PDA

View Full Version : Alien Flight Student Programme

mach252
16th Apr 2005, 11:28
Can anyone offer some advice regarding the following:

I am planning on going to LA to do some hour building, I understand the visa requirements having spoken to the embassy and schools. However, when I went to book a place with the flying school that I wished to attend, I was also told that I must register with the 'Alien Flight Student Programme' (Transportation Security Administration) which requires finger prints, more forms and more waiting around. Is this normal practice if I am heading out there with an M1 Visa (I know I can enter under the visa waiver as I am hour building but I was hoping to get an additional rating), or is this because I hold an FAA license?

If anyone can clarify if this particular issue I would be grateful.

Thanks!

cfimei
16th Apr 2005, 22:17
If you are hour building then NO you do not need to register with the TSA. However you say you MIGHT get an additional rating added to your FAA license. In which case the answer would be YES you have to register but if I were you I'd ask the school to do this as a Category 4 student, i.e. one who is qualified and rated on the aircraft which you are going to fly. Cat 4 students do not have to go through all the fingerprinting rubbish. If your additional rating is an additional category or class rating i.e. helicopter or multi-engine - something you haven't flown before then you may have to go through as a Cat 3 student which will need fingerprints, etc. The school can and should assist you through this process.

youngskywalker
17th Apr 2005, 10:54
cfimei:

Is this correct? i didnt realise that, I have an FAA CPL MULTI, but as yet no Instrument rating. If I go out and do all my training on a twin for the IR does that mean no fingerprint stuff and paperwork?

Thanks

mach252
20th Apr 2005, 09:48
Thanks for that info, I contacted the TSA direct and they confirmed that if I was just flying recreationally then I did not need to register, but if I was planning any IR or Multi training then I would. If in doubt, contact them, they were very helpful. (00 1 703 542 1222) open 8am - 8pm Eastern seaboard time.

englishal
20th Apr 2005, 11:13
Tha basic rule is that if you're going to be flying with an examiner, he will need to see evidence of the TSA stuff.

Farrell
20th Apr 2005, 11:30
skywalker......

if you are adding a rating, you need to register. however, you only need to do this once and then you're on their books.

it really is no big deal.....apart from the 100 dollars or so which you pay online.

when i registered, i waited until i got to the US to get printed. but i did pay my fee in advance. the TSA communicate with you regularly by email during the process.

i was taken by my instructor to the local police station where a gorgeous policewoman took my prints......so gorgeous in fact that i was even thinking about trying to get arrested so that she could take them again! (women in uniform with guns........ooooooh matron!)

you have to pay 10 dollars at the station to have your prints taken by the way........but it's a great experience....just like getting 'booked'