PDA

View Full Version : Marketing an audio file securely.

Paterbrat
14th Apr 2005, 15:08
As a barely computer literate user I have observed the usefullness of turning to the contributors of this site with a problem. I have a product which I wish to sell on the web. It will be contained in an audio file. I was considering selling it through e-bay however that was simply a thought. Is there a safe secure way to compress and send such files to prospective customers?
Any suggestions gratefully recieved.

HelenD
14th Apr 2005, 17:24
I would suggest using a utility like winzip as follows:
Create a new Zip file
Add the items you need to protect to the file
Select the encrypt option and supply and confirm a password.
The longer and more momplex a password you use the more secure the encrypted files will be. You should send the password seperate from the file to reduce the risk of problems if the zip file falls in to the wrong hands.
This is only one possible solution and it wont stop anyone you sell to from decrypting the file and giving copies to their mates.

IO540
16th Apr 2005, 07:57
ZIP encryption is very insecure and there are utilities that crack it quickly.

I'd use something else.

But fundamentally this problem can't be solved without a secure download target (one that has a tamperproof and unique identity number).

It is like the distribution of aviation GPS databases: to prevent sharing, Honeywell lock the downloaded data to the serial number of the actual GPS, and charge a lot of money for the CF cartridges if you buy them physically.

WG774
16th Apr 2005, 14:57
Forgive me if I'm missing the point here (you did say distribution rather than long-term control so I may well be), but surely it only takes one legitimate user to share the file and everyone can get it for free? Not sure how much use passwords will be in this scenario.

"Watermarking" in the music industry is a closely guarded secret, there are various means of achieving the aim, and once a relatively successful method is found companies are notoriously reluctant to discuss it for obvious reasons. Obviously the technique won't stop people distributing the file, but at least you'll be able to trace who leaked it...

Whether you want to go through the aggro of watermarking would depend on how commercially viable your product is long-term. There are "semi pro" packages available for the purpose of watermarking, but the more sophisticated models will cost you, and probably require you to send the files to them to be watermarked, with only the company knowing where and how to find said mark.

Let me know if WM techniques are of interest, and I can direct you to forums on the 'web where Mastering Engineers can direct you to the relevant firms.

Cheers!

Paterbrat
16th Apr 2005, 20:42
Thank you for the info. It appears that the zip and encrypted code word may well be the one. The item is only about seven quid so obviously will probably be copied and distributed which is unfortunate. One product will be the written version, the second the sound file of the written version. Both obviously vulnerable.
The data bases of Jeps and suchlike are obviously much more vluable and therefore protected with keys etc. I know for instance our FlightStar flight planning program was one such and were the computer data bases for our FMS programs.
I am at the moment simply toying with the idea of distribution through the internet as opposed to publication and hard copy.