PDA

View Full Version : Sea King over London

noisy
11th Apr 2005, 12:34
Wasn't sure the best place to put this so I plumped for R&N.
I looked up as I came back from lunch and saw a SAR Sea King overhead, heading towards the centre of town from the north west.

I presume this is some kind of mercy flight, patient transfer or something of the kind? Not many people get into serious trouble on the serpentine.

Just wondering,

N

Edit: Think I just heard it again. Didn't catch sight of it, but it sounds different to the usual squirrels.

robpow
11th Apr 2005, 12:39
Saw it circling over South London, Southwark-ish for a couple of minutes. It must have made about 5-10 laps in a perferct circle before it headed out NW over central London.

Matt

egld0624
11th Apr 2005, 13:45
Hi All,

Just a pure speculative guess but we do get the odd non civi non-sightseeing whirly-bird around HMS Belfast/HMS President...depends which guest we have moored up alongside...

kind regards

EG

:ok:

Anne.Nonymous
11th Apr 2005, 13:57
If it was green in colour - Navy - sightseeing

It is was yellow - RAF - lost

Anne :O

noisy
11th Apr 2005, 14:16
It was a yellow SAR helo, probably off on a jolly.

WHBM
11th Apr 2005, 14:23
There are plenty of these, sometimes in formation, possibly once a week (also Chinooks) coming up the heli route along the river, working Thames Radar and/or City Tower. Nothing unusual.

tom24
11th Apr 2005, 15:58
And what was a Kingair doing, going round and round in circles around Tower Bridge this morning at about 1,500ft???

pax britanica
11th Apr 2005, 16:07
Interesting about the King Air Tom24 since I was puzzled to see the same type flying just north and I mean just north of the M4 at about 1500ft one day last week. As I was at Heston Services right next to LHR when I saw it I was puzzled as i ddint think any non LHR aircraft were permitted that close to Heathrow. Anyway it proceded serenely westwards and disappeared into the clouds.

Are such flights allowed so close to Heathrow thiswas probably slightly less than a mile north and parallel to 27R
PB

yintsinmerite
11th Apr 2005, 16:15
Just seen a yellow sea king heading sort of south west, very low level near Euston

brabazon
11th Apr 2005, 16:19
Charlie Kennedy coming back from Farnborough to check on his Missus?

mfaff
11th Apr 2005, 17:04
The Sea King heading north could well have been going to land in Regents Park to transfer a paitent for Great Ormond Street Hospital.

I've seen a number of helos landing there, RAF Sea Kings, Bristows Sea Kings, AA A109s with a GOS Ambulance in attendance...preferred landing spot is right at the north end, east side by the zoo. The grass area is easy to clear of users and access from the Outer Circle is easy.

As for the King Air I have seen it as well, a road watch type mission, with Capital Radio?

Just a thought.

Capt. Vilo
11th Apr 2005, 17:25
I know they use a kingair for ILS calibration ????? maybe.........

No comment
11th Apr 2005, 17:35
I think Capital FM's flying eye is a King Air... often wakes me up buzzing around Purley Way. Nice when its rubbish weather and comes in rather low. Beats an alarm clock...

Capt. Vilo
11th Apr 2005, 17:37
Capital use a Seneca out of EGSG(Stapleford) with a couple of other radio station presenters.