PDA

View Full Version : mounting a Jeppesen manual beneath the window of A319/A320/A321

Philip Mew
10th Apr 2005, 06:01
My company is about to make a switch from in - house charts to Jeppesens in mid - April.
Does anyone have a suggestion or method of mounting the binder beneath the window of an Airbus ?
Sure beats taking out individual pages and placing them underneath the clip.
Incidentally, not all of our A319/A320/A321 have the sliding table.

Dream Land
10th Apr 2005, 15:47
If your Jeppesen binder isn't too heavy, you simply pull out the window shade, now set the bottom of the binder in the clip at the top of the shade, this will hold the entire binder in the window. :ok:

Dream Land

Philip Mew
10th Apr 2005, 16:15
Our Jepp binders are about 6 cms. thick and weigh about 3 kilograms, a fairly heavy piece.
Will it stay in place if in turbulence on approach?

Dream Land
11th Apr 2005, 02:18
Sounds like you may be pushing the envelope, my technique is to open the binder and lay it atop my flight case, this is ok for daytime flying but lousy for night ops with the new lights. An option might be to make up a smaller binder for frequently used destinations??

Dream Land

Philip Mew
11th Apr 2005, 05:14
You're quite right, the Airbus lighting does leave much to be desired, in my opinion. The smallish type doesn't help either.
Does a smaller binder, say 1 inch, exist for the Jepps ? No joy on either the Jepp website or eBay.
Is it true that the rings on a Jepp manual are propriterary,
that is to say, different from " standard " binders ( the rings are not spaced apart equally ), making it unlikely to find a non - Jepp binder that the pages would fit into ?

Jetavia
11th Apr 2005, 07:50
Philip Mew

Actually if you look closer in the pilotshop on jeppesen.com (choose Canada) you will under - Airway Manual Accessories > Binders > Leather Binders .. find the following binder..

http://www.jeppesen.com/wlcs/images/catalog/products/AM621135-tn.jpg

AM621135 - Standard Leather 1 inch Binder

Our price: US$52.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Constructed of 90% genuine leather fibers, making this the best quality bonded leather on the market today. Manufacturer's life cycle is 15-20 years. 1-inch Rings, finely crafted with steel hinges and safety locks to secure the rings. Available in brown only.

It is also available in plastic..

AM621131 - Superior Plastic 1 inch Binder

Our price: US$27.00
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The SUPERIOR PLASTIC BINDER offers an economical alternative for the protection of your Jeppesen charts. All binders available in brown only.

Philip Mew
11th Apr 2005, 08:06
Great !
Thank you .

Tinstaafl
11th Apr 2005, 16:44
Bloody loathe the Jepp. (& Aerad) binding method. A right pain in the arse having to remove & replace plates every f$%^ing time. It doesn't take long for the pages to tear through the holes.

Much prefer Oz DAPs or US NOS ('NACO', I think they're called now) with the flip over binding. If only Jepps. & Aerad would offer the same!

Sawbones
11th Apr 2005, 22:19
Philip,

I have a one inch Jepp Manual which I salvaged from a former employer which I think will be very useful. (It used to be the Jepp North Atlantic binder). I am also in the AC transition to Jepps and plan on simply pulling out this book which will contain every destination I have for the upcoming month.

On a related note ... I would like to ask if there are other operators out there with the Airbus cockpit tables installed who are also not permitted to use them during take-off and landing. I realize there is an Airbus weight restriction on them, but I somehow think this is a Company imposed restriction preventing us from using the tables during this phase.

Would appreciate any feedback with a comment including the airline you fly for if indeed others are able to make use of these tables during take-off/landing.

Thanks in advance.

Blacksheep
12th Apr 2005, 04:33
Paper Jeppesens? Good Lord, why operate 'Les Airboose' if you're so behind the times. Try the Less Paper Cockpit concept and buy into the digital age properly... :ok:

nosefirsteverytime
13th Apr 2005, 20:37
D'you think a Jeppesen mounting system would sell well if I produced it? ;)