PDA

View Full Version : RNZAF to replace UH-1 with NH-90

Ex Douglas Driver
5th Apr 2005, 04:40
http://media.apn.co.nz/webcontent/image/jpg/nh90_helicopter.jpg

NZ Herald Article (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10118815)

Air Force personnel at Ohakea have already started to prepare for the arrival of new NH90 helicopters that will replace the ageing Iroquois.

The NH90 helicopters will replace the Air Force's 14 Iroquois which are 40 years old. The Government is still to decide what will replace the Sioux training helicopters, which are even older.

Buying the NH90 helicopters and new training/light utility helicopters is expected to cost between $400 million and $550 million.

NH90 field tests are just beginning in Europe and the choppers are the cutting edge in military helicopters, commanding officer 3 Squadron Wing Commander Ron Thacker said.

"We will have them for 30 to 45 years so it's preferable to get them at the start of their life."

The first of the NH90 helicopters is expected to enter service in 2009, and Wg Cdr Thacker said there was a lot of training and preparation to do before the helicopters arrived.

The new choppers operate better than the Iroquois in bad weather and have a larger freight capacity, so will be good for the search and rescue operations carried out by 3 Squadron.

Defence Minister Mark Burton said New Zealand uses its medium-utility helicopters on missions to such places as the Solomon Islands, East Timor and Bougainville.

"They also provide important support to the police and civil authorities in New Zealand, in activities as wide ranging as disaster relief, search and rescue, firefighting and counter-drug operations."

The Government has not decided how many NH90 helicopters will be purchased.

Meanwhile, the Australian Navy has grounded its remaining Westland Sea Kings helicopters following the crash that killed nine aircrew and medical staff during an earthquake relief mission on the Indonesian island of Nias two days ago.

The 30-year-old Sea Kings - the Aussie Navy's workhorses - had been upgraded to extend their working life for another decade, but the crash has raised concerns over their future.

- NZPA

Hope the RNZAF gets more than 6, we know the government can afford it and defence need the capability........

Fox3snapshot
6th Apr 2005, 09:01
2009 eh? By then Palmy will be the nerve center of civilization and my house will be worth a fortune....I reckon if I mow the lawns and hose the Speights cans off my roof I could get 10 Grand for it!

:E