PDA

View Full Version : How steep are takeoffs?

JohnnyRocket
5th Apr 2005, 19:26
Can anyone tell me here how steeply do aircraft take off at? How many fpm do you punch in on the autopilot?

From the ground it looks very steep - maybe 4000 fpm on initial takeoff?

So what rate do you take off at, say in a 737? Would it be the same for a 777?

During the 2nd part of the climb what rate is generally accepted as the norm? Say 3000 fpm?

The Greaser
5th Apr 2005, 19:45
No fpm is punched into the autopilot. Either max take off thrust or a derate of up to about 20% is selected via the FMC depending upon the weight and environmental conditions. A V2 speed is calculated for the takeoff weight and entered in the MCP (autopilot) panel. After rotation the flight directors will command a pitch to give an airspeed of approx. V2 + 20 (about 150knots in a 737-700) this normally gives a rate of climb of between 2000-3000fpm and a pitch attitude of between 15 and 20 degrees.

Rainboe
5th Apr 2005, 19:45
You don't control with fpm. If you set that, the aeroplane may only be able to maintain that climb by reducing speed, with unhappy results. You set the power and let it do its thing- you are more concerned with retracting flaps and accelerating at about 1000' or 1500'. On the Classic, we couldn't quite make Burnham out of London at 3000' (10 miles away). The 747-400, even at max weight, can do it easily. Shorthaul aeroplanes go up like a bat out of hell incomparison. I won't even describe the Learjet- I think they must have afterburners.

chiglet
5th Apr 2005, 20:33
From the "tower" at Manchester, certain types [E145] seem to rotate and climb rather quickly...possibly due to the moment arm [legnth between nose and main gear], whilst some a/c [B707 was a "classic"] just "ease" off the runway.
watp,iktch

Intruder
5th Apr 2005, 20:54
All depends on TO gross weight relative to max gross weight...

At light weights, the 744 uses up to 20 degrees pitch, and will push over 4000 FPM clean. Heavy, it's more like 11-12 deg pitch, and 500 fpm while accelerating and cleaning up...

LukeEGTE
5th Apr 2005, 20:58
At what point is the thrust reduced to climb power, and the VS/FMC verticle profile climb rates used?

Thanks.

CaptainSandL
5th Apr 2005, 21:46
It depends upon the airline. We use 1500ft aal but my previous airline used 1000ft aal with the same aircraft type. It can be higher if terrain is an issue.

Note that climb thrust is not always less than take-off thrust. We often use less than full thrust for take-off to save engine life, yet we use full climb thrust to get to altitude quicker. Result is that sometimes at 1500ft the thrust levers go forward!!

Intruder
6th Apr 2005, 00:20
At what point is the thrust reduced to climb power, and the VS/FMC verticle profile climb rates used?

Climb thrust is set at 1500' or at a certain flap retraction speed (Flaps 5 for the 747), depending on which of 2 standard departure profiles is flown. V/S is seldom used in the climb, and FMS Vertical Nav is used whenever available.