PDA

View Full Version : Do the RAF need Northolt?

hobie
7th Apr 2005, 10:59
Noticed this over on R&N ......

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=170048

Do the RAF need Northolt? ......

Fg Off Max Stout
7th Apr 2005, 11:20
Given the revenue generated by the RAF having its own commercial bizjet airport there should be no doubt that we hang on to it.

That said, I'm sure some Air Marshal will arrange for it to be privatised, probably shortly after he buys shares in the company.

This is how it always is.

The Green Scopie
7th Apr 2005, 11:32
It's also near Paddington Green Police Station, to welcome back people from overseas :E

teeteringhead
7th Apr 2005, 11:37
The RAF might not, but HM and El Presidente do.

pr00ne
7th Apr 2005, 12:31
Seeing as how there is a massive redevelopment programme kicking in with an additional 1500 staff and dependants moving in from other London sites I think Northolt will be around for a while.

jEtGuiDeR
7th Apr 2005, 12:51
pr00ne,
Surely that is an early indicator is is earmarked for closure!! ;)

GeeRam
7th Apr 2005, 14:40
As a long time local resident to RAF Northolt I sincerely hope it stays a RAF base.

It already has a high proportion of civil flight use as it is. Don't see why that can't continue under RAF control.
Unless Prescott is eying up the land for yet more ruddy houses. The traffic is bad enough as it is, and there's 750 new homes being built about 1.5 miles away. The local traffic system can't cope with anymore...

And, after all RAF Northolt is one of the oldest airfields, having opened as a RFC airfield in 1914-15 IIRC.
And it's also the last RAF operational 11 Group Battle of Britain base left.

But then, sentiment has never been a consideration in such decisions.....:rolleyes:

hobie
7th Apr 2005, 15:01
Northolt is such a nice tidy airport on the outskirts of London ...... I certainly hope it would never be turned into a housing estate :(

What do the RAF use it for, apart from the "Queens Flight" ?

Cat5 in the Hat
7th Apr 2005, 15:52
There is a part time squadron of blanket stackers, and the ACRHQ (LASER).

And a sports bar (is it still there?).

Mobile Muppet
7th Apr 2005, 16:11
Still a few RAF at NHT..

32 Sqn (Aircrew only)
AIDU
Air Movements
CAD
OPS
RAF Police
and of course the token PTI and a few other posts. Sorry if i missed you out.

I believe the QCS and Mill Hill are looking at moving over a some piont. I have fond memories of my tour, just a shame they contracted most of the RAF posts out.

SmilingKnifed
7th Apr 2005, 16:25
Seem to recall a recent staish using money paid by private jets to deck out some nice flats for the singly officers. IMHO an excellent use the revenue.

(I also got to perv over Geri Halliwell so have very fond memories of the stn:ok: )

GodisMyCopilot
7th Apr 2005, 19:34
any idea what those islander's do there all the seem to do is circuits over my house! are they just the station commaders toy?

PPRuNe Pop
7th Apr 2005, 21:17
When a thread is displayed on one forum it is almost certain that moderators have decided it stays where it is. If we had wanted it to move here we would have done so - but then we do not allow multiple posts.