PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good chief pilot?

Aussie FI 3A
6th Apr 2005, 08:17
Gday
Im fairly new to charter flying and im still trying to figure out how best to deal with a full time CP of a large company, my previous experience has been with smaller companies and non-dirrect supervission. Beyond the strict letter of the law, what specific actions/attributes make a great chief pilot as opposed to an avergage or lousy one?
I'm also after some pointers for conflict resolution when differences of opinion arise. How do you go about raising and resolving issues without ending up the kiss **** or the pain in the ****

Erin Brockovich
6th Apr 2005, 08:57
pointers for conflict resolution when differences of opinion ariseFrom what I have been told, don't bother with your current cp if you're at nac. The people I know who have had any regular conflict with management in that company in the past have been employed by QF. Guess what, the kiss asses haven't. Stick to your guns, do the right thing and keep your integrity and reputation. Doing this is not easy in GA but it is respected by the ones that count.

Now, a cp should represent the pilot group and casa within the company structure. Not be the GMs bitch and bully. I would have to say actions/attributes of a great cp include -

INTEGRITY
Honesty
Ability
Reliability
Stability (mental)
Have realistic expectations
Have a conscience
Use their memory and not forget where he/she started....................anyone feel free to add to the list.

Believe it or not I have had a cp like this a few years ago. You will meet all types in this industry. The good ones make it worth while.

Richo
6th Apr 2005, 13:17
Aussi FI

I have been a CP in the past, and I have also met some good ones and some less effective ones, but luckily never a BAD one.

Truthfully all CPs are good at some times and poor at others, our memory of them is dependant upon which side we fall.
Without going into a full lesson on leadership, I beleve that what makes a good CP is very subjective. But that a good CP is just a good person with good interpersonal skills with good knowledge.

I note that most CPs come from within the pilot ranks and that no training is given to them on how to do this job. Especialy in the man management and leadership roles. In fact most bosses don't want CPs to do that anyway.
Therefore I am not surprised that most strugle with this aspect of the job.

Erin started a good list, but it really is a lot longer and again very subjective. The real job of a CP in todays PC climate is of a safety manager. Using the rules and regs along with ops procedures and experiance to get the job done, while promoting a safe environment and culture within the company and the industry.

To answer your real question, as I see it.

You are you, don't try to be somone else just be yourself and do your job as you have been trained and as you have learned along the way. Listen to new advise and the experiance of others. I does not matter where, or from who it comes, sometimes it is good advise. You make the decision.

If you don't like something(safety in particular) say so, but do it in a way likely to engender respect and thought.

Don't build walls of personality or hate, and DON'T ever BURN BRIDGES that you may need to cross in the future. People are different, we must eitrher live with that fact or move on/away to other things.

Richo

(Yea I know, there is some serious CRAP in there)

Ang737
6th Apr 2005, 22:51
Someone who brings the best out in his crew...

Or hers, sorry ladies

Continental-520
8th Apr 2005, 13:00
i) Someone who knows their stuff...from both an operational/safety aspect and management aspect,

ii) Someone who sets a high example for suboordinates and aims high, and

iii) Someone who EARNS respect of both superiors and suboordinates, rather than DEMANDS it.

True respect can only be earned, not demanded.