PDA

View Full Version : Airport Opportunities - Canberra

CanberraGuy
7th Apr 2005, 10:11
Hi,

With the holidays coming up I'm thinking about going out to the Airport with a couple of resumes to try and get some work with one of the aviation related businesses.

I've been working for about a year now, and I want to be a pilot when I've finished school so I'd only be able to work one Saturday or Sunday per week due to study. I'm wondering if that would be possible or whether I'd be wasting my time.

I'm not posting as a request for work and I'm sorry if this is the wrong section to post in (or if it is an inappropriate post) but I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any jobs that I may be able to apply for around the airport with only one shift a week required from me. This work could even be voluntary work if it means I'll be able to build myself a bit of a reputation around the place that could lead to paid work.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

CanberraGuy

apache
8th Apr 2005, 00:36
This work could even be voluntary work if it means I'll be able to build myself a bit of a reputation around the place that could lead to paid work

Son, I know you are keen... but don't EVER work for free!

puff
8th Apr 2005, 01:04
Well he did say he wanted to be a pilot apache!

apache
8th Apr 2005, 11:46
True... but there are PILOTS... and then there are PROFESSIONAL pilots!!!!

aim for the second!

Transition Layer
9th Apr 2005, 03:47
CB Guy,

Good to see you're keen, but working for free is taking it a little too far! I doubt any of the larger airlines would take you on until you are around 18 yo and finished school, so perhaps target one of the flying schools or larger GA/RPT operators. Try Brindabella, Vee H Aviation etc (not all that familiar with the Canberra scene though).

You could find yourself polishing aircraft, sweeping the hangar floor, topping up oil bottles etc etc...all good practice for when you get your first (or second or third!) flying job.

Holidays is the best time to get yourself known, but make it clear to them that once you go back to school you'll only be able to do it once a week. Who knows, it may suit them as other staff want weekends off. Then when the holidays roll around next, they might be able to give you a couple of days a week.

I worked on the ramp for a while whilst doing my training (as did many other pilots i know) and we have all found the experience extremely valuable, understanding how the industry works and meeting some great people along the way.

Cheers,
TL

CanberraGuy
9th Apr 2005, 12:55
Thanks,

Believe it or not when I originally posted the idea of voluntary work seemed like a good one...Your right, I was way off course...

I've got no problem polishing the planes or sweeping the place, those jobs are already better that of my current job and it's all experience,

thanks again,
CanberraGuy

Reverseflowkeroburna
10th Apr 2005, 01:35
Yeah CBG, working for free is great for developing a reputation...........as a Prostitute!!!

As for one day a week, why don't you drop in to the previously suggested companies and see if you can persuade them into making Sunday their weekly aircraft spruce up day! If they have one that gets especially grubby on a mid-week job, then they can either get a full-timer to do it or you might want to make a special effort in the interests of developing that "good working relationship." Then there are fridges, lounge, office etc etc.

I once worked with a guy who started by walking in the door saying "I'm here to wash your aeroplanes, where's your sponge and bucket?" He was a full-timer driving a turboprop before he had a 1000hrs!!

Never underestimate the value of a good work ethic!

Good luck! :ok: