PDA

View Full Version : VideoPlus recording: DVD Recorder

BOAC
13th Apr 2005, 21:48
Up to now, on my old VCR, VideoPlus/PDC has worked fine. I now find on the new DVD recorder that it starts a moment or two late and finishes a few seconds early.

Machine is a JVC DRM20H with hard drive. Clock set correctly.

Anyone else experienced this - and if so, is there a cure?

BLUE SKY THINKER
13th Apr 2005, 22:14
BOAC.....

I stand to be corrected, but I think you may find it is a common problem; it certainly is with my Philips DVD Recorder to the extent I have reverted to manual recording.

There appears to be a considerable difference between video and DVD in the amount of time it takes to get into actual recording 'go' mode. Just take a look sometime at what happens at the allotted start time. Mine makes a bit of a palaver just getting itself switched on, with much whirring and flashing. Then the DVD has got to get itself up to the correct spinning speed at which point it seems to want to read it first before even thinking about recording. No wonder the programme is half over before it starts! It seems to need to do all this in reverse to switch itself off at the designated time, thus invariably missing the end.

I realise you are recording onto HD, but similar principle presumably.

Quite why the technology can't cope with building in a couple of minutes at each end automatically to cope with these foibles, I don't know.

BOAC
14th Apr 2005, 07:09
Ta BST - that is the way I am thinking I will have to go! Technology!!!:confused:

spekesoftly
14th Apr 2005, 08:48
I find PDC a bit 'iffy', even on VCRs. Prefer the old -5/+10 routine - ah! sounds familiar? ;)

Finding a vacant 'slot' to subsequently watch the recording is a bigger problem! :eek:

Keef
14th Apr 2005, 18:42
Gave up on videoplus and PDC - SWMBO missed far too many "important" programmes.
-5 +10 seems to have fixed all that - except when the programmes are back-to-back on different channels, and even that works OK if videoplus isn't used.

BOAC
14th Apr 2005, 22:09
It is SWMBO who is driving this enquiry too! I guess it is back to the old -5/+10 as said.:(

Thanks all for sharing the bad news!

BEagle
15th Apr 2005, 17:47
I find it easiest to enter the programme using Videoplus+, then adjust the start and stop times manually.

TheOddOne
15th Apr 2005, 19:05
Nice one BEagle, wish I'd thought of that!!!

BTW, how do I get hold of Videoplus+ numbers more than a week or so ahead?

We went away over Easter and I c*cked up setting something outside the dates of our guide. Is there anything on the net giving advance programing details?

Cheers,
TheOddOne