PDA

View Full Version : Training Pilot - Advice

Gary Moore
7th Apr 2005, 14:35
Hi all. Just looking to get some answers and advice on some questions that I have regarding the industry that I am hoping to get into. I have gotten advice from my instructor, however I would like advice from people who have actually experienced what I am about to do.
I am currently training for my PPL in Ireland and hoping to go on to fly for say Ryanair. I know that next is my IR, then CPL and then Multi engine. Whats next?
I know the time it takes depends on the student but I am 29 at the moment. How long does it normally take to go from PPL to ATPL and flying 737s etc.
I have been told to expect to pay 40,000 euro for the course as far as Multi engine, then I see that it costs around 21,000 Euro to get rated for Ryanairs 737-800s. Is this a realistic figure?
One option I was thinking about was going to America and doing the whole course, family etc. does not allow for that anymore. What is the best course option in the UK and Ireland.
Finally, at present I earn a good wage as a DJ. I am prepared to sacrifice this as I want to follow the passion that I have for flying so much. However, it is very hard to get information about salaries with the airlines. I just want to get an idea of the average wage starting off up to the first few years.
Thanks for your advice in advance. As you can see, alot of questions, but I don't know where I am going at the moment.
I would especially like to hear from Pilots operating out of Dublin and how they got into the Industry!
You can email me if you don't want to leave a post at
[email protected]

Cheers
Gary

RoyHudd
7th Apr 2005, 14:57
Try contacting Barry Lang, at Gulf Air. Former DJ of some standing, (DriveTime), then at TransAer. Good guy. I don't have his address, sorry, but am sure he would be happy to advise.

Gary Moore
7th Apr 2005, 15:02
Was just talking about Barry actually. Small world. I suppose I could contact his brother Gerry and find out how to get in touch with him.
Think Barry went to America for his training. I am not in that situation myself unfortunately. Top Radio DJ aswell!
Thanks,

Just realised this is in the wrong section.
Good start eh!
I have moved it to the Wannabe section.
Cheers
Gary

stefair
7th Apr 2005, 16:03
Hey Gary,

That's alot of asking... ;-)

I'm a wannabe myself and about to get my FAA PPL this summer. Currently, I'm an Aero Eng student. I'm doing it just in case it won't work out with a flying career as a professional. Plus, I think it'll be an additional qualification worth mentioning in my CV, which will hopefully make me stick out.

Anyway, all I know is that you need to get an MCC besides your CPL/IR Multi. It'll increase your chances of getting a job with an airline.

It usually takes up to 18 months for either completing an integrated or modular course. If you don't get an airline job right away after you finish your training you may be well advised to consider working as an instructor or in any other position that gives you hours. I'd say currently you'd need from 600 - 1000 PiC in order to be considered for an interview.

Do yourself a favour and please forget about the idea of buying a typerating. If you have too much cash left over--which I doubt, but if, please get in touch with me and I'll let you know my bank details--get a typerating. I for one, never ever would! I'm going to spend enough funds on my flight training and at one point there's got to be an end to it! Only if you and other wannabes agree on following ripp-off practices as the like of Ryanair, working conditions in this industry will deteriorate even more.

To get an idea of the starting salaries at Ryanair, just visit their website. You shall find it under 'careers'.

Generally, I can tell you to get a foot in the door is lots of hours, especially as much Multi as possible, good connections to a person within the operation you want to join and, of course, a great deal of luck to be at the right place at the right time!

Good luck!

Gary Moore
7th Apr 2005, 16:15
Cheers for the advice. So the best bet would be to do the training, build the hours and keep applying for jobs. In the meantime I could look at instructor to keep me going.
I was under the impression until recently that Ryanair where one of the better payers and employers. They have advertised on their site salaries in the range of 70k for F/O with 3 years exp to over 100K for Captains! You seem to hear alot more about their work practices lately. It kind of puts a jam on my plans if they are bad to work for.

stefair
7th Apr 2005, 16:55
Well, I was recently flying with them and when deplaining the a/c I saw clearly liquid--presumably oil--leaking from the engine...

I did not really make me feel comfortable about them after all. Always keep in mind that a Low-Cost Carrier has to safe funds somewhere. I doubt that they keep the same high standards as i.e. BA! I might be wrong but it'd make sense, wouldn't it?

I've also heard about the practice of temporarily employing Polish F/Os for the sake of their much cheaper salaries--EURO2,000 a month! Dunno, but Ryanair don't appear too sympathetic to me. Then again, us rookies shall not to be too demanding as an airline job may be considered as winning the lottery these days...

FlyingBeachball
7th Apr 2005, 17:29
It very interesting to read your comments stefair, as I am just to embark on commercial training myself. I've planned into my finances type rating courses which is expensive, about the same as CPL/ME/IR ATPL courses put together. I've already achieved my PPL some while back.

From your point of view is not about the ratings, but the hours and experiences you have logged.