PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Exams

MediaMonkey2004
7th Apr 2005, 20:45
Hi!

I am currently abroad and have a lot of time on my hands and sadly a lack of funds to start flight training... My question is:

Is it possible to do a distance learning ATPL course and sit ATPL examinations without already having had flight training?

I understand ordinarily people would have a PPL, IR and probably be 'hours building' toward a CPL when they do their ATPL exams, but just wondered since I have time?

Thanks for your help.

All the Best,

MM :cool:

jb5000
7th Apr 2005, 20:47
I'm not the most well informed on this topic, but I know for certain that at Oxford on the APP they do all of the ground training before even setting foot in an aircraft.

I'm sure its possible to arrange a course however you want to do it.

MediaMonkey2004
7th Apr 2005, 21:32
Thank You for your reply. That is very good news.

As I'll be self-sponsoring my training, I think the modular route would be best.

I understand having a Class 1 medical is a must, along with possibly doing the GAPAN tests.

I thought I may commence by doing distance learning ATPL's; then when I can afford to:

Private Pilots Licence
(Multi) Instrument Rating
Commercial Pilots Licence
Instrument Rating
Multi Engine Rating
Frozen Airline Transport Pilots Licence
Multi Crew Co-Operation Course

I believe thats all licenses necessary for an airline career?

Would there be any limitations in the sense of - if I done the ATPL exams... would any check rides have to be completed in X amount of time; or anything like that?

Sorry for the 101 questions; just trying to get it clear in my mind... In-between researching ways to realise the finances for my career ambitions.

Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers

thebeast
7th Apr 2005, 21:52
mediamonkey, im not 100% sure about this but i think that if you are going the modular route you need to have completed an ICAO ppl prior to sitting any atpl exams.

Obs cop
7th Apr 2005, 21:58
MM,

As far as I recall the following applies,

be careful because jb5000, is talking about an integrated course, but from your post you are looking at modular.

The modular route does unfortunately impose the condition that prior to sitting the ATPL exams you must have completed a recognised distance learning or full time course. I have worded it so because these training organisations will insist you hold a PPL prior to commecing the course, but in reality the books are commercially available (at extra cost from Transair) so theoretically you could buy them and start your studies early. However beware as the books are very hard going in terms of volume of material and they are generally sold for experienced pilots to convert existing qualifications, so they are lacking a support network. Without this I fear you would be overwhelmed very quickly.

A distance learning course will cost you a little under £2000.

A more normal route is as follows:

Medical
PPL
ATPL's concurrent with Night rating and hours building
CPL
Multi and IR combined
MCC

This is in effet a CPL/IR with the neccesary bits bolted on becoming a fATPL. There is in fact no such licence as an fATPL, just a CPL/IR with all the multi crew training, multi engine ratings and ATPL exams added.

My advice would be don't bother looking at the books until you have your medical and PPL. Lastly there is no time limit between starting you ATPL studies and the first exam, but once the first exam has been sta you have 18 months to complete the rest and then a further 36 months to obtain your CPL and IR from passing your final exam. Hope this helps,

Obs cop

smith
8th Apr 2005, 10:23
You must be in possession of an ICAO PPL before you can start ATPL studies. And you must be on an approved course. You can not just buy the books, read the exams and sith the tests. You must also do the approved course classroom study (1-2 weeks per module) before you are elelgible to sit the exams.

MediaMonkey2004
8th Apr 2005, 11:58
Thank you for your responses.

As it would appear not to be a viable option, I wondered if I could ask everybody two questions:

1. Is there anything I could do between now and having the necessary funds to undergo pilot training which would be useful in the short or long term?

2. Funding. The age-old question. From what I've read on this and other forums there seems to be five ways of funding this sort of training (supposing there are no scholarships around): Lottery, Parents, Career Development Loan, Professional Studies Loan, or work work work...

So to develop this into a question: How did you fund your training? Any advice / suggestions in this regard?

I've been considering the Career Development Loan (though from my research this is only up to the value of 8,000 and can only go towards CPL training)... Also the Professional Studies Loan... Though I'm unsure as to if the banks would find me a viable cause - I do not have debt, however I am only qualified to GCSE, University Foundation Level. From what I can see, the majority of people the banks have lent money to - appear to have degree's and a viable back-up career plan?

And finally, work work work - I'm currently resident in a country where cheap labour is employed therefore narrowing opportunities; as it is a requirement that to fulfill any higher paying job (on par with the western world), you have to have a degree coupled with 2-10 years experience (no joke)...

So, if anybody has any suggestions as to how I could best use my time to work towards a career as a pilot, I look forward to hearing from you.

Hi ho, hi ho its off to work we go dum de dum de do dum de... oh dear!

Thanks.