inthesoup
15th Apr 2005, 19:40
Question is:
"When do you do Before Landing Checks and Finals Check"
during:

1) Non Precission Approach - Circling Approach

2) Non Precission Approach - Runway Alinged

3) Precission Approach

My thoughts from where i have been trained and where I work are slightly different. However I'm just curious on other people's idea's and thought's on the subject?

maxgrad
15th Apr 2005, 23:34
smarter minds than mine will probably answer this with much better skill.

Depending on the craft you are in and the establishment you "may" be working for

Generally, you will want to have your pre landing checks done prior to any approach, this lets you concentrate on the approach itself. Gear and flap selection depend again an a/c and company/training schedules. ILS you will generally have gear and first stage flap for the approach and at the minima and visual, select req flap for landing, at this stage finals checks generally done as well. RWY APPR, pretty much the same. NON prec app, can vary depending on factors stated.

Where I work, Prior the IAF, flaps to approach, pitch to 1900(climb setting), passing the initial approach alt gear down.

WHEN YOU HAVE AN ENGINE FAILURE, PERFORMANCE IS COMPROMISED. GET RID OF DRAG, again depending on a/c etc etc this might be flaps up(clean wing) or gear up. If it is gear up the fact that it is now up is a problem as you are trying to land (eventually, and hopefully off that approach), coping with an engine out situation is req. but that done and you flare to land with the resulting metal scaping sound is a bad thing.

hope that helped

One last thing, different a/c will require different techniques, different organisations use different techniques, most will get you on the ground and in the pub:ok: , others may see you not in the pub:sad:

Sqwark2004
16th Apr 2005, 08:15
Don't know bout everybody else but, where I work, the Pre-landings checks should be done either prior to 20nm from the intended aerodrome of landing or when passing 5,000ft. Both of these ensure the checks ar complete before things start getting too busy.

Finals/Landing checks are carried out after the second notch of flap has been selected (which is after the gear).

For a Non-Precision Approach, all checks MUST be completed and the aircraft MUST be stabilised on the approach by the FAP. If not - See ya later.

For a Precision Approach, it is common for us to be cleared to an altitude below the initial glidepath, from there we fly level (sometimes selected the first notch of flap, intercept the LLZ and Glidepath, then select gear and second notch of flap at the same time as tipping over to follow the glidepath.

Should an engine faliure be experienced in any of the above situations there are recommended procedures for what should be done, but ultimately it is up to the PIC to take whatever actions they deem necessary to avoid danger.

Hope all that makes sense.

S2K4 eva

inthesoup
19th Apr 2005, 07:13
Thanks for your replies.

Maybe should have used a scenario for better clarification

For example:

Destination aerodrome requires an alternate due cloud below Alternate Minima
Has a published ILS with minima at 260’
PEC of 50’ is req, so DA is 310’
Aircraft light twin Cat B
Required navaids working to conduct the ILS

Destination ATIS

……..
CLOUD: BKN 500’
VISIBILITY: 3000mtrs RAIN
……..

Currently at the Outer Marker, doing 110-120 kts, undercarriage down flaps first stage Alt check completed no discrepancies.

When do you start to slow the aircraft down to approach speed for landing and conduct final checks

OR

Continue the approach in the current configuration and assume worst-case scenario for missed approach.

The reason for the clarification is during my training whilst conducting the ILS I always maintained the approach config (first stage flaps 2400rpm) until the Miss. App Point then go around.
Then when I do the landing following the ILS approach I’m bit behind the aircraft with regards to speed reducing it to Vref and always land long. (Though no probs with 3km rwy)

swh
19th Apr 2005, 08:55
Continue the approach in the current configuration and assume worst-case scenario for missed approach.

Yes, and just accept a lower flap setting, higher speed, and longer landing distance IF you get visual and land.

Mentally always brief yourself for the missed approach and engine failure.