PDA

View Full Version : Weekend away- Where to??

propelled
12th Apr 2005, 09:57
Hi, 1st time poster here so not sure if i'm posting in the right spot... anyway,

I'm a relatively new pilot who hasn't really nav'd anywhere since getting my PPL- i'm from syd, 23yo.
Basically thinkin of takin some mates away for a couple of days to sink some cans etc.

Just wondering on some ideas on where to fly to (within approx. 2hrs each way of bk) where the strip is fairly close to town and there is a bit of nightlife .. ideas so far are coffs, port, canberra..??

And coz i've never refuelled away from home, is it relatively easy to do at other aerodromes? and should i call the numbers listed in ERSA for fuel b4 i leave, or do u just rock up at the pump??

Thanks - and hope i put this question in the right spot...

Ultralights
12th Apr 2005, 10:05
.new pilot who hasn't really nav'd anywhere since getting my PPL-
I would do a few shorter navs with your friends first, maybee to Mudgee, or the hunter region, as taking mates on your first real nav will be very distracting! not a good thing while trying to build confidence! plenty of wineries up that way worth looking at. i think some actually have their own airstrips.

Port is an interesting place to go, and relativly good night life. Coffs is good also. also Morouya on the south coast. though the night life there well, is umm....

Or look for a B&S somewhere out west! good fun, free booze! very easy woman! (condoms included in price, as well as food and Booze) just remember to ware a flano and akubra! usually you will find em at Condobolin, dubbo, Parkes, central NSW. and also a good 2 hr flight away.

oce you get a bit more experience, you can do navs to Surfers with your mates! always a good weekend there!

as for refuelling, no different from filling your car and using your eftpos card in the bowser. except that you obviously need to earth first.

walk up to pump, connect earth to earth point on aircraft, swipe card put in PIN number!
, pump will tell you too take fuel. drag out fuel hose, and filler up!
when you return the nozzel, the pump will spit out a receipt! , remove earth

EPIRB
12th Apr 2005, 10:40
Mallacoota is good if you're into camping as it's right by the beach and about a twenty minute walk into town. I'm not sure of the legalities of camping on the beach as we got thrown off by the ranger a number of years ago. If you ring the pub, they may come and get you if you're in need of a drink. If you want to go a bit more upmarket, you really can't beat Merimbula. Great beaches, heaps of accomodation and lots of clubs.

DUXNUTZ
12th Apr 2005, 10:48
Would give Coffs a go. The airport is right on the coast and the many hotels in the area will pick you up from the airport. Nightlife in town and did i mention the beach?!?

Folks at the aeroclub (hope it still exists) are a friendly lot and will look after you.

propelled
12th Apr 2005, 11:12
Hey Guys, thnx 4 the replies so far...

Ultralights, I'm confident to do a longer distance nav... its just that i wasn't confident on what i was to do when i arrived at a new aerodrome- eg: fuelling/parking..... but your info has been helpful Re: re-fuelling... thnx.
BTW, those B&S balls sound like fun- i gotta check one of those out soon:ok:

Cheers EPIRB + DUXNUTZ... merimbula sounds like a good one to do in summer, and I think coffs is a goer real soon..

Thanks again for sharing your knowledge and if any1 else has other good ideas/info post them up..

Cheers

Ultralights
12th Apr 2005, 11:29
with the refuelling, its always worth adding, "Ring destination to confirm fuel" to your planning checkilst.

always best to check before you leave! i have heard romours that fuel bowsers are being removed from some airports from lack of use....... (wonder why)

oh, and the card i was refering to is an Avgas fuel card, Mine is from BP. NOT an everyday Eftpos card.

though im not sure if an eftpos card will work? never tried it. anyone? will an normal bank eftpos card work to pay for fuel at an aerodrome bowser??

Transition Layer
12th Apr 2005, 12:27
I'd have to agree with start small and work your up. I took some mates up to Cessnock from Sydney last June long weekend and was the first time i'd flown friends away somewhere, despite having a fair bit of charter time.

We had an absolute blast, and whilst the airport is a little way out of town, it's not much of a taxi ride. Make the flight a little more intersting as well by heading up the Lane of Entry and continue up the Central Coast. The proximity to Bankstown probably means you won't have to refuel either, but if you do, i'm pretty sure there is a bowser. Get an instructor to take you to the self serve bowser wherever u train and run through the procedure (although IMHO this should have been part of your PPL training).

