PDA

View Full Version : Notebook/Desktop

boeingbus2002
13th Apr 2005, 21:55
Im looking into upgrading and getting a new computer, however slightly leaning towards the idea of a notebook. (The obvious benefits of portability and space saving being the main factors).
Is there anything I should be aware of?
Centrino is ready for wireless at bband speeds with a wireless router, but those without i assume you need a wireless adaptor and the router?

HughMartin
14th Apr 2005, 04:31
Portables are great but there are some down sides.

1. Keyboards are never as good as those on a desktop.
2. If you spill coffee on it you are in deep trouble.
3. Desktops easier and cheaper to repair.
4. On a desktop If you don't like the keyboard or screen, just change them
5. Expanding/upgrading portables not so easy
5. Portables more prone to damage & theft.
6. Working on a long project on a desktop is easier than on a portable.

My advice is keep your desktop but buy a laptop with integrated WiFi. Integrated WiFi has better range than using a WiFi card in my experience. Get a Wireless modem/router but use a cable to connect it to your desktop. You will then be able to access all your desktop files from your portable.

BEagle
14th Apr 2005, 06:24
Wel, I've used Dell Latitudes since 1999 and prefer them to a desktop.

Some 'notebooks' are far too heavy to be used as laptops; however, don't forget that you can have a docking station with keyboard, mouse etc or use a wireless/USB keyboard and mouse if you prefer. I deliberately went for non-integrated CD-ROM or floppy drives to keep the weight down; the 'media base' is just clicked onto my Latitude x200 if I need to use a CD-ROM or floppy as normally I transfer dta using a USB stick.

My Latitude LT was too fragile really - the design of the power connector was very prone to damage in particular. I had a battle royal with Dell when one of their repairers destroyed the computer and received a brand new Latitude D400 with Office 2003 plus external CD-ROM drive and external floppy drive in compensation. It is now my back up as I use the excellent x200 for day-to-day use connected via WiFi to broadband. It has been 100% reliable; I managed to drive over it when my briefcase fell over as I was getting the car out of the garage but Dell had it fully repaired, fitted a new screen, checked it out fully and had it back to me within a couple of days all under warranty.

I would agree that a wireless-enabled laptop plus wireless modem/router linked by cable to your desktop would probably be your best option.

If you do buy a notebook, make sure you have a good warranty!

Conan the Librarian
15th Apr 2005, 15:28
Easy for me to speak as I seem to be surrounded by computers of both ilks. At heart I am still a desktop man, for reasons of upgradeability and maintenance and ultimate performance. The Laptop I have is powerful, sexy and discrete - but it doesn't like living away from the mains for long. Wireless all built in and with a wireless network at home, you are free to squint at your laptop in the garden, though if you do leave it out on your patio, then a word of advice might be that the keyboard and birdsh@t do not co exist well.

Some uses give a clear lead to the best type of machine. I for instance use Graphics progs a lot and with colour calibration, and a hefty RAM appetite, make a desktop (and a good one) a marked advantage to me. For surfing, Ppruning and general day to day usage, laptops are a powerful and nowadays sophisticated solution (Sorry - Buzzword alert!) Maybe a thought is to have a good think about what you really want from it and then repost. Such a post might then offer clearer and more definite advantages one way or the other.

There are bargains in both types - so prepare for some reading up - and don't trust the whitesock in your local (fill in store name here) who is probably only interested in ripping an extended warranty out of you. Their technical knowledge is too often, a great less than optimum.

Happy hunting :-)

Keef
16th Apr 2005, 01:05
I get about a fair bit, and the laptop I bought (an IBM Thinkpad) has been brilliant. I can use it wherever I am; I have a docking station for it and use a "proper" keyboard, monitor, and mouse at our "second home". It networks to the main desktop when I'm here, and keeping the two synchronised is easy. I can (but don't often) use it as a remote desktop to the main machine.

I carry a small USB optical wheel mouse (cost me about a fiver) - that's so much better than the silly device on the laptop, and very practical when out and about.

If I were starting again, I would buy a top-of-the range laptop and two docking stations. The old desktop would be relegated to "backup and fileserver" in case the laptop got stolen or died.

I bought a high-spec Packard-Bell laptop for my daughter a year or so ago - with the long extended warranty. It died last month, and PC World agreed to fix or replace in accordance with the warranty - they've had it well over a week, and we've heard nothing from them. So, avoid Packard Bell and PC World!

boeingbus2002
7th May 2005, 23:17
Ive read an earlier post about the quality of Aldi desktops, they have a laptop on sale next week. So far it seems very good, any thoughts from the experts?

