PDA

View Full Version : Duxford Airshow

nosefirsteverytime
12th Apr 2005, 14:38
Who's going?

I might be finding my way out that direction with a few like-minded individuals (More WWII fans than avvy, but I'm not whinging) who are flying out and back on the same day by Ryanbare *yeuch*.

I hate selling out, but my principles will just have to be put aside while I drool over those mu......mu....merrrrlinnnnnnsssssss

Boeing737
12th Apr 2005, 16:05
cen sceal?although im not going out this year, ive been out there twice before and may i say its absolutely class!!!is this your first time going?you will not be disappointed!
Where are you flying into with the ryans?Have you already booked accomodation?we ended up in cambrige or cambrigeshire cant remember but there was some festival on and it was tought to get accomodation.so i recommend you get sorted with that.

last time i was there they had a b-17 flying, the one from the memphis belle film :ok: and to my suprise it was painted in two different schemes, the LHS was different to the RHS, it saved them using two different b-17s in the film!very clever! :}
have a good time either way!

MKDC8
13th Apr 2005, 09:19
Guys, if you are looking at going to the Flying Legends Airshow in July, you had better get accomadation sorted out quick. Many of the B&B's in close proximity to Duxford tend to get booked up very quick. There are a few pubs in the local vicinity that also offer B&B's, but most likely you will haveto go either into cambridge(main line train station access at Whittlesford[approx 1 x mile from Duxford] and get a room or so in there.

Many pilots for the Airshow are booked in local places, which tends to push others out furthur afield.

The Airshow is awesome !!!

Enjoy !!::D

dwshimoda
13th Apr 2005, 09:55
Does anyone know if you can fly in on the day? I've heard the traffic is really bad and wouldn't dropping in - if they don't mind having a 40 year old Cessna 150 spoiling the flight line!!!

nosefirsteverytime
13th Apr 2005, 11:42
Early morning flight out, bus to show from stansted, bus back, flight home late evening. At least that's the plan. I was told there was free buses out to the show and back from Stansted.

treadigraph
13th Apr 2005, 11:52
dw, there are usually plenty of visitors parked on the far side, and a courtesy bus to bring you round to the musuem - I think you need to book a landing slot time... suggest you check IWM's website, or the AvMag calendars for details.

Cheers

Treadders

Kestrel_909
14th Apr 2005, 20:44
Hello,

I'll be spending the weekend at Duxford on 25/26th June, staying at the Red Lion and visiting the museum on the Saturday and then have Saturday evening and Sunday free with friends.

Any suggestions what to do on the Saturday night and Sunday in the area?

Thanks

Rainboe
14th Apr 2005, 22:31
I'd have thought 'Airshow, lap dancing club, lots of curry, and ice cold lager'. Get what you can of that in Cambridgeshire and you will have a lovely weekend.

Noah Zark.
18th Apr 2005, 21:55
We flew into Duxford on Sunday (17th Apr.) It was absolutely ace! Being able to have a good shufti at the aircraft there, and the work being done on them is exemplary.
But, two caveats. First, the guy who was manning Duxford Info as we approached and landed was a stickler for attention to detail, you have to follow his every command (!). The guy who landed before us really got his ar$e chewed off for a tiny error, nothing at all dangerous or even illegal.
Then we got a flea in our ear, for a similar indiscretion. It wasn't busy, we were the only two a/c in the circuit at the time.
Then, after we had spent several very pleasant hours looking round, we got back aboard our aircraft, and turned on the radio just in time to hear some other poor wretch getting an ear-bender. We began to wonder if it was some kind of tradition!
Second, the food was not very good at all. It might have been a bad day, or whatever, but it was definitely worth leaving!

Wycombe
20th Apr 2005, 11:54
Denied a slot for our PA28 for one of the Duxford Shows a few years back, we landed at Fowlmere (about 800m of smooth grass IIRC) instead and walked. It's about 4 miles.

ManfredvonRichthofen
20th Apr 2005, 12:09
As a matter of interest what happens if you tell an arsey controller exactly where to go ?

nearly done it once, but managed to hold my tongue.

Obviously it is an entirely moronic thing to do, but just wondering what the comeback would actually be...

Noah Zark.
20th Apr 2005, 20:21
Manfred,
What happens if you tell an arsey controller exactly where to go
If they were anything like the one we encountered, they would in all probability slosh you with their handbag! :D

dwshimoda
26th Apr 2005, 11:23
Now I know it's not sporting, but it's Duxford Information - therefore he's not a controller, so in theory you can pretty much do as you like (within the rules of the ANO obviously) so next time why don't you put in a low pass across the tower and thank him for his help ;)