PDA

View Full Version : (Scottish) daily mail today

one-punch-mickey
15th Apr 2005, 15:38
Anyone seen the interesting article in the Scottish Daily Mail today regarding an internet smear campaign between two rival schools at CBN? Not sure what to make of that.:confused:

Say again s l o w l y
15th Apr 2005, 16:17
Oh dear, what have the Kid's been up to now? It isn't really a ringing endorsement of either place when this sort of childish nonsense goes on. Has anyone got a link?

one-punch-mickey
15th Apr 2005, 17:16
No I'm afraid I don't know how to post a link. The bare bones of the story from what I can gather is that flt academy scotland have been involved in some sort of smear campaign against another operator on an airport website.

I'm sure somebody might be able to shed light on this, probably just some more crap from journalists mind you.

deltamike02
15th Apr 2005, 20:18
An interesting article.

Even more interesting to note that a few pages further on in the paper there is a reasonable sized, and I am sure fairly expensive, advert for Cumbernauld Flying School.

I wonder if this affected the bias of the article?;)

one-punch-mickey
16th Apr 2005, 15:29
I will now provide a copy of the appalling article which I think will show FAS in their true colours!....Please judge for yourselves!

"There's anger in the air at a small Scots airport after the owner of a flying school was accused of running a 'smear campaign' against a rival company. Bosses at Cumbernauld Flying School were stunned when a website claiming to be the official site of the airport where they are based labelled them 'old hat' and gave the company 'two out of ten'. But when officials at Cumbernauld Airport, Dunbartonshire, denied even having an internet page, it emerged the offending article had actually been posted by the owner of a rival firm.

Ian Vaughan (PPRUNE-VAUGHAN), of Flight Academy Scotland, which also uses the airfield, admitted setting up the fake site. The two companies train flying students to be professional pilots using Diamond Katana DA20 aircrafts.

Last night, Cumbernauld Flying School boss Ted Veitch claimed his rival's action was just the latest in a long line of incidents which have led him to believe his firm was being 'got at'. He said: 'There is, of course, in the minds of the British public the tradition of standing up for the underdog'. 'Because we have been in business here for nearly six years we have let the new companies have a fair crack at the whip. 'However, we are now in a position where we constantly have a niggling feeling that something is wrong'.................'If Mr Vaughan is so intent on destroying this business, why doesn't he just come in and make an offer to buy me out?'

Mr Vaughan yesterday admitted that he had made the comments on the website-but remained unrepentant. He said: 'It is my opinion that Cumbernauld Flying School is old hat, but I will change what I have written. I will give them ONE out of ten instead. 'I have taken flying lessons at Cumbernauld Flying School myself so I certainly know what I am talking about'. Mr Vaughan later placed a statement on the website indicating the views expressed there were his own and not those of Cumbernauld Airport. A FAS insider said: Ian set the website up off his own back and nobody knew anything about it. ' He is the boss at the end of the day but this sort of thing just gives flying schools a bad name'.

Cumbernauld Aiport operrations manager John McGough yesterday confirmed the airfield did not have a website.

silverknapper
16th Apr 2005, 16:17
Nothing surprises me about FAS. They are truly a disgrace to aviation. But every time someone dares say a bad word about them they start bleating about how it's not fair. Is this sort of thing fair Smartcol? Also why was the last thread pulled about them here?

Say again s l o w l y
16th Apr 2005, 17:31
I finally saw the article today and I have to say I'm pretty disgusted by it all.
This sort of petty minded guff does nobody any good and doesn't really give the impression of any professionalism.

I feel sorry for Colin and Ollie in this case, since I'll bet they had nothing to with any of it and yet their picture was used in the article.

On a professional note, I'd just like to make it clear as the CFI of Leading Edge Flight Training (the 3rd school/club at Cumbernauld) that any of the mud-flinging that is going on between CFS and FAS is being completely ignored by us and that we don't want to be involved in it to any extent. We are remaining totally neutral.

I'd hate to think that everyone at Cumbernauld could get tarred by the same brush.

silverknapper
16th Apr 2005, 18:55
The guy is a joke

Blackshift
17th Apr 2005, 05:35
A FAS insider said: Ian set the website up off his own back and nobody knew anything about it. ' He is the boss at the end of the day but this sort of thing just gives flying schools a bad name'.

....therefore like much of the most offensive material in the recently removed thread, most of this has NOTHING to do with instructors.

Thirty06
17th Apr 2005, 17:08
That is one lame web page.

http://www.cumbernauld-flying-school.com/

It also looks like a case of 'passing off', which might well be actionable.

The link lower down seems to be a circular reference designed to annoy people.

gerry p
17th Apr 2005, 17:47
I particularly like the way the page counter"works"
Try View/source.

Floppy Link
17th Apr 2005, 18:56
Wise man says:

"There are two ways to have the biggest building in town...right way is to work at making your own building taller, wrong way is to tear down everybody else's building. "

Discuss...
:(

sk8erboi
17th Apr 2005, 22:51
Its all a bit of a joke. the bloke uses prune to advertise, then withdraws when it backfires. The instructors do the same.
We await your comments now Vaughan......are you man enough to comment?
We await your response. Given you aren't normally shy of using here then I assume we won't wait long.

buster172
18th Apr 2005, 18:27
Having just caught bits and pieces about FAS over the last few weeks have they taken over the flying club at Aberdeen or not?

I hear talk of lots of money but no post that says, yes, Aberdeen flying club now belongs, and will turn into FAS?

As a pilot and customer at Aberdeen, although not for a while I have been pretty shocked by the way posts have developed on PPrune regarding FAS and I certainly hope that if true, they do not take over.

AFC is a great school with established pilots and a welcoming atmosphere, perfect for popping in for a chat and a coffee. There’s no pretence, it’s just down to earth with some great instructors.

I followed the link to the hastily constructed website, if you can call it that, and to actually rate your opposition’s schools is quite unbelievable. It's very sad.

It also reflects very badly on the school. Why? Well hear I am, with out all the details forming a very bad impression of a new school, will I be the only one? No way!

I’m not sure there’s a market for a yuppie school here and certainly not one that uses underhand tactics to promote itself. Would I want to give money to a school like this?

No way!

buster172
18th Apr 2005, 19:18
Is it though? that was my question. I have not said that it is.

one-punch-mickey
18th Apr 2005, 20:15
I'm afraid so, I'm informed it is about 99% complete, maybe even 100% by the time this goes to print!

You never know, maybe they will do a good job........:rolleyes:

sk8erboi
18th Apr 2005, 21:35
Not likely though. Still waiting on a response from Vaughan. Maybe too much of a coward to face criticism head on.

Blackshift
20th Apr 2005, 07:10
(1)WHAAAT is your name?

(2)WHAAAT is your quest?

(3)WHAAAT is the capital of Tajikistan?

Please check your PM's for some REAL questions...;)

silverknapper
20th Apr 2005, 11:45
More weird goings on - where has the guy gone who was posting here from FAS?

Blackshift
20th Apr 2005, 12:42
opm,

I take it that's not addressed to me, in the same way that my questions are not addressed to sk8ey...

Looks like the frog has croaked.