PDA

View Full Version : buying a turbine endorsement??

concrete wings
15th Apr 2005, 02:14
Hello all.

1/ I am nearly at 1500/500hr and wondering what is more wide spread or benificial to do an endorsement on if I have no joy with jobs apps. I will be looking at either a metro or PT6, any thoughts are welcome.

2/ What is the industry view on paying 13-18k for an endorsement on something with a prop when Virgin are chargeing approx 20k for a jet sticker in the log book??

CW

Sqwark2004
15th Apr 2005, 09:59
Hey Concrete Wings,

If it makes you feel any better I had over 2500/1500 with 875 night before I got a start with the regionals. With the way things are going at the moment, I believe it would be an unwise decision for a person with your sort of hours to go buying a turbo-prop endo. If you're going to spend the $, you might as well go for the jet sticker.

Saying that, I know of a lot of people out there that will be extremely PI$$ED if you were to pay for a rating just to get a job when they are trying to stop that sort of behaviour and thereby let all of us be on the same playing field.

Anyway, whatever you choose I'm sure will be the right idea.

Why not just pay for a Dash 8 rating. I hear they are very popular machines in Oz at the moment.

S2K4eva

Chilli Tarts
19th Apr 2005, 08:09
Well that’s the million dollar question! Do what you feel is best for you.

I once was in a similar position to yourself with 1500/700, i obtained a Metro endorsement and it definitely opened doors for myself. I went straight into casual CMD Metro flying and soon after that had interviews with a large regional with 1800/1000.

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on this issue, simply way up all your options and select the one which is best suited to your self.

Taggert
21st Apr 2005, 04:38
Sqwark 2004 bring's up a good point about Dash 8 rating. If your inclined to go the way of any of the Qantas's Regional's you'll need to be prepared to pay for this anyway. If you've got it, it may make there decision to interview you a little easier. That being said you'll still have to content with Stage 1 testing.

A farely advanced machine if it's your first turbine though. Metro, King Air or Conquest might be a bit more appropriate.

Think you'll also find that a jet endo of the calibre of the 737 will cost a bit more than 20g's these days.

Taggert