Cessnock turned out to be great, especially a great Irish pub out in the vineyards called Harrigans. In the area there is plenty of accom to choose from, vineyards aplenty and believe it or not, plenty of skirt to chase. Lots of p1ssed Sydney girls on weekends away looking to misbehave (or so i've heard ;) ).

Cheers,
TL

*Lancer*
13th Apr 2005, 00:46
If you go to the Hunter, don't bother hanging around Cessnock or Maitland... get a Maxi into Newcastle. Plenty going on there on Wednesday, Fri or Sat. Trains run from Maitland, but you need to get a taxi from the airport to the station, and its a long train trip.

Port is good. A few good places to have a drink along the river, some good pubs/clubs. and some great beaches. Very, very quiet outside of uni holidays though.

Coffs, same same.

The best time to have is up on the GC. It's not that hard to find - expecially if the weather is good, although its at least 3 hours each way...

Check out www.aeroclub.com.au

Lancer

EngineOut
13th Apr 2005, 06:11
Definately ALWAYS ring to confirm the fuel. A lot of airport's fuel information is not accurate (even major ports), and sometimes the phone numbers are wrong. It might list that is has 24 hr Carnet operated bowser, at you turn up and there is no fuel at the field at all. Nothing worse than getting somewhere with min fuel on board and the nearest fuel is an hour's flight away!

Ozgrade3
13th Apr 2005, 09:27
As allways remember the rule of the 6 P's

Pror Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance.

I'll add points as i think of them.

Where ever you go, do your homework.

Make sure your charts are up to date. Have coverage incase u need to make diversions or jus want to go somewhere else.

If you're hiring your aircraft from a school, make sure you take the fuel carnet card. Beware a Mobil fuel card wont be Accepted by a BP truck and vica versa. Allways have some cash in reserve, as some places only take cash.

If you can stretch an extra hour in each direction, the Gold Coast is the pace to go. Accomodation is plentiful and you can find some good deals.

Yóu've done the work to get to where you are, having passed your flight test etc, so back yourself a little. Trust your judgment. Be confident in your abilities without being over confident.

Anyone who has done trips away with friends will tell you it can be the most challenging thing you can do. The pressure placed apon you, bot by yourself...wanting to please your mates, and them wanting to get there(after all, accomidation is paid for, the bar and the chicks are waiting for you to get there etc etc). Dont let yourself be pressured into making a bad decision. You will understand that pressure if you need to divert or even cancell the trip due Wx etc.

Point out clearly to your friends, and I'm assuming they are not aviation people, that when it comes to the flight, you are the pilot in command and while you will do your best to get them there, and back, your decision is final and there are to be no arguments.

Dont forget to look after your passengers, make a trip kit like the charter guys do> a small esky will do, put in some sandwhiches, biscuits, nibblies etc. Dont forget some water and something to keep them occupied. nespapers, magazines etc.

Dont make sectors too long, a 4 hr direct flight might be ok for you, but for people that who may not have been in a small plane before will find it extreamly taxing. Plan for a lunch stop or two along the way.

Work hard to make the flight as smooth and noneventful as u can, try to find the smoothest level to cruise at, plan your decent carfeully, no more than 500 ft per min on descent and make sure you have some minties for you pax to chew on during the descent. Monitor your passengers for ear problems on the descent.

Its hard work, but in the end its very satisfying. Great learning ground for when you go on to charters at a later stage.

Feel free to PM me if you want any advice.

propelled
13th Apr 2005, 22:53
Thanks for these replies guys...

I've found them very helpful and I'm looking forward to doing the trip real soon.

Have a good weekend.

Ultralights
14th Apr 2005, 08:52
and dont forget to let us know how you went!

Daniel Beurich
15th Apr 2005, 11:05
i havent flown to any of these places but ive been on holiday to a few, and know some people who have;

Cessnock, northwest of Sydney,
Port Macquarie or Coffs Harbour, nice and simple if you feel like coastaling it.
Albury, through Canberra.

these are all nice places to spend a night or two, enjoy your trip :)

Daniel

propelled
26th Apr 2005, 07:43
G'day,

I Ended up going to port macquarie for the long weekend and it was a great flight both wayswith no probs at all
..... It was good to get out of the local area and make the flying practical.

Thnks for all the replies and I'm goin 2 start planning the next trip soon.

Cheers.