Intel® CentrinoTM Mobile Technology Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 Processor speed 1.73GHz

533MHz FrontSideBus
2MB L2 cache
90nm
Intel® PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG
Intel® Chipset 915PM
nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 with 128MB DDR3 PCI-Express

nVIDIA® GeForceTM Go 6600 is the superior notebook GPU with hardware acceleration for Microsoft DirectX 9.0. Shader Model 3.0, powering higher performance and extraordinary visual effects on today's hottest games.

15.4" WXGA Display 16:10 Widescreen

Resolution up to 1280 x 800 pixels

Multi Format DVD Burner 8xDVD±R/RW Double Layer^

For watching and burning DVDs/CDs. Write speed: 8xDVD+R/8xDVD-R/ 4xDVD+RW/4xDVD-RW/5xDVD-RAM/2, 4xDVD+R DL/24xCD-R/10xCD-RW, Read speed: 8xDVD/24xCD.

1024 MB DDR 2 RAM 533MHz

Fastest laptop memory currently available on the market. Up to 30% faster than DDR 1-400, 2 sockets.

Fast 100GB Hard Disk Drive

With 5,400rpm. Made by Seagate.

Digital TV Tuner***

Discover the new digital television of the future with first class image and sound quality. Future proof.

Analogue Stereo TV

Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card. Watch and record TV on your laptop! With Power Cinema and the built-in analogue/digital stereo TV and FM tuner, you can watch and record TV programs right on your laptop! The included IR remote control works with the TV, DVD, CD, radio and digital photo functions of the Power Cinema software.

Intel®PRO/Wireless LAN 2915ABG

The notebook can be linked to a wireless LAN network or in an ad hoc mode, with another wireless LAN compatible notebook. Integrated wireless LAN enables this notebook to be linked to a wireless network i.e. hotspots.

5 in 1 Card Reader

Supports Memory Stick, Smart Media Card, MultiMedia Card, Secure Digital and XD Card.

Soundsystem

High definition audio system, SB-Pro-compatible +AC 97 CODEC, 2 internal speakers, internal microphone.

Bluetooth Mini USB Adaptor Class 1

Up to 100m indoor and outdoor.

High Speed Interfaces

4 x USB 2.0, 1 x Firewire IEEE1394.

Audio & Video Interfaces

Analog and digital audio-out, Mic-In, VGA-Out, TV-Out (S-Video).

1x PCMCIA Type II Card Bus supported Modem and LAN

56k V.90/V.92 modem and fast ethernet 10/100/1000 Mbit LAN (includes telephone cable).

Battery: Smart LI-ION Battery

8 cells, 4400mAh, Runtime: up to 4h. Charging time: approx. 2.5hr (power off)/ approx 3.5hr (power on).

Dimensions & Weight: 363(W) x 366(D) x 34.2(H)mm, approx 2.75kg.

Huge Software Package!**

Microsoft® Windows®XP Home SP2, Microsoft® Works Suite 2005, Microsoft® Flight Simulator 2004, Cyberlink DVD Solution (PowerStarter, PowerDVD, PowerProducer, PowerDirector, Power2Go, PowerDVD Copy, PowerBackup, PhotoNow!, MediaShow), Cyberlink Power Cinema 4.0, Skype Software incl. Headset and 120 minutes free telephony, Wanadoo Preload

All for £999 inc VAT!
Too good to be true???

pilotwolf
8th May 2005, 08:02
I would say avoid Seimens like the plague!

I have a Amilo and it has recently been away for it's 2nd warranty repair in 8 months and came back with the same fault only worse and the case not properly fixed back together with a screw missing too!

Also the internal battery has failed and they re only warrantied for 6 months = £100 + for replacement.

The case paintwork has worn away on the surface where you wrist rests and the screen hinge is loose.

This machine is used mostly at home and treated well.

PW

HughMartin
8th May 2005, 21:17
Hi boeingbus2002,

I bought a Gericom laptop last August from Aldi and am more than pleased with it. It looks like the new one has even more bells and whistles on it. Good value if you want them all but do you really want to watch TV on your laptop? You can get a more basic machine elsewhere with all the essentials for much less money.

Don't rely on their quoted battery life which is at "optimum" conditions (ie not doing anything). Mine will last a couple of hours at most with the wireless switched on. Don't know what after sales service is like as I haven't had to use it.