PDA

View Full Version : Training at different outfits

El` Cannibiso
7th Apr 2005, 01:26
Hey all,
i have decided to give getting a PPL a crack, maybe if all goes well go onto a CPL. Around where i live there are a few flight schools, all roughly within the same driving time, but offer a completely different environment from eachother. One is at a controlled international airport, the other an uncontrolled strip in a rural area with grass as far as the eye can see.
Where as one offers the ability to concentrate on the physical aspects of flying and not having to deal with anyone else, the other more or less throws you in the deep end - something i'm going to have to learn in the end anyway. So the idea sprung to mind to learn at both, perhaps rural first, then half way through PPL goto the city outfit. I realise that this probably isn't all that smart for continuity sakes, but are there any good reasons why this would be a bad idea? And if so, which of the two outfits would be more beneficial to learning?

Thanks heaps,
EC

Piltdown Man
7th Apr 2005, 09:24
In reallity, power fying (as opposed to gliding) is not much to do with handling (the physical aspects). It's mainly about preparation, organisation and management. Therefore, I'd suggest that you go to the controlled airport, but with one proviso - you don't want to spend a fortune holding and orbiting whilst the commercial traffic arrives and departs.