PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Fairey story?

treadigraph
5th Apr 2005, 12:23
Been thumbing through the latest Aeroplane with an article about the Swordfish...

This has caused some grinding of rusty, neglected cogs in the archives area of my brain and retrieved a memory of a blackish hangar with "Fairey" written on it... Those recollections place it at Heathrow in the late 70s and visible form the Queen's Building.

Am I right? Or am I thinking of somewhere else...?

I do distinctly recall the Air India hangar roughly where VAEL is now.

Cheers

Treadders

Tiger_mate
5th Apr 2005, 13:13
Fairey Aviation had a hangar on the east seide of Manchester Ringway if my recollections are correct.

Kolibear
5th Apr 2005, 13:18
Wasn't Heathrow built on what was originally Heston airfield, which was Fairey's 'home base'??

treadigraph
5th Apr 2005, 14:06
That sounds authentic T_M - can't see the pic, my defences are less severe at home, so hoepfully I can have a gander later on.

Cheers

The SSK
5th Apr 2005, 15:20
Wasn't Heathrow built on what was originally Heston airfield, which was Fairey's 'home base'?? Heston's about three miles away to the North-East. The BA Speedbird Club has (had?) its facilities there, playing fields on the old airfield grass.

I\'ve been going through the Skyliners book of pix taken at LHR in 1962. There\'s no Fairey hangar in sight, but a very large black one on the South Side with HUNTING-CLAN written across it in big white letters, except the -CLAN is very faint.

Is this the one you were thinking of?

PPRuNe Pop
5th Apr 2005, 16:11
I'm with Kolibear. My gran lived in Heston and I recall visits to her both during and after the war, and of seeing Lancaster's, and Lancastians, on finals to 'Hounslow Heath' I think it was. On a trip on the bike I would cycle round the byways for two or three miles and there was this lovely white building (painted white after the war) which belonged to Fairey's. Hunting was much much later.

WHBM
5th Apr 2005, 17:00
I believe the M4 Heston Services are built on the site of Heston airfield. There used to be old aerial photos of the airfield and surroundings on the wall of the restaurant on the westbound side (the new building put up after the original westbound services were destroyed by fire) some years ago; possibly they are still there.

Bof
5th Apr 2005, 17:05
Kolibear and PPrune Pop

I was a Fairey Aviation apprentice from late 47 to Dec 51. The apprentice school was at Heston and I used to cycle to work every day fom Hayes. Faireys didn't have a very big presence, but The Heston Aircraft company were there and were producing the Heston AOP, a twin boom job with a rear mounted pusher
piston engine mounted between the booms. I think they only built one or maybe two airframes and it never came to a firm order. It used to cruise round over Faireys main factory at Hayes at around 1500 ft. making a noise like a buzz saw and flew very slowly. The apprentice school then (around 1948) moved to Hayes. All our final assembly of the Firefly was completed at White Waltham. During my time we were making the Firefly and Gannet and the Experimental Dept was producing the Gyrodyne, and if my memory serves me right, the Rotordyne. That gorgeous FD2 came later, but my failing memory tells me that was done at Manchester.

Every lunchtime it was on the bikes down the road for a quick half hour at LHR taking pics of Lancastrians, Yorks and Tudors as well as Lincolns on ferry to Argentina. I still have the pics of most of the aircraft of BSAA that disappeared in the Carribean.

In those days you could wander all over the maintenance area on the East side. Anyway I digress. Happy Days. So Heston definitely north east of LHR.

PPRuNe Pop
5th Apr 2005, 17:56
Bof, thank you for that. The mists of time fade the memory but you always know for sure that parts of it are as crystal clear as ever. Sitting on a swing in gran's garden and watching the Lancs and Lancastrians just a mile or so away is one such memory.

How about getting those pics out and placing above in our own archive. They will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

PPP

Maybe one of your famous airfield visits eh Doc? I'll be up for it, no matter what's left!

