 2005, 16:11
Thanks to all.

Looks like a sticker is the only requirement.

Rollingthunder
27th Apr 2005, 06:16
No. I haven't been able to get to the hangar yet. We don't even move O2 cyls within the hangar without a protective container. I would be madness to ship them without one.