PDA

View Full Version : Can't Update My AVG Anti Virus

Sky_Captain
13th Apr 2005, 11:39
Does anybody have any ideas about this. The last time I updated my AVG definitions, it worked fine. I restarted the computer as it asked, but the symbol displayed at the bottom of the screen stayed grey instead of going into full colour. When I opened the programme it said that the internal database and update manager were out of date.

Its been like this for 3 weeks now, and every time I try to update either one, it starts then immediately stops and tells me the update was unsucessfull.

Any Help here would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

S.C. :ok:

mikedurward
13th Apr 2005, 12:03
Hiya SC,

If I were you I would uninstall and try a re install.

Mike

rotorcraig
13th Apr 2005, 18:19
Did you upgrade to AVG 7 earlier in the year?

Just wondering whether you are still on AVG 6 and Grisoft are no longer supplying updates for that version?

If so then uninstall 6 and reinstall 7 and you should be fine.

RC

SQUAWKIDENT
15th Apr 2005, 15:01
I used to use AVG on our networked machines at home but since being unable to update I removed it (took hours!) and installed F-Secure (with six months free usage). F-Secure found FOUR virus/torjans that AVG never noticed so I would recommend you ditch AVG and get something better!

http://www.f-secure.com/

Cheers

Adam

Keef
17th Apr 2005, 12:36
I thought, based on that recommendation, that I'd try F-secure. I downloaded all 50-something MB of the trial version.

It then told me I had to REMOVE my firewall (ZoneAlarm) - not just give it permission to access the Internet through ZA.

Blow that! ZoneAlarm has stopped enough nasties in its time that it stays.

End of test, before we even got to try it.

I'm still happy with AVG - it coexists with ZA and does a fine job of stopping nasties.

BlueEagle
17th Apr 2005, 22:58
If I have understood it correctly AVG stopped giving FREE updates on the 30th January 2005. That is what happened to my neighbour anyway, so we downloaded 7.0, paid for a two year update subscription and all is back to normal.

Keef
17th Apr 2005, 23:11
No, AVG free is still alive and well. The "engine" changed early this year, but the new version is still free. Very good it is, too. It's still catching nasties and putting them into its virus vault.

rotorcraig
18th Apr 2005, 01:43
Keef is correct; AVG 6 Free Edition "expired" earlier in the year and can no longer be updated, but there is an AVG 7 Free Edition to replace it.

RC

Sky_Captain
18th Apr 2005, 01:48
Well Keef, i'd love a copy of the version your using, because my Version 7 still won't update. So I uninstalled it, and downloaded the latest version, and same thing happened. It constantly asked me to re-start the computer to allow the updates to take effect. Well after 3 re-starts and still asking me to re-start I opted for the 're-start later'. Now, with the most up to date installed it still won't update, and i'm still getting that little grey symbol :*

I'm thinking i'll actually spend the money and get back Norton :oh:
Although keef I will agree with you about Zone Alarm, its a great programme, and has caught over two thousand intrusions on my system, the last thing I want (no offence squawkident) is something that will tell me to remove Zone Alarm.

So whats the general feeling here, spend 40 quid on Norton or Symantec, or go with the free-be thats causing problems :confused:

I anxtiously await your answers folks.

Regards,

S.C. :ok:

Keef
19th Apr 2005, 12:57
An obvious question, but is ZoneAlarm set to allow the AVG updater through? It's a dead giveaway if you look in the ZA programs list - you should see "AVG Update downloader" with ticks in the first two boxes.

19th Apr 2005, 21:36
I used AVG for about a year but switched to Avast recently. Works much better IMHO.

stagger
20th Apr 2005, 00:57
I have found that the AVG updates can sometimes stall - presumably network congestion.

Only solution I've found is to keep trying.

Alternatively, you can manually download update files from Grisoft....

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/72/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Then you just need to tell AVG to look in the folder where you save them rather than use the internet for updates.