PPRuNe Pop
5th Apr 2005, 17:56
Bof, thank you for that. The mists of time fade the memory but you always know for sure that parts of it are as crystal clear as ever. Sitting on a swing in gran's garden and watching the Lancs and Lancastrians just a mile or so away is one such memory.

How about getting those pics out and placing above in our own archive. They will be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

PPP

Maybe one of your famous airfield visits eh Doc? I'll be up for it, no matter what's left!

treadigraph
6th Apr 2005, 12:16
Thanks for the replies folks, unfortunately still can't see Tiger_Mate's pic for some infinitely cunning reason.

Reckon that I must have seen a picture of the Manchester hangar in the past and my mind has superimposed it over that of the Hunting hangar at LHR, which I do now recall, full of HS125s, the Shell GII and, no doubt, Tim Mills' beloved Falcon 20s!

Research has revealed a Fairey hangar adjacent to the central area at Heathrow up to 1964, when it was demolished to make way for further development - think that this may be it? (http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=103396&WxsIERv=Sbxxre%20S-27&WdsYXMg=Nre%20Yvathf%20-%20Vevfu%20Vagreangvbany%20Nveyvarf&QtODMg=Ybaqba%20-%20Urnguebj%20%28YUE%20%2F%20RTYY%29&ERDLTkt=HX%20-%20Ratynaq&ktODMp=Znl%201962&BP=0&WNEb25u=Zry%20Ynjerapr&xsIERvdWdsY=RV-NXT&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=722&NEb25uZWxs=2000-08-19%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=&static=yes&sok=JURER%20%20%28lrne%20%20yvxr%20%271962%25%27%29%20NAQ%20 %28ZNGPU%20%28nvepensg%2Cnveyvar%2Ccynpr%2Ccubgb_qngr%2Cpbha gel%2Cerznex%2Ccubgbtencure%2Crznvy%2Clrne%2Cert%2Cnvepensg_ trarevp%2Cpa%2Cpbqr%29%20NTNVAFG%20%28%27%2B%22urnguebj%22%2 7%20VA%20OBBYRNA%20ZBQR%29%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20Q RFP&photo_nr=13&prev_id=104272&next_id=103395) Not that I recall it personally, I was born in '64!

Bof, totally agree with PPP, please share your photos of that era with us! :ok:

Which reminds me: I have two reels of 16mm cine film shot in the 1950s bearing the enigmatic scribble "LAP" (London Airport?) and "Air Display". I will hie them down to Jessops for transfer to VHS or CD.

Cheers

Treadders

PaperTiger
6th Apr 2005, 15:16
I can confirm there was a building (possibly a hangar) to the North of the A4 and well to the East of Heathrow with large FAIREY letters on it. IOW not the one 'converted to a fire hall' on the airport.

I stopped flying ex-LHR in the late 60's but I think it was still there then.

Tiger_mate
6th Apr 2005, 19:41
You can see the picture here:

Manchester Airport (http://photos.airliners.net/477515820e7656fdadd022eb24de043f/4252915a/photos/3/6/3/226363.jpg)

There is a small black hangar in the background with Fairey Aviation and the logo painted on it. Fairey assembled aircraft there during WWII and the hangars behind still bare the wartime paint.

Alternate link (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/226363/M/ )

If it all fails than airliners dot net word search "Ringway" years "all of the 60`s"

treadigraph
7th Apr 2005, 07:00
Many thanks Tiger_Mate, got there with the third link! Not the hangar that I am thinking of though, I suppose I should accept that time and advancing age have indeed corrupted my brain.... :ok:

Cheers

Treadders

Tim Mills
7th Apr 2005, 07:41
Only one Falcon 20 in those days I think, Treaders. We had another couple later, one owned by Datsun UK, and one borrowed from France, French registered, which caused a certain amount of confusion when the French controller understandably answered us in their own language, and we had to ask for a translation! Not always ideal when going into Le Bourget on a busy day.

By then I think the Hunting hangar had been taken over by Terminal 4, and we lived in the new Fields Hangar. Great days. I did like the 125 as well, but F20 my favourite by far. Wish we had had a F50 in my day.

