PDA

View Full Version : Hours on acft type count towards CPL?

TLAW
10th Apr 2005, 07:51
Okay,

This might sound like a pretty dumb question, but hopefully someone can give me some guidance here.

The hours toward a CPL must be on a registered aircraft, correct? Does this include non-VH registered aircraft, i.e., gliders, ultralights, etc?

RYAN TCAD
10th Apr 2005, 10:31
As far as i know - no. It must be in powered a/c.

Although ultralights may be ok, but someone else will have to confirm this.

If in doubt, ring CASA on 131-757 and ask to be put thru to flt-ops.

scrambler
11th Apr 2005, 16:12
Assuming 200 hr CPL
CAR 5.115 (1) gives break down of hours

CAR 5.115 (4) lists what can be included as extra time.

For the 150 hr CPL it all has to be in a registered aeroplane CAR 5.111 (2) refers

And to note that Gliders are VH registered Aircraft, but not a recognised aeroplane.

TLAW
12th Apr 2005, 07:28
5.115 states that 100 hours must be in a registered or recognised aeroplane, while the additional flight time note implies that a glider is not a registered aeroplane.

I couldn't find a definition of registered aeroplane, but I assume it means a powered aeroplane.

If that is the case, am I right in assuming that 100 hours must be in a powered aeroplane, and the rest can be in a helicopter, gyroplane or glider (not a hang glider?)

Perhaps I'm being very dim, but interpreting law was never my strong point.

scrambler
12th Apr 2005, 15:38
Yep thats the way i read it too

nikmark
16th Apr 2005, 14:08
Good bye Nik!

:mad:

Woomera

Lasiorhinus
21st Apr 2005, 10:29
A "recognised aeroplane" can be:

A VH- registered, powered aircraft.
An aircraft on the register of another country.
An ultralight, provided it is of the 3-axis control type. This means it has a yoke or control stick like VH planes, but cant be weight-shift controlled. Powered parachutes are not OK, Jabirus or Gazelles are fine. Basically as long as it has an engine that needs to be on, and its controlled in the same sense as heavier aircraft, then you can count the time.

I'm doing the same thing, hour building for my CPL right now. I have N-registered aircraft and ultralight time in my logbook, and if all goes to plan some ZK- time logged later this year too.

desert goat
22nd Apr 2005, 01:49
What about powered gliders, e.g. grob 109?

swh
22nd Apr 2005, 02:40
As per CAR 2

recognised aeroplane means an aeroplane:
(a) that is on the register of aircraft kept by a Contracting State; or
(b) that is operated by the Defence Force of Australia or of a Contracting State.

recognised flight time means flight time that is:
(a) in the case of flight time in a registered aeroplane, or a recognised aeroplane — flown by the holder of:

(i) an aeroplane pilot licence; or
(ii) a student pilot licence; or
(iii) an overseas pilot licence that authorises the holder to fly aeroplanes; or
(iv) a pilot qualification issued by the Defence Force of Australia, or of a Contracting State, that authorises the holder to fly aeroplanes;

The Grob 109 does not require a licence to be counted towards the recognised flight time

Would count as additional flight time as per CAR 5.115 (http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pastereg/0/51/0/PR002970.htm)

The CPL test form (http://www.casa.gov.au/manuals/regulate/fcl/form090.pdf) is fairly to read, and may help your understanding.