PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Shortage or Not!

AllInGoodTime
10th Apr 2005, 13:40
This is driving me crazy. Is there a shortage coming or not. I keep reading articles suggesting there is. This months Aircraft and Aerospace - suggesting it is getting very hard to find qualified crews. Is this accurate, are the airlines going to have to dramatically reduce minimums.
If there is a shortage coming, why in the hell do airlines keep insisting on pilots paying for endorsements. I am finding all this contradiction crazy.

Can anyone answer this?

cheers

John Citizen
10th Apr 2005, 22:06
I believe there might be shortage of "qualified crews", in terms of "qualified and experienced Boeing/Airbus" pilots.

However I don't believe there will ever be a shortage of "qualified CPL/ATPL pilots".

It all comes down to the definition of "qualified".

I think "qualified" means a space shuttle endorsement and 3 orbits, etc. and not a basic CPL with 200 hours.

Hatchet Harry
11th Apr 2005, 02:41
I agree with the statement above...... No shortage of people with CPL, IR and 2000 hrs piston/turboprop etc world wide, just shake a tree and a dozen low time Pilots will fall out:oh: :oh: :oh:

The "Shortage" as is regularly advertised by flying schools and Aviation literature (written to get people into flying to make $$$$$) relates to the people out there with experience
(5000 + hrs) and thousands on Boeings and Buses that airlines can pick up and employ with a requirement for little training......

Don't believe this BS at all.... There will always be many applicants for that first jet job etc, and it would seem that there are quite a few who will always be happy to pay for the job:yuk:
so this practice will continue.....

If you are one of the lucky ones that make it to the jets in Oz then the future might be looking good overseas..... But for those who are still flying piston twins and light turboprops times still are and probably always will be tough:{ :{ :{ :{

you'll be right son
11th Apr 2005, 05:21
Tend to agree with the above. Although now is probably as good a time as any.

Just to provide an example, signed up to staffcv the day I got 500 multi command which was a few months ago now. Applied to about 6 companies and so far my details have only come up once from an employer search.
:(