Tim

Bof
7th Apr 2005, 13:08
PPrune Pop and Treaders

Re the pics. All in black and white I'm afraid. Let me have a search for the negs. If no joy I'll scan them in to the PC and txfer to this thread. Cheers Bof

WebPilot
7th Apr 2005, 16:25
The above posts have it about right - Heston is now under the M4 services and the Parkway Trading Estate - the main road leading into the latter is still called Aerodrome Rd. Some remnants still exist as part of the trading estate.

Heathrow was developed from Fairy's Great Western Aerodrome - originally it was going to be a bomber base ( I think) but by the time construction was advanced enough for use, the war was drawing to a conclusion and it was clearly not needed for offensive operations, and instead was designated as the new London Airport.

Well, it seems I had it close:

This is an interesting twist -

http://www.heathrow-airport-parking-uk.co.uk/heathrow-history/

Blacksheep
8th Apr 2005, 07:57
You're not imagining it treadigraph. There was a big black hangar type building with "Fairey" on it in big white letters located in an open area off the back road from Hayes to Southall. It was visible from the old British Airways club that was over that way. I believe it was associated with their hydraulics business. Its hard to imagine today, but there was quite a lot of aircraft manufacturing going on down that way until the seventies. Westland built Puma helicopters in Hayes.

treadigraph
8th Apr 2005, 16:10
That must be the one - probably saw a photo of it...

Cheers for your replies folks and looking forward to Bof's period pics!

ATSA2
18th Apr 2005, 10:20
Just to muddy the waters a bit, I do recall seeing an article in an aviation mag a few years ago, about early Heathrow.
The FAIREY hangar did exixt on the south side for some time, it was pre war, and its continued existence was due to some legal wrangle the Fairey's had with the air ministry. This went on for years, and the hangar was finally demolished sometime in the mid sixties I think. I used to live around that part of the world for about 20 years at various RAF locations, and I used to fly models at Cranford park, whiuch is just across the road from the old Heston aerodrome. the model club had been in existence since 1933, and pre war, was allowed to fly on Heston at weekends i beleive! (the owner was also a keen model flyer) I always thought it was strange being allowed to fly models so close to Heathrow ( about a mile north of the BA hangars) but I was told we had been there longer than Heathrow had, so we had sort of grandfather rights! good to see some Heston stuff on here, wasnt it where Chamberlain waved his piece of paper in 1938?

WHBM
18th Apr 2005, 16:18
Heston was where Chamberlain returned to in 1938 (in Lockheed 14 G-AFGN), it was then the base for the then British Airways, which at that time was a privately-owned independent based there, operating US-built Lockheed 10As and 14s across northern Europe (Imperial Airways ran a very diverse British fleet from Croydon to southern Europe). The two airlines were merged at the end of 1939 into BOAC. Berlin was in the British AW sphere of influence which doubtless influenced the choice of carrier.

http://www.bamuseum.com/images/large/30-40/30-40_16.jpg

Orange Arm Waver
19th Apr 2005, 07:07
I seem to recall it was Fairey's airfield before the MoA took it over for development in 1948 (?)
It was originally expanded to take long range bombers near the end of the war but that finished before it became operational. It was then ear-marked to become London Airport and the rest as they say is history...

I remember the Hunting-Clan black hangar...

Dr Jekyll
19th Apr 2005, 08:28
I believe the old Fairey airfield was on what is now the southeast corner of Heathrow. To put it another way, southeast of Heathrow village which was where the central area now stands.

The old Fairey hangar was supposed to have been used as a fire station for Heathrow for a time.

Woomera
19th Apr 2005, 12:44
Bof. Off thread I know, but the Heston AOP (http://www.airwar.ru/enc/spy/jc6.html) - what an interesting looking aircraft!!!

