PDA

View Full Version : Learning in Wellington

El` Cannibiso
5th Apr 2005, 00:53
Hey all,
this is along a similar line as the Kapiti Aero Club thread, but just interested in peoples comments on some of the other aero clubs in the Wellington region.
I've done minimal flying (5hrs), and have decided to commit some funds and go for a PPL with the possibility of continuing to commercial if all goes well. Looking around there appear to be a few places one could undertake training, and from the Kapiti thread Kapiti sounds like a great place. So what about some of the others, such as Ace Aviation in Masterton, or Wellington Flight Centre in Wellington? I have noticed some price differences amongst all, but am interested in which in your opinion gives the best training, value for money, and best environment to learn in (ie Wellingtons busyness vs Mastertons not).
Thanks heaps!

Sqwark2004
5th Apr 2005, 01:55
Hey El,

I can't speak from experience, as I have not had anything to do with any of the clubs/flight organisations in the Wellington area but, depending on where you live (for consideration of petrol $) I would choose Kapiti first as it has a resonably quiet environment, a nice long runway to learn on, has resonably nice weather and is less than half and hour from Wellington, Palmerston North, Feilding, FoxPine and Ohakea, by air.

With all the above factors taken into consideration this means that you can learn the basics before been chucked in the deep end but at the same time cruise over to Wellington or up to Palmy if you want the exposure of bigger airports when you get more experience. You will also get more flying for your money.

Hope this helps

S2K4eva.

MOR
8th Apr 2005, 11:13
As far as I know Ace Aviation mainly do tailwheel stuff.

The Wellington Flight Centre was once a good school, but declined when it was sold a few years ago. I did my CPL there. They now have a couple of orphaned Beech Skippers (only ones in the country). Not recommended at all, for a large number of reasons.

If you fly from Wellington, expect to spend extended periods holding, both on and off the ground. It will end up costing you more money for less actual training. In addition, the weather will stop you flying on days when Kapiti is very flyable indeed.

Having said all that, it may be more convenient, which counts for a lot. But avoid the Flight Centre... :yuk:

El` Cannibiso
9th Apr 2005, 07:41
Thanks for the replies, I've asked around a few of the places to suss out prices etc. Kapiti appears to be cheaper than the others around, although more of a pain to get to. I have flown from wellington before, and didn't notice that many delays, aside from having to return after only a short while in anticipation of possible delays when returning.

As far as masterton goes, you are correct that it is mostly tailwheel stuff, so is this something that could be a problem?

Thanks again,
EC

MOR
10th Apr 2005, 06:46
I just got a private message from somebody who thought I was dissing Beech Skippers.

I'm not.

When I said "not recommended", I was talking about the school, not the aircraft. The aircraft are great, much better than the Tomahawks. I really enjoyed instructing in them, particularly the "interesting" spin characteristics. It is just a pity there are not more of them about, they are a nice trainer.

I have about 550 hours instructing in the Skippers ESC and ESD, from the days when they were on the line at the Aero Club (who first bought them). This was mainly with the original syndicate guys who purchased them from the Aero Club. The Skipper is the BMW to the Tomahawks' Ford Mondeo - in comfort terms, if not performance.

Hope that clears it up...

On the subject of training on a tailwheel aircraft, no reason not to. You will learn different (harder) skills. However, you will have to re-adjust to tricycle-gear when hiring other aircraft (Wellington-based ones, for example).

If it were me, I'd learn to fly a tailwheel - something I haven't got around to - yet! Apart from a few hours in a Spitfire many moons ago.

Also, there aren't many IFR tailwheel aircraft about, if you want to go down that route later.