PDA

View Full Version : CD/DVD Burning software

gas path
11th Apr 2005, 15:36
Having just reformatted this old machine it's now running Win 2K pro. In Windows media player is embedded a basic Roxio burning software that works ok but my question is should I buy a full version of this, I think it's Roxio media 7 or something or go for Nero?
Or indeed is there anything else folks could recommend?:confused:

Conan the Librarian
12th Apr 2005, 18:18
Well, here is a lateral one for you. If you buy a retail Nero, Roxio or anything else, look between £35 -£50. If however you treat yourself to a new DVD or DVD RW drive - same with CD and CDRW then you can pay £50 for the drive - and get the OEM software bundled free.

Depends how old your machine is and what spec it is, but if something in the line of (a little arbitrary, I admit) Athlon 800/P3 upwards, then you have a viable machine for some time to come and a new, much more capable drive might give it a bit of pazazz.

Just a thought... :-)

amanoffewwords
12th Apr 2005, 23:35
I recently purchased a copy of Nero reloaded (ver 6) for my Dad - it's absolutely awesome (deserves an americanism too!).

Well impressed with the ease with which were able to capture a film from video and record onto DVD - it was a piece of cake compared to Videowave which has been an absolute nightmare and will be going for sale on eBay to the first mug that comes along :E

Well done Nero!

ps: it does loads of other things - even scheduled backups if you have XP - free trial not available from their site yet, but has mentioned before it sometimes comes bundled with DVD writer - which is how I got my own copy with an LG device.

Sheikh Your Bootie
13th Apr 2005, 11:59
Has anyone a clue how to get the Nero software to talk to the DVD-RW DRIVE. Its an ACER Aspire Laptop, Maybe the driver needs updating??? Anyone any ideas?? Or guide to online help

SyB. :zzz:

mikedurward
13th Apr 2005, 12:07
Hiya

DVD Shrink works for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And its FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

spannersatcx
13th Apr 2005, 16:33
Sheikh Your Bootie, which Acer is it and what writer does it have installed? Compatibilty list for Acer bits can be found here (http://www.nero.com/en/recorders.php?manu=Acer&lang=en) is yours on the list?

Conan the Librarian
13th Apr 2005, 18:04
Acer Aspire, eh? Bought one two weeks ago and very impressed, apart from the dismal battery life which comes from it being a P4 3000. Mind you Acer do say that they class it as a desktop replacement rather than a full mobile. Interestingly enough, I did have Nero on mine for a short while, before dumping it and putting Roxio on it.

If I can assist in any way, just PM me. I think I gave Nero away but will check if needed.

Good luck!

mikedurward
13th Apr 2005, 18:14
Gas,

I have just thought about another thing you may look into.

If your copies of Roxio or Nero did not come with the writer you are using then they may not work. Software that is bundled to some of the burners is hardware specific. You may need to buy a FULL LEGAL copy.

Mike

gas path
14th Apr 2005, 00:10
Mike
The CD writer (lite-on 48*12*48) came bundled with Nero 5 (states on cd will only work with that particular drive!!) but as I didn't find it very 'user friendly' and I've just reformatted and loaded on Win2K pro I thought I'd possibly try something else. I found that Windows media player comes bundled with a very basic Roxio burning software and wondered what folks thought of that? Roxio or Nero that is the Question!:ok:

spannersatcx
14th Apr 2005, 13:14
I've found nero to be best for my needs. Had easycd (roxio) for a while, not quite as good as nero, in my opinion that is.

Speedpig
17th Apr 2005, 19:13
I use Roxio Easy CD/DVD which I think is their latest offering..... upgradeable on line.
I have had more success with that than any other burn ware.
Again, it may depend on your hard ware... my DVD writer is LG something or other (I'm at work and unable to glance between my legs to see the model number) and had to do an online upgrade with LG before it would work at all, with any software. Check that you do not need to do the same.

criticalmass
19th Apr 2005, 09:49
I bought two Plextor writing optical drives, one for CDs and one for DVDs, the Plextor 708A SCSI drive. It came with Nero and it works beautifully. The Nero burning software actually outperforms the burning engine in my Sony DVD Architect authoring software.

Reading the Sony Media forums, it becomes apparent one of the smartest things you can do is download the latest firmware upgrade for your CD/DVD burner...this can solve some intractable problems.

I know it's corny, but since they're selecting a new Pope, we now have the situation where "Rome Fiddles whilst Nero burns!"