BikerMark
19th Apr 2005, 17:25
Yes, there definitely were large sheds in the NE LHR area with Fairey on them. They were next to the Speedbird Club in Heston. I well remember them from visits to the club in the 1970s with my parents. They were also clearly visible from Cranford Parkway (the A312). Demolished around the late 1970s/early 1980s as far as I can recall.

Mark.

pr00ne
19th Apr 2005, 23:37
Tiger_Mate,

The black hangar marked Fairey at Ringway was used by the Fairey company for a long long time after the war, the latest that I am aware of was around 1975 or 6 when it was associated with some Trislander activity.

Woomera,

What an odd layout for an AOP type, I can never work out why anyone would give an AOP type anything other than a high wing, rather like the Miles Messenger?

Woomera
20th Apr 2005, 02:50
Errr ....... What's an "AOP" type?

One gets the feeling the Heston AOP may have messed with the genes of the Vampire jet, although I realise the parentage is different!

The Heston AOP looks neat - but I suspect with only a De Havilland Gipsy Queen engine (around 250 HP???) it's more show than go!

Orange Arm Waver
20th Apr 2005, 06:23
AOP = Air Observation Post

Tim Mills
21st Apr 2005, 05:42
Staying off thread, and on to the AOP variation, I'm sure I saw an Optica today over Sydney. Invented in Bodmin, I think, with a Wankel motor driving a ducted fan, I think one or two were tried out by the police in UK instead of choppers. Must look a bit like the Heston. Didn't know any were still around, specially here.

treadigraph
21st Apr 2005, 07:30
Tim,

Just found CASA's version of G-INFO - VH-BMC is an Optica registered to a gentleman in Narrabeen NSW. Doesn't mention C of As, but presume it's current.

Interestingly it claims that the aircraft has a skid undercarriage - Shurely shome mishtake... :confused:

Tim Mills
22nd Apr 2005, 11:01
Thanks Treaders, I thought I might have been having a 'senior moment'! Makes sense. No doubt he flies from Bankstown, quite a lot of light traffic from there where I saw it. But skids? Didn't notice, will take more notice if I see it again. Can't think so, no snow hereabouts, and the Sydney beaches too full of surfers!

Tim

treadigraph
22nd Apr 2005, 11:37
Did a bit more googling, apparently the Optica is based at Hoxton Park (or was in 1998 - suppose that's a long time ago!). No mention of the skids being under it, so I imagine it was a CASA blunder...

Red Spitfire Driver
1st May 2005, 22:56
The following bits & bobs are taken from;

Heathrow:2000 years of history by P. Sherwood, Sutton Publishing 1999.

The Great West Aerodrome

Charles Richard Fairey (1887-1956) - formed his own company in 1915 The Fairey Aviation Company , with factory premises in Clayton Road, Hayes. HQ and further factory premises at Harlington. Using Northolt for test flying.
In 1928 given notice to vacate the Air Ministry aerodrome of Northolt.
Search for new site near Hayes. Fairey's test pilot had made a forced landing in 1925 at a large flat field at Heathrow.
1929-1943 Land aquired by the Fairey Aviation Company at Heathrow. By middle of 1929 180 acres aquired. Last plot aquired November 1943, making total acreage 240.
1944 Great West Aerodrome (Heathrow) airfield requisitioned by Air Ministry, and temporary arrangements made to allow Fairey Aviation to use Heston Aerodrome for flight testing.
1947 Fairey aviation evicted, yet again, by the Air Ministry.
Flight testing moved to White Waltham, more than 25 miles from the factory at Hayes !!

The Defence of The Realm Act allowed the Government to requisition land without paying compensation. The Government & Fairey's entered into a long legal battle, (was the area agricultural or industrial? etc).
This legal battle continued until 1964 - twenty years after the airfield had been requestioned! - when a sum of £1.6million was finally agreed.

The legal wranglings meant that Fairey's hangar at Heathrow could not be demolished until the question of compensation was settled. The hangar thus survived until 1964 and was the last of the original buildings at Heathrow to be demolished.

The Fairey Hangar was situated South East of the Queen's building before runway 23 (or 'Runway2' if you look at